Has Johnny S given up USPSA for IDPA?

At least I wouldn't have to worry about him kicking my butt any more! [wink]

Geeze, you whine about that a lot. [grin]
I understand John's motive and applaud his training for the nationals. Shooting different disciplines is good, and good for excuses when you screw up.[laugh]

Geeze, you whine about that a lot. [grin]
I understand John's motive and applaud his training for the nationals. Shooting different disciplines is good, and good for excuses when you screw up.[laugh]

To his credit... he didn't make any excuses... although he did blame me for his PEs!

What?, No sizzle?, no smell of bacon on the gridle?

For those who just shoot for fun......In case you wondered...

Anyone can devote a month(s), a year(s), many endless hours of practice & spend lot's of cash on big name training classes to get to the "Top".
(they usually steal everyone's brass, because they are really CHEAP!
(spent all their cash on classes)

Bottom line is most can not maintain the effort.
They dream about being as good as a Professional, but just can't do it![angry2]
In both games there are enuf paper masters to wallpaper a room.

Mikey can no longer practice all week & show up to "WIN"[crying]
Quasi is trying to earn his real badge, so playing is out.

As for Me, I have always had much more respect for the true weekend warriors,[party]
Guys like Matt J, who work all week, show up & kick everyones ass, week after week, year after year![wink]

I am still in A class, because, I am an A class shooter.[rolleyes] I enjoy USPSA , IDPA & ICORE.

I even [STRIKE]like[/STRIKE] repect cross shooting trolls [troll], at least they try in both games![shocked]

Again, Great job John!those other whips don't have the balls to play all the games!

Last edited:
You only respect me and not "like" me??? [crying]

I've never been called a cross shooting troll... I like it!

John- 9x21- I'm not sure if Supermoto is going to step in but I can't help myself....

What's wrong with practicing your ass off to be the best you can be- whether it is IDPA or USPSA, or anything else for that matter? Mike is one of the best local shooters around here and yes, it has a lot to do with hard work, it usually is for the best shooters- whether it's locals or professionals. Shooting skills are perishable, the pros will all tell you that.

Sure Matt Joe is also a great shooter- but from my understanding he's put a ton of effort into getting to where he's at as well.

Calling any of these guys paper masters is just off base as they ARE Masters. One other thing- Mike is ALWAYS offering help to new shooters or anyone interested in shooting sports for that matter. Matt, Mike, Rob and countless others also work their asses off running local matches.

Not only are they great shooters John- they are great sportsmen.

If you were just being funny, I missed it this time.

Yes, my little Fire headed troll buddy, you missed the point(s)
Trying to be funny, not really.

First of all I did not call Mike or Quasi a paper master.
I stated that there are plenty of them. which is true. (there are even paper GM's)
One only needs to review Major match results where some never seem to be able to shoot their national percentage.

Mike has long touted the greatness of himself and the Bacon boys, however, they will find out soon, if not already, they will be hard pressed to maintain that high level of superiority that Mikey has claimed, as they go through life.
Mike can't practice for the short term, so his performance will fade,
Quasi is working on different goal, so his priorities are changed for the short term.

Guys like MJ deserve more recognition, as he shot for years, only making M a few years ago.

Me, I like they guys who can just show up, shoot well, year after year, without telling me how great they are.......

True sportsmen would not belittle another shooting sport or the folks who shoot it.

As for helping others, They don't hold the patent.

But, they did steal everyone's brass at Manny's Monson class.......

I have seen many make the mark only to disappear in the last 22 years.

I my opinion, You need to be a Master long after you win the rank.

Talking shit is one thing john, but you better have some f-ing proof that we stole other people's brass before you make that accusation.

We asked everyone in the class if they wanted their brass back, everyone was happy to have us clean the range for them.

Since you weren't there I suggest you shut the f up

Last edited by a moderator:
Not everyone,
Actually got some of my 38 super brass, that I loaned to someone who was there.
That person was asked, said they wanted theirs, you guys scabbed it anyway.
Get your facts straight.

If you can't afford brass, stay the home and shoot airsoft.
You can go pick up your BB's now......

Besides, I think I first introduced : bigcupofstfuxi3.jpg
Go have a cup...........

Did you really just accuse us of stealing? I am not a thief, nor is Mike. You should get your facts straight John.

You really don't want to go there with me Quasi, remember the 170 magizine?
Did not steal it, but you sure needed to be reminded to pay for it or return it.

I was over there when she was cleaning up brass. I left my range bucket for her to go through to pick out any of her brass. Which she did.

