Hard to see sights

FLHTC

NES Member
I’m having trouble distinguishing between the front and rear sights of S&W DK1911. In my opinion the indoor range at the club is pretty dark, we have adjustable lighting but I still have trouble seeing the sights. Three dots combat sights work well and so don’t red ramp white outline on my S&W revolvers. My gun smith machined a new red insert into the front post and that helped a little, any thoughts for a rear sight fix without painting them?

Go down to the local hobby shop and buy some model paint in the color of your choice. If you don't like it, use some paint remover to take it off. When it wears down, paint it again.

Thank you M1911.

I guess I was looking for is an opinion on a commercially available adjustable rear sight with tritium capabilities.

Thank you M1911.

I guess I was looking for is an opinion on a commercially available adjustable rear sight with tritium capabilities.

I have tritium sights on a number of guns. In general, I find tritium sights harder to see during the day than either all black or three dot sights. For a defense gun (as opposed to a game gun), I prefer front tritium and plain rear, or front tritium and Heinie Straight 8 rear. YMMV.

Several years back, I had a gunsmith machine in a red plastic insert on the front sight of my 642. If I had to do it over, I would have simply painted it -- just as effective and much, much cheaper.

Your eye cannot focus on two objects at different distances at the same time. So don't try.

The front sight should be crystal clear. The rear sight should be fuzzy.

I've had the best success so far with my 686, fiber front and V rear. Dropping the red ball into the V makes it easy.

Go down to the local hobby shop and buy some model paint in the color of your choice. If you don't like it, use some paint remover to take it off. When it wears down, paint it again.

Or, if you are married to a woman with a nail polish fetish, steal a color of your choice to make sure it works for you.

Yes, I have red nail polish in my range crap....

Or, if you are married to a woman with a nail polish fetish, steal a color of your choice to make sure it works for you.

The Mrs isn't big on that, and if I so much as moved some of her cosmetics, she'd spot it in an instant. So it is off to the hobby shop for me [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom