Has the Para warthog improved at all?

CBL

I did a search a noticed a few threads from 2006-2008 that the warthog had alot of issues with reliability. Was wondering if anybody knew if these issues have been revised/resolved and if the Warthog has gotten any better?

The Para s**thog is still a piece of crap. Don't waste your money, and I would follow M1911s advice.... G30, or G30SF, ding fries are done, nothing else really compares.

-Mike

Most small .45's have issues. The Colt Officers ACP was horrible when it was introduced. If you want a double stacked Para get a Canadian manufactured P12. I think FS has one now. Para has been sold, what 3-4 times in the last 8 years? They have lasped in quality and customer service but are now turning it around with their now current ownership.

my buddy has the warthog .45....thing's a hot rod. 100's & 100's of rounds through it w/ no issues.

my buddy has the warthog .45....thing's a hot rod. 100's & 100's of rounds through it w/ no issues.

Mine's been perfect too since the day I got it. That said, I can't reasonably recommend it to others just based on the stories and reviews I've read. I must have been one of the lucky ones who ended up with a perfectly functioning Warthog.

Most small .45's have issues. The Colt Officers ACP was horrible when it was introduced. If you want a double stacked Para get a Canadian manufactured P12. I think FS has one now. Para has been sold, what 3-4 times in the last 8 years? They have lasped in quality and customer service but are now turning it around with their now current ownership.

I have a Canadian manufactured P14. Complete POS.

considering the price, and considering it's a 1911 variant, one would think it'd be a quality gun. i think it just doesn't like certain ammo.

considering the price, and considering it's a 1911 variant, one would think it'd be a quality gun. i think it just doesn't like certain ammo.

If you are commenting about my P14, um, no.

It has had many failures to feed, usually near the end of the magazine, with many different commercially manufactured ammunition. No, it isn't just one mag. Yes, all of my magazines are in good condition and were purchased direct from PO. Yes, I've tried replacing springs and followers with new ones from PO.

After a few thousand rounds, the hammer started to follow the slide down. My gunsmith said he'd never seen a hammer and sear that soft. He replaced the hammer and sear.

Now the slide stop notch is deforming.

I've got a bunch of 1911s. My normal carry gun is a 1911. But there is no way in heck I would trust my life to my P14. It sits in the safe until I can get together enough money to have a gunsmith work some magic on it (which will entail keeping the magazines and frame, but throwing away everything else).

As for 1911s and price, first off ParaOrdnance is not at the high end of 1911 prices. Not hardly. 1911s are also known to be finicky, some more than others. Short 1911s, double-stacks, or calibers other than .45 seem to be more likely to have feeding stoppages.

Is buy a RIA officers before any Para. But if you want fully reliable compact 45. 30sf or my current favorite xdm 3.8. The xdm carries a bit thinner than the glock.

If you are commenting about my P14, um, no.

It has had many failures to feed, usually near the end of the magazine, with many different commercially manufactured ammunition. No, it isn't just one mag. Yes, all of my magazines are in good condition and were purchased direct from PO. Yes, I've tried replacing springs and followers with new ones from PO.

After a few thousand rounds, the hammer started to follow the slide down. My gunsmith said he'd never seen a hammer and sear that soft. He replaced the hammer and sear.

Now the slide stop notch is deforming.

I've got a bunch of 1911s. My normal carry gun is a 1911. But there is no way in heck I would trust my life to my P14. It sits in the safe until I can get together enough money to have a gunsmith work some magic on it (which will entail keeping the magazines and frame, but throwing away everything else).

As for 1911s and price, first off ParaOrdnance is not at the high end of 1911 prices. Not hardly. 1911s are also known to be finicky, some more than others. Short 1911s, double-stacks, or calibers other than .45 seem to be more likely to have feeding stoppages.

i wasn't referring to your p14, i was referring to the Warthog. never said it was a high-end 1911, for $700, it shouldn't be considered a high-end 1911. but still, it is a 1911 platform. the one warthog i've had experience with seemed to be reliable, that's all i'm saying. my friend, the owner, loves it and has no complaints.

I have a Canadian manufactured P14. Complete POS.

I'm at the opposite side here with mine, have a 14, 16, & 12 purchased ~ 1995. Shot competition with the 16 for a few years mostly with SWC reloads, never an issue. Pretty much same story with the 14 and 12 for function. Although I shoot hardball only in the 12. The only reason I've never carried the 12 is weight. Too heavy with a full load and the steel frame. I have what I call peening at the slide stop cut out on the 12. I've not seen it on the full sized guns. The recoil spring on the little 12 is super heavy and may contribute to the pounding.

Paras are suspect as far as quality goes,I am pretty sure at least one major dealor here in Ma has stopped selling new Paras due to having to send so many back. THe one para I owned broke its frame within the first 50 rounds of WW box through it. I know N Attleboro PD had major isues when they issued Para LDA's hence why they switched to M&P 45's. I am sure there are some Paras that run but the majority dont YMMV.

Paras are suspect as far as quality goes,I am pretty sure at least one major dealor here in Ma has stopped selling new Paras due to having to send so many back.
I heard that too and I'm pretty sure the reason was crappy customer service. I'm also sure from what I read now they, Para, are trying to turn this bad image. Hard to shake the bad stuff and win customers.

Would I buy a Para now? No, Im in a position to buy higher end stuff now. But my three function so well they've been keepers and I still shoot the P16 every week and it has yet to hiccup. The 12 is fired a couple times a month, enough so I just had Lou at BEC install a beavertail to have it stop biting me.

I guess I won the Para lottery.[laugh]

He is the exception rather than the rule. Out of the half dozen or so people I talked to directly that owned one, only one person has told me theirs wasn't a total pile of shit.

-Mike

Para has poor quality control and horrible customer service; not a good combination. I will never buy another one.

The Para s**thog is still a piece of crap. Don't waste your money, and I would follow M1911s advice.... G30, or G30SF, ding fries are done, nothing else really compares.

-Mike

That's my new plan for now. (the more I read about sub compact 1911's the more i don't want one now....) I know they sell for a premium here (which i dont mind paying *some* premium for being in MA) but damn $700+ is really ludicrous.

If I can't find one I may just end up settling with a MP9c...

CBL, my full size is very accurate very comfortable and ultra easy to use. I was not a fan of the M&P for quite some time, but these guns have come full circle in my eyes. It runs like a violated primate, eats everything, puts em all in the 10 ring if i do my part and fits my hand like nothing I've ever shot. You can also get the glock which is an excellent gun but you will pay out the nose unless you are patient and an in depth shopper.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766268_-1_757753_757752_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

smith says its compliant, check the state list or inquire with a well reputed shop bud.

Dom

Back
Top Bottom