• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harvard IDPA 19 July 09 7 Stages

jkelly

Shooting at the big range in heaven
Sunday, July 19th at HSC.

Registration starts at 9:15.
Safety Briefing at 9:45.
First shots at 10:00.
Match cost is $20.

Seven stages (including one low-light stage) including a complete Classifier. Minimum round count is 160.

The Harvard Kitchen Committee will have lunch available
around noon.

[This was copied from Gene's post to give it it's own title.]

Respectfully,
jkelly

Hello,

I've been thinking for some time now about getting into IDPA, but have not even been to an event yet. If all goes well I'll be there this weekend to check it out.

I know I can take my gun to MA w/out MA permit if it's to a competition, but I think I'll just be going to watch this time.

Hope to make it down and meet some folks from the board and learn a thing or two about the sport.

Sean

Sean,
Harvard is a great place to check out IDPA. I don't think I'm a SO for this match so ask for me and I'll spend a little time with you to answer questions if you'd like. What is your back ground in shooting?

Respectfully,
jkelly

Sean, if you have experience drawing from the holster and have the equipment you need, I recommend shooting. If you leave your gear at home you may regret it when you see how much fun it is.

Hello,

I've been thinking for some time now about getting into IDPA, but have not even been to an event yet. If all goes well I'll be there this weekend to check it out.

I know I can take my gun to MA w/out MA permit if it's to a competition, but I think I'll just be going to watch this time.

Hope to make it down and meet some folks from the board and learn a thing or two about the sport.

Sean

If you show up, you will want to shoot..

jkelly,

My background isn't exactly extensive,but I'm not a total beginner either. Mostly target shooting here at the house, revolver, semi, rifle, shotgun(yeah, i can shoot about anything I like here [grin]).

I know I wouldn't be burnin' up the course or anything, I would be happy to not look like a complete amateur though. Of course, we all have to start somewhere right? Hey, atleast I'd make the rest of you look that much better.

If I did want to shoot, what would I need? I have a G17, Crossbreed IWB(IDPA legal?), eyes/ears. How much ammo would I need? How many mags would I need(don't have mag pouch yet though). Did I read correctly that there will be a classifier this weekend, so I'd find out where I rank?

Thanks everyone for being so helpful,

Sean

PS. Jar, I'm originally from Westford...nice town.

Last edited:
Sean,
Safety is the MAJOR concern at IDPA and USPSA matches, let the SO know you are new to IDPA. You would need a holster, two magazine holders, at least three magazines and a cover garment along with eye and ear protection.
You can shoot just a single IDPA match before joining IDPA, but that's not strongly enforced. Most matches cost $20 to shoot, more for the larger ones.

I think WPRC has an IDPA practice this evening (I'm not sure of the cost) I'd bring maybe 150 rounds and the above equipment. Contact either Chopper, Mike-Mike and/or Negotiator on NES to verify, let them know that you are a new shooter to IDPA.

And/or show up at Harvard on the 19th (bring maybe 200 rounds) and I'd be happy to spend a little time with you to introduce you to the sport and get you started. Many clubs hook you up with an experienced shooter the first time you shoot.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Last edited:
hmm, I was planning on coming to the Harvard match and just watching, but it seems I am being encouraged to participate... I'll bring my gear just in case.
What would you recommend if I had to choose between an MP9 and a 92FS?

hmm, I was planning on coming to the Harvard match and just watching, but it seems I am being encouraged to participate... I'll bring my gear just in case.
You will need a concealment garment, a holster, two magazine holders and at least three magazines, also 200 rounds of ammo.

I suggest you bring which ever gun you feel most comfortable shooting. Make sure to let them know you are new to IDPA so that the Harvard SOs can explain the basics explained to you. You can also ask for me and I'll spend a little time with you.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Last edited:

definitely participate.. I have only participated in 2, and came in last both times..., Sooo much fun though, and worth every minute..

Huge thanks to the MWT crew and all the SO's today. A special thanks for the inclusion of the classifier into this match: I just finished registering the New England Regionals next month! [smile] It was a long day but a lot of fun. My wife Natalie has already said she wants to shoot another match[smile]. Thanks to all the SO's who took the extra time with her today. I think I had more procedurals than she did [rofl] Note to self: "all shots must be taken on the move does not mean stand still and shoot".

Nice match today....Definitely a long day, but well worth it.

Can't wait for the NER!

Steve

PS: Dave, it is 8:10 already, where are the scores?[wink]

Nice match today....Definitely a long day, but well worth it.

Can't wait for the NER!

Steve

PS: Dave, it is 8:10 already, where are the scores?[wink]

Ughh. I just took a quick break- my eyes are bugging out. Don't know if they will get finished by tonight. 57 shooters total but some that didn't finish. I think many just wanted to run the classifier and left. Funny thing.. I can't for the life of me find Gene's scores... [laugh]

It was a very long day.. We left close to 5:00, and there were satill 2 stages left to shoot.. Unfortunately work, and babysitters were calling.. Great time with great people..

Last edited:
Sorry about that Papa Rock. We really pushed it at this match- but there had been so many people asking for a classifier but we wanted to make it interesting with other stages as well. This caused a huge draw and we got a ton of people- which is good but caused a long match. For the new shooters, our matches usually wrap up between 1 and 2... depending on the quantity of people that show up. Last night at practice there were 24 people... this sport is certainly gaining popularity.

Back
Top Bottom