Help choosing compound bow

Hey all, I'm looking to get a compound bow. What's the best bang for my buck?
I have been looking at pse, but don't want to spend a ton of money either

If you're on the south shore look up buckely family archery in Fall River. It's a haul but totally worth it. The owners treated me great. I bought a bow from someone on here and they set it up for me, cut arrows, got me a release and had me shooting in the red before I walked out. Great people.

Mathews Mission Craze. Awesome bow for the money. Extremely wide range of draw length and weights

I am partial to Hoyt bows, I currently shoot a Hoyt CRX 32 and I really like it. Can't go wrong with a Hoyt or Mathews in my opinion, both companies make top notch bows.

Find your local Archery shop, for me it's Jerry's Bait and Tackle in Milford. Hang out, ask questions and don't be afraid of used. The hard core guys are always getting the latest and greatest and there are deals to be had. Do not go to Bass Pro where the staff works Archery one day and ladies lingerie the next.

Fit is super important along with arrow length, use a pro who know what they are doing.

I bought the PSE stinger RTS package a few years back and loved it. I think all in it was about $400. Great starter bow. It may not be as light or quiet as some of the more expensive stuff but for shooting targets in the backyard its great.

Go to a dedicated archery shop or a place like the Kittery Trading Post that has dedicated archery assistants. Have them help picking a bow and getting it set up for you. You'll need arrows that match the bow and you. I recommend having a kisser button served to the bow string. As far as bows go, there are a lot of good options. I have a PSE rally and love it. It came with silencers, a whisker biscuit, a three pin sight and a quiver. I bought mine at the Kittery trading post. They will service your bow for life, free of charge. The bow was 379 dollars, ready to shoot.

I would check out the Bowtech Assassin, its defiantly the best option for the money. Its all about how the bow feels to you, because you don't want to buy a bow just because its priced right and looks cool, because your going to need to shoot it a lot to get good at it.

By far Reedy's, they will treat you right!

Reedy's Archery

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

+1 on Reedy's for new equipment.

If you don't mind used, I don't think you'll find a better deal then on archerytalk.com classifieds. It's not unusual to find a 2 yr old bow selling for 50-70% lower then new retail. I have bought many bows on there with no problems.
good luck.

I love my Matthews. Bought it in 1998 and still shoots true. Go see Jerry at Jerry's Bait and Tackle. Be prepared to stay awhile as there's always enthusiasts hanging around talking shop.

Check out some of the bows previous posters have mentioned but try shooting several different bows and see what fits you best and whats most comfortable to shoot...youll enjoy it more if you have a bow that fits you well and is set up properly for YOU.

You really need to go to an archery shop and check out the bows. Go to different ones and try as many brands as you can. I used to shoot PSE's. Now I have a Matthews, but they are not "bang for your buck" bows. Most manufactures have beginner bows that are very good so trying different brands is your best bet. There are some very good bows for starter money.
The question you asked is a lot like asking which is better Ford or Chevy. You can even look at Bass Pro and Cabela's. They carry some affordable bows that are quite good.

Try everything in your price range. Find the one you like the best and have a pro set it up for you. I have shot Mathews for years and love them.

You need to shoot a bunch of bows, then decide, they'er all not the same. Between the grip, draw cycle, valley, and how solid the back wall is, you'll be the only one that will know it the bows right for you.

If you want a budget bow now, and know you'll be shooting this now for sometime, save up and get a flagship bow, or a high end bow instead. I'll bet you'll want to upgrade from that starter bow sooner then you think.

I went to Kittery trading post. The person who helped me set up my bow correctly.
+1 for KTP. I went to KTP a few years ago as well because I am left handed and local shop didnt have the bows I wanted to try. The gentleman helping me was very knowledgeable and patient (I shot 6 different models that day) and ended up going with the Mathews z7. Very happy with the bow and with KTP.

+2 for KTP. Asst Mgr "Gary" spent 2 hours with me going over and adjusting my first compound bow, then setting me up with everything I needed. Very happy with the customer service.

I will check out all the other local shops though - now that I'm hooked!

Check out Tepee Archery in Acton. Great little place run by local Family. Brian Visco runs the shop. His strings are sought after by competition shooters. He finished 15th at the Nationals over the weekend and is ranked in the top ten for Compound shooters for USANT.

Aloha

Thanks for the insight, I'm going to check out a place in Holbrook outer limits proshop. Got it narrowed down to bowtech or pse. But like everyone says I will try before I buy

Thanks for the insight, I'm going to check out a place in Holbrook outer limits proshop. Got it narrowed down to bowtech or pse. But like everyone says I will try before I buy

That place has some nice bows, but just remember when your having them set up your bow, they are an oil business first, This new bow/gun shop is a side gig for them.

You should go and shoot some bows, but as far as them setting it up, and setting it up correctly to fit you, I'd pass...

Check out Tepee Archery in Acton. Great little place run by local Family. Brian Visco runs the shop. His strings are sought after by competition shooters. He finished 15th at the Nationals over the weekend and is ranked in the top ten for Compound shooters for USANT.

Aloha
+1 Brian is a great guy. Hoyt fan, but I dont hold that against him.

I would like to give a +1 on Reedy's in Middleboro. I went to both Buckley in Fall River and Reedy's in Middleboro today. The experience at Reedy's was much better. Being a complete noob when it comes to bows they really helped me out. I mean big time. They let me try several bows - and took the time to set each one up for me to insure I had a positive experience. They changed cams to get the draw perfect for me (26") changed sights, explained the differences between models, features, etc. They took the time to instruct me how to shoot. All in all I was there for almost 3 hours. I think I'm going to end up with the Mathews Mission Venture.
I didn't leave there feeling like I knew everything there is to know, but I left there with enough knowledge I think to be successful in the woods. Honestly it was probably one of the best customer service experiences I've ever had in my life... If you buy a bow from them they completely set it up for you and you also get 5 hours of free range time to practice. If you do their layaway plan you can shoot the bow at their range free for as long as you have it on layaway. They explained most folks put a bow on layaway and don't pay it off until hunting season so they can shoot free all year.

While the owner (Chris) was teaching me how to shoot a bow, a clerk came to ask if he wanted to order lunch. He said no - he was too busy teaching me how to shoot and didn't have time. I actually felt bad about that.... But what dedication to his customers....

What a cool place...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom