• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harvard Steel Challange Practice

I see on Harvard's Sportmans Club calander they have a steel challange pratice this Sunday. Is this open to non-members like the Wednesday night practice? I like to give steel a try with my Mark III. I have 4 magazines would I need 6? Thanks for your help.

I believe this is Scholastic Steel Challenge practice.

I see on Harvard's Sportmans Club calander they have a steel challange pratice this Sunday. Is this open to non-members like the Wednesday night practice? I like to give steel a try with my Mark III. I have 4 magazines would I need 6? Thanks for your help.

The Sunday practices are organized by the Scholastic Steel Challenge group, but they are open to all HSC members. Unfortunately, they aren't open to the general public at this time.

Paul Dandini schedules weekday evening practices from time to time that are open to non-members.

I run these SSC practices. The Scholastic Steel Challenge (SSC) program, scholasticsteelchallenge.com, is open to kids ages 12-20. We are in the process of starting a number of teams from towns in the area. So far, we have teams from Wayland and Weston, and kids from some other area towns also join us at our Sunday practices. Kids don't have to be HSC members to try SSC, though we do expect them to join the club if they join a team that uses club facilities.

If you know of a kid who'd like to try SSC, or if you'd like to coach a team or help out as an instructor, please PM me. Kids and coaches are welcome to come to practice and shoot as my guest. There is a parental permission form required for kids, so interested shooters should PM me or e-mail me in advance (jpg at whswarriors dot org).

Since SSC practice uses HSC targets and facilities, HSC members are always welcome. The kids learn a lot shooting with more experienced shooters. If we get enough qualified adults, we'll open up a second pit. Fair warning for the adults who come -- I will try to recruit you to coach an SSC team in your town. It's a great way to give the kids an opportunity to shoot, and get them grounded in the fundamentals.

We shoot Sundays, either late morning or evening, depending on what else is happening at the club. Check the club calendar for times.

Here's another thread about SSC, if you're interested.

Last edited:

We're flexible about equipment at practice. Shooters can use what they have.

You shoot 5 steel targets, shooting against the clock. You shoot 5 times, and drop your worst time. So you need 25 rounds if you don't miss. You load 10 rounds per magazine, and you can start with one round in the chamber. Most people use 5 magazines, so they always start with a full mag. If you run out of magazines, you just stop shooting and go to the reloading table. No big deal.

If you're not an HSC member, you can join HSC, or you can volunteer to coach an SSC team for your town. SSC coaches can shoot as my guest, until they get their own HSC membership.

Thanks for the information coachjpg - sounds like a great program. I plan on stopping in on one of the next few weeks to check it out. I will introduce myself.

We're flexible about equipment at practice. Shooters can use what they have.

You shoot 5 steel targets, shooting against the clock. You shoot 5 times, and drop your worst time. So you need 25 rounds if you don't miss. You load 10 rounds per magazine, and you can start with one round in the chamber. Most people use 5 magazines, so they always start with a full mag. If you run out of magazines, you just stop shooting and go to the reloading table. No big deal.

If you're not an HSC member, you can join HSC, or you can volunteer to coach an SSC team for your town. SSC coaches can shoot as my guest, until they get their own HSC membership.

Thanks for the info. As a former high school rifle team member about 100 years ago thanks for your work with the current young shooters.

Back
Top Bottom