Head space surprise

Garys

NES Member
I have three Lee Enfields, 1 each No4Mk1*, No4Mk2, and No5Mk1. Since I plan to shoot them at least occasionally and the No5Mk1 seemed the most likely to have a problem, I decided to get some headspace gauges. I ordered No Go and Field gauges from Yankee Engineers. The advantage of these gauges is that you don't have to remove the extractor to use them.

I did the No5 first. Passed both tests easily. Then I did the Mk1* and I got a surprise. It failed the No Go, but passed (barely) the Field gauge. Then I did the Mk2, which being the newest passed easily. The No5 and Mk1* both had #0 bolt heads. I swapped bolts and got the same results. I then swapped the Mk2 bolt into the Mk1* and the Savage passed fine. I think that at #1 head will do fine, so I'm going to be searching for one on line.

I probably shouldn't be too surprised as the Savage was the oldest and most worn of the three.

Gary

A simple fix when it comes to headspace and Enfields. What you need to do is determine the right size bolt head for yours. Do a search online and you should be able to get some more info. I've never done one but from what I hear Enfields were designed this way for that reason. I'll PM you a link with some info.

That is the beauty of headspacing at the rim, not the shoulder. Bolt
heads from 0-3 are available so you can just swap it out
and you should be in business. This is for No4/No5's. A No1
Enfield is an uglier beast to correct.

F

Back
Top Bottom