I shot over 1200 round that weekend. I got less than 800 back, maybe I should accuse the grass for stealing the rest.

You really don't want to go there with me Quasi, remember the 170 magizine?
Did not steal it, but you sure needed to be reminded to pay for it or return it.

I do remember it. We were at the AFS match, I was having issues with my new gun and mags, you said, "Try this one and see if it runs for you." I did try it and it worked perfectly. After the match you said hang onto it for a while and see if it runs 100%. You never mentioned ANYTHING about selling me the mag.

Then you post something about us needing to square up. I take that as you want to sell the mag, you get the money at the next match. Where was the problem? If you wanted the mag back, you should have used your big boy voice and asked for it back. If you wanted to sell it, you should have given me a price.

I loan my gear to whomever would like to use it, for as long as they want because I know what great people you all are and it will be well taken care of and returned when asked. I also take pride in the fact that many of you have lent me your gear over the years to use as long as I needed, knowing I would take care of it and respect it like it was my own.

It might be the 4 gin and tonics tonight but this is getting too personal for the internet. Can't we all just lay down, see who is taller, and move on?

Post script: Steel guns are for homos! ;-)

Wow has this thread gotton off topic...

Although I do find it amusing I think you boys should start your own thread and have a pissing contest there.
Remember this thread is about Johnny and his quest to buy 5.11 tactical gear.[smile]

Seriously - most USPSA shooter I know do make fun of IDPA shooters that are also USPSA shooting buddies - I've done it myself but only in jest.
I have not tried the IDPA game so I can't knock it. As noted in the first post I'd like to try IDPA and plan to after the Nationals and yes I'll most likely shoot a steel gun - altough I do have pleanty of plastic guns to choose from.

I think trigger time in mixed shooting disciplines is a good thing.
I for one probably shoot too many different shooting sports and I think this is why I have not burned out yet.

So who's up for an IDPA match in November?

Wow has this thread gotton off topic...

Although I do find it amusing I think you boys should start your own thread and have a pissing contest there.
Remember this thread is about Johnny and his quest to buy 5.11 tactical gear.[smile]

Seriously - most USPSA shooter I know do make fun of IDPA shooters that are also USPSA shooting buddies - I've done it myself but only in jest.
I have not tried the IDPA game so I can't knock it. As noted in the first post I'd like to try IDPA and plan to after the Nationals and yes I'll most likely shoot a steel gun - altough I do have pleanty of plastic guns to choose from.

I for one probably shoot too many different shooting sports and I think this is why I have not burned out yet.

So who's up for an IDPA match in November?

Paul, you are absolutely correct, this has got way out of hand. I found the beginning of this topic quite funny and got a real kick from it. now it is just ugly.

Now, I do admit that shooting my first IDPA match was fun. But as I have said before to so many other IDPA shooters, the rules are crazy dumb. With that said, I may partake in another match or two just because it is trigger time in match conditions. I do not see my self buying a bunch of 5:11 gear at this point but who knows, a vest might be in the future.

You guys should come up and shoot the Maine IDPA Championships October 17th. A bunch of us USPSA clowns are going to show up and see how many FTDR's we can get for airgunning[smile]

John- no need for any 511 stuff... a light button up shirt is fine. The rules aren't difficult to figure out... and it's easy going back to uspsa rules. Plus we are good people. :)

I've gotten in to USPSA this year after a few years of IDPA and its' definitely helped my shooting. When I shot the NE USPSA Sectional, my biggest weakness (other than loading a squib that is) was stage breakdown and planning. I was spending so much time figuring out how to shoot a stage that my visualization and burning in my stage plan just wasn't there because I didn't have time. Shooting IDPA is a great place to practice visualization and nailing a stage plan and shooting positions because the plan itself is simpler.

Cross training is great. I shot a season of indoor bullseye (gallery) last winter and it was a huge help. Focusing on pretty much nothing but trigger control has carried over in to better trigger control shooting my IDPA/USPSA gun. Also, shooting slow fire with a dot has helped quite a bit with my shot calling. I'll probably eventually break down and take one of the Open pushers up on borrowing a gun to see what there is to see shooting a dot at speed.

I think the best way to get really good is to focus a lot of your practice and matches on one platform but occasionally try others to see some different things. For me, that's focusing on Production/SSP with my M&P, but also shooting my bullseye 22 and revolver on the side. I'll probably add open to that eventually.

Try an IDPA Back-Up-Gun match: New Bedford has one scheduled for Nov 14th. Get that J-Frame out!

