Hartford, CT Appleseed Shoot 4/18-19, 2009

Some of the NY Instructor team has Savage bolt actions with scopes.

Great rifles, great value and they work.

One of the youngest Instructors (currently an IIT) is a lefty and uses a bolt gun.

Anybody that has seen him shoot knows that is just a pure joy to watch.

Those guys can get 10 rounds, down range into or touching a 1" square (at 25 meters, so, this is 4 MOA) in just 15-16 seconds. WITH BOLT GUNS!!!!!!

I'm a Master Instructor with the program, and I own (and love) my Remington 513-T.

Some of our other MI's are bolt gun fans.

So, don't sell a bolt gun short, especially for Appleseed.

Not sure if you meant that toward me -- but I love BA rifles and wouldn't shoot anything else. It's just a personal preference, I guess.

I was saying, however, that I would not like to run with a single-shot bolt action. I prefer a mag-fed BA.

Is a semi auto recommended? what about a scope? The reason I ask- I only have my old Winchester lever action .22 .......of course, It would be a good excuse to buy a 10/22....

Semi-auto is the theme. Appleseed training is based on the marksmanship and marine sniper programs that developed around the M1 Garand, so semi-auto is the Main Battle Rifle idea.

That said, bolt guns are fine, and you get respect if you can keep up and maintain Natural Point of Aim over a rapid-fire string.

Scopes are fine too. Everybody's got one or two somewhere. But... the old line is, what do you do if you drop your rifle and break your scope? Every rifle that can should have some sort of open sights (preferably adjustable) and every shooter should know how to find a proper sight picture.

Buying a 10/22 and fitting it out with a few after-market parts is a game worth trying. If you like rifles, you'll love an LTR!

check out this thread:

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=5316.0

It won't be the first lever rifle used at a Hartford, CT Appleseed.

First one, in 2007, there was a guy with a 336 Marlin or 94 Winchester on the side Fred and I were working. He didn't do too bad, other than reloading issues.

right... lever gun... I didn't even answer that question.

I have seen a 336 on the line as well. This guy could shoot too. A lever will work, but it's tricky to load quick.

Semi-auto is the theme. Appleseed training is based on the marksmanship and marine sniper programs that developed around the M1 Garand, so semi-auto is the Main Battle Rifle idea.
Uh... actually, Dan, I think it was based on the training for the 1903 Springfield... a bolt action. With 10 round COFs, that's just not natural for a rifle that holds 8 in a clip.

That said, if you can afford to buy a new rifle, Big Duke Six, by all means, get a 10/22 and turn it into an LTR. If you can't - then just bring that lever gun and 800 rounds of ammo to Hartford. Will you get as much out of a scoped rifle as opposed to an iron sighted one? Well, no - we teach you how to really use those iron sights - but if you're like me and just can't SEE the bloody target that well - then bring the scope.

.......of course, It would be a good excuse to buy a 10/22....

Check this out for irony in timing:

RugerRimfire.jpg

http://www.hoffgun.com/specials.htm

I'm looking in the wrong places, I guess, but I can't find any info on what happens on each day. What would I get on Saturday, and what would I miss if I couldn't attend on Sunday? Thanks.

Hi all

Hi all. Just introducing myself. Figured I'd do it in this thread since I'll be attending the Hartford AS. I've just started shooting with rifles so there'll be a lot to learn for me. Hope I don't slow folks down any!

Been shooting mostly handguns up to this point. I'm a pretty active poster at The Firing Line, but since I live in Southern CT, I wanted to find a more local forum to hang out in. Looks like a nice place. Looking forward to contributing and leaning.

CJ

I just tried to sign up, and the Hartford Appleseed is SOLD OUT!

So instead, I have signed up for the one in Harvard, MA, to which I guess I will be going a little under equipped with my willing wife. I have and can get most of the items on the checklist for what to bring to an Appleseed, but unless I can borrow a rifle, I will probably be shooting a pump .22lr, with a tube magazine, that was made pre-WWII. I shot it this week, it worked fine, my aim was not so hot. That was the first time I've shot a rifle in eons. My wife will use my Marlin, which is older than she is, as it is a pre-1968 99M1. I shot that this week too. I am trying to borrow another Marlin. Still, we will be bringing what we have and really testing the idea of a real beginner being able to learn to be a rifleman at an Appleseed. At the very least, I believe we will learn a lot.

So instead, I have signed up for the one in Harvard, MA, to which I guess I will be going a little under equipped with my willing wife. I have and can get most of the items on the checklist for what to bring to an Appleseed, but unless I can borrow a rifle, I will probably be shooting a pump .22lr, with a tube magazine, that was made pre-WWII. I shot it this week, it worked fine, my aim was not so hot. That was the first time I've shot a rifle in eons. My wife will use my Marlin, which is older than she is, as it is a pre-1968 99M1. I shot that this week too. I am trying to borrow another Marlin. Still, we will be bringing what we have and really testing the idea of a real beginner being able to learn to be a rifleman at an Appleseed. At the very least, I believe we will learn a lot.

I would check out the Harvard Loaner rifle thread, it sounds like there should be plenty of loaners available: http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60530&highlight=appleseed

I'm going to be heading up from the southeast part of the state each day, not staying over night. Anyone down here or along the way interested in riding together?

That's news to me, all be it GOOD news... I've gotta look into this. If it is sold out, well then... thanks everybody here on NES! If not... I'll get back to you on this one.

I'm shoot boss at this event, but don't have the web privileges to access the numbers for shoots. On our forum, it is still listed as 13 shooters out of 30 possible spots, but that hasn't been updated in a while.

