• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hardest decision every day...

... is looking in the safe every AM and trying to pick out a carry gun for the day.

How do you guys choose your weapon du jour each morning?

I carry the same gun in the same place nearly every time. When you need it is not when you want to think 'which gun do I have and where is it?'.

Depends on a lot of factors. Anyone who says that you should carry the same gun everyday makes a good point but is out of touch with reality. Unless you wear the same type of clothes every where you go, and do not perform a wide variety of activites, you're going to need to broaden your options.

For me, the decision comes down to time of year and what I'm wearing.
Heavy winter coat, Glock 27 in Hi-Ride on right hip.
Light jacket, S&W Model #60.
No jacket, Seecamp .32 in back pocket holster.
Tuxedo, Gold & Chrome Browning Hi-Power in shoulder rig [wink]

If you make the point that it is beneficial to have the same gun in the same location for the benefits of muscle memory, etc., that is a good piont and is worth making. The problem is that for the majority of the population who experience multiple seasons, perform a wide variety of activities, and wear a wide variety of outfits depending on those activities, having the same gun in the same place is not practical.

Like others have said carrying the same gun all the time, in the same location, and I might add the same condition works best. The condition part might some stupid but I know some people that never chamber a round and some only chamber a round depending on where they are or where they are going. I try to explain this is a bad idea but they never listen. Making changes to your carry system causes confusion and increases the chance of a mistake if you ever need your gun.

If you do swap guns I would only swap between 2. I could carry any one of my guns but i only carry 2 and have carried the same gun for the past year.

Tuxedo, Gold & Chrome Browning Hi-Power in shoulder rig [wink]
Damn... I'll have to get a shoulder rig. When I wear my tuxedo, I'm down to carrying the NAA Mini Magnum in the front right pocket. No belts in a tux, and the J-frame is too big for the pants pocket. [frown]

Pretty sure James Bond set the precedent that you have to carry a PPK when wearing a tux. And drink martinis. And have hot women throw themselves at you. And drive quarter-million dollar sports cars.

......off to get a tux.....

Do you have speakers sewn into the tux so everyone can hear your theme music for that outfit?[laugh]

Priceless!

Now, where can one buy these "Tuxedos" with the speakers sewn in so I can play some theme music?

I was thinking "Pretty fly for a white guy" for mine. [wink]

If I have the opportunity to wear a trenchcoat, then, well...

minigun2.jpg

I carry a .45 auto in the same place all the time. I like that caliber best and I can conceal it under a tee shirt in the summer.

Last edited:
If I have the opportunity to wear a trenchcoat, then, well...

minigun2.jpg
I thought about carrying a minigun, but could not find a comfortable holster... [thinking]

Gonzo, the last time they made a 5 button Tux that would fit you, it was to bury the actor who played Lurch... [laugh]

p.s. as my serious answer to this thread - I carry the gun that requires the least "warmup" (preferably NONE) to fire accurately drawn from a holster.

Last edited:
I open the safe in the morning, and whichever handgun screams "Me me me!!!" the loudest gets a ride in a holster for the day. [wink]

I understand the idea of only carrying one type of handgun so that muscle memory takes over in moments of sudden stress, but on a stifling summer day I really don't feel like trying to conceal a 1911. For those of you that will suggest defender or officers models: Nah, I only trust full size 1911s.

I keep a full size Colt in the same place, might be riding in an IWB or on the belt.

For trips to the Quick-E-Mart I'll toss the Derringer of Doom™ in a pocket.

you guys make a good point about muscle memory, guess I didn't think much about it since all my guns have matching supertucks that go in the same place, and well, whats the real difference between g23/33 & xD and xD sub compact...

Back
Top Bottom