Would my 3" 1911 with 6+1 be considered a backup pistol?

If so, I may hit Lugnut up to share some of his knoweldege of the rules with me and take you up on the offer.

ETA:
I always like the fun, sarcastic jokes and jabs (giving and taking). But guys, I hate to see you attack each other for no reason other than internet posting that trickled out of hand. That is all...

I do not see my self buying a bunch of 5:11 gear at this point but who knows, a vest might be in the future.
John - skip the vest. I want to see you do it in style.
http: //www.janebug.com/pix/mardigras/2004/pimp.JPG (remove space btwn http: and //)

Last edited:
When I shot the NE USPSA Sectional, my biggest weakness (other than loading a squib that is) was stage breakdown and planning. I was spending so much time figuring out how to shoot a stage that my visualization and burning in my stage plan just wasn't there because I didn't have time. Shooting IDPA is a great place to practice visualization and nailing a stage plan and shooting positions because the plan itself is simpler.
Jeff,
That's basis of much of the teasing by long time USPSA shooters.
Don't be afraid to ask what someone else may think of your plan. Advice often isn't given unasked, unless everyone knows each other, like most of us on the squad at the Sectionals.
Come on down to New Bedford on Sunday and further your USPSA education.

Would my 3" 1911 with 6+1 be considered a backup pistol?

I think it would be. Here is the BUG section from the IDPA rule book:
7. Back Up Gun (BUG)
This division is intended for club level matches ONLY and will not be recognized at the annual Championship or any Sanctioned Match. All CoF for the Back-Up Gun Division must be limited to five (5) rounds maximum per string (no reloads on the clock) to allow autos and revolver shooters to compete equally.

Handguns permitted for use in this division must:
A. Be single or double action.
B. Be either pistol or revolver.
C. Be .32 auto or larger.
D. Have a barrel length:
1. Semi-automatic, 3.8” or less (factory installed cone style barrels with or without a barrel bushing are permitted).
2. Revolver 3” or less.
E. Maximum (total) number of rounds that may be loaded into the handgun is five (5).

PERMITTED Modifications (Inclusive list):
1. Revolvers:
A. Sights to another conventional notch and post type (see “sights” in glossary for further information).
B. Grips to another style or material that is similar to factory configuration (no weighted grips).
C. Action work to enhance trigger pull as long as safety is maintained.
D. Bob hammer spur.
E. Chamfer cylinder.
F. Custom finishes.
2. Pistols:
A. Sights to another conventional notch and post type (see “sights” in glossary for further information).
B. Grips to another style or material that is similar to factory configuration (no weighted grips).
C. Slip-on grip sock and/or skateboard tape.
D. Action work to enhance trigger pull as long as safety is maintained.
E. Reliability work to enhance feeding and ejection.
F. Internal accuracy work to include replacement of barrel with one of factory configuration (factory installed cone style barrels are permitted).
G. Custom finishes.

EXCLUDED Modifications (NON-Inclusive list):
Refer to Appendix ONE-A. Firearms-Non-IDPA-Legal Modifications.

I'm a D class reader

Might even be "F" class. But the wives help us with that reading comprehension stuff anyway... [wink]

If you are into shooting the match, you are welcome to shoot the 1911 with me. For some strange reason I have a feeling you are familiar with it...

There are a few of us USPSA/IDPA crossover shooters. IDPA rules aren't that hard. In a nutshell.......

Must use cover and shoot targets in order, ie. slicing the pie. Or near to far if no cover is available.
Don't leave cover with an empty gun
Reloads must either be from slide lock or retain your mag if not at slide lock
All reloads must begin and end from behind cover if available.

Pretty much sums up all the main stuff. Give it a try, its trigger time.

By the way, bull barrels are legal on any 1911 with a barrel length 4.2 inches or less. Not just in BUG matches.

There are a few of us USPSA/IDPA crossover shooters. IDPA rules aren't that hard. In a nutshell.......

Must use cover and shoot targets in order, ie. slicing the pie. Or near to far if no cover is available.
Don't leave cover with an empty gun
Reloads must either be from slide lock or retain your mag if not at slide lock
All reloads must begin and end from behind cover if available.

Pretty much sums up all the main stuff. Give it a try, its trigger time.

By the way, bull barrels are legal on any 1911 with a barrel length 4.2 inches or less. Not just in BUG matches.
Not for me thanks. I suffer from BISTML....."Buzzer Induced, Short Term Memory Loss"

Back
Top Bottom