That's news to me, all be it GOOD news... I've gotta look into this. If it is sold out, well then... thanks everybody here on NES! If not... I'll get back to you on this one.

I'm shoot boss at this event, but don't have the web privileges to access the numbers for shoots. On our forum, it is still listed as 13 shooters out of 30 possible spots, but that hasn't been updated in a while.

If it is not sold-out, I'd be glad to switch from Harvard, as I'd prefer to come to Hartford. Please let me know if that's the case.

Actually, it looks like there are in fact 28 signups for Hartford on the appleseed forum counter.

Also, it looks like there's an error on the Hartford signup page. It says the event starts at 1pm, but it really starts at 8:30. kDan, you probably want to get on top of making sure that gets changed and communicated to the people who've signed up.

Or correct me if it really does start at 1pm there for some reason.

It's sold out.

The listing Crak saw wasn't totally current.

There might be 3 slots available, though, as Eventbrite counts memberships and donations same as shooters, for total numbers and sell out, and there was 3 memberships/donations.

Wow, thanks!

Hey guys and gals,

Surprised no one's commented yet on the Hartford Appleseed. I'm sure kDan will show up with a report, but I just wanted to thank the Appleseed folks for providing a great weekend of fun and learning. By far, it was the best $70 I have spent on anything.

True to New England fashion, I think we made 8 (maybe 9?) rifleman out of 36 shooters throughout the weekend. It could have been more, I don't have the exact numbers. But the point is that the group was hungry to learn, we all had a great time on the line and the marked improvement in everyone's collective shooting skill was very impressive -- all due to the training, of course!

Not to mention the history - both the retelling and the remembering of our colonial heritage but also making history by being on the largest civilian firing line assembled. What a treat!

For me personally, not counting the 2 times I shot my rifle to get familiar with its operation, this is the first time I've ever shot a rifle. So I'm pretty much a n00b. I started day one shooting in the high 130s to low 140s on the AQT and being able to put 3 in the 100 yard redcoat silhouette reliably. By the end of the weekend, I was in the high 170s and able to put 3 in the 300 yard redcoat reliably. It's starting to "click in". I wish there was a 3rd and 4th day to get zeroed in on it! But I guess I'll have to come up to the next Appleseed. [smile]

CJ

I made up some targets with 1" squares with the 1/4" grid. There is an "easy" version with black squares and a "harder" version with gray squares. I could only find the 1" squares without the 1/4" grid on the appleseed sight so I made up my own. Make sure that you set "page scaling" to "None" when you print and make sure they are 1" squares.

Here's the post with the targets. I can't seem to figure out how to link the attachment without uploading another copy of the file [thinking]. Tackleberry suggested I post it here so others can see. Maybe we should make an Appleseed related target thread and sticky it?

I just completed the Appleseed Program in Hartford CT this weekend. I would consider myself an avid shooter. I been shooting competitive High-Power for the past 10 years and have shot on a few pistol teams, I have had a firearm or a bb gun in my hand since I was 8. So I would say I had some idea what I was doing when I got there Saturday morning.
I found out by the end of the day that sometimes you are an instructor but you can always be a student.
KDan, Seano and Mike made the weekend very enjoyable, there was a lot of information to digest and a ton of history, but most of all there was shooting. There was no pressure on anyone to compete against each other, only to better themselves, to shoot better the on the next target than you did on your last one. Which if you follow the 6 steps keep an open mind and listen to the instructors tips and continue to find your “natural point of aim” (NPOA) you will improve, you really don’t have a choice, your body will react and you will shoot better. I personally shot 200-300 rounds of 22lr and 500 rounds of 223. I learned how to better position my body in the sitting position and tighten up my groups. Everything I learned on Saturday and Sunday will carry over to my High-power shooting and I will benefit from it.
Dan, Seano and Mike thank you again.
Sincerely
Tackleberry

Wow, that was fun.

It was 8 Riflemen, CortJestr, and I think that's about as good as you could ever hope for with 30 shooters. That's over 25%; we pretty much maxed out, and a lot of folks joined RWVA. I was impressed with the abilities both brought to this event by experienced shooters, and brought about by the willingness of newer shooters to learn.

At the right side of the line, we had Tackleberry, Fred, John and a couple of our new IIT's (after this week-end), dsm, and Dave. Usually, on a line with this kind of experience, it's difficult for us to add anything to a person's sense of themselves. It was nice to see so many experienced shooters ready to listen and learn. On the left, we had probably just as much experience in Len, Charles, Rob, and Paul, but we also had some kids and new shooters. On both sides we had folks I have failed to mention that are reading this post right now. Honest, humble, and complete thanks to all of you.

Folks, Appleseed has something for everyone. Even a shooter that has been to Applseseed before and shot Rifleman can learn by going to another one and meeting with the folks on that new firing line. The best thing about AS is the people, I'm telling you, in the words of Charlton Heston, "It's People!" Each event is new, and each event has its own vibe and finality. When we close up and pull down the target line and flags, I know that everybody that was there that day is a new and different person. That's what Appleseed is about... changing the way we look at our daily lives and what we expect from ourselves and others. I started on the trail in August of 2006, and I learn every day.

I joined this forum to promote this shoot. Now I feel like I have another place I can call home. Thanks NES and all of you that came out.

See you on the trail!

subscribed

Hoping that any announcements of an August or other Hartford or CT based shoot will be posted here. I haven't shot a rifle in ages but really willing to learn (based on what I read at appleseedseedinfo.org)

Back
Top Bottom