Hard case for Mosin Nagant

I'm buying my first rifle, which happens to be a Mosin Nagant. I want to just take a ride to a shop, check some out and buy one.

I need a case obviously, so I picked up a 53" Flambeau 6840SC as dicks just to get a cheap case to get it done. It measures about 52" internally, but from online research, it appears a Mosin is 51.5"? So it's gonna be close.

Does anyone have one pf these cases? Does anyone have a Mosin handy to measure? I just want to make sure when I show up and buy a Mosin, it fits my case.

Thanks

Why do you need a case? Get a soft case if anything - it's hard to damage a Mosin by handling it. If I don't have a case available when I take a Mosin out, I usually just toss it in a shipping box.

IIRC you don't need a case unless you plan on leaving unattended in a motor vehicle.

To answer your question, yes it will fit. I have the same case.

it's about 48.5". They usually come in cardboxes ... no need for a case or in their native state - you need some paper towels to protect car trunk against cosmoline. Don't forget trigger lock. I just keep a large piece of cloth in case I do an impulse buy and I don't want to carry a rifle across a parking lot.

IIRC you don't need a case unless you plan on leaving unattended in a motor vehicle.

Well, I live in a condo unit, so I'll be parking in the garage, heading through the lobby and up the elevator past people when I bring it home or head to the range. I assume walking through any public way I need to have the rifle unloaded in a case. I would probably leave it in the car until less people are around to bring it into my place as well. I figure bringing it up at 11pm would be better than high noon.

I have the case now, I just want to make sure it fits. It will also be stored in the case locked up when at home.

Also, wasn't sure if the gun store would let me carry it out without the case. This is my first purchase since getting my LTC-A

Don't store it in a case. Rust is Evil. You're better off leaving it out with a cable lock through the receiver.

As for people living in the condo unit with you. Wondering whats in the case. Just tell them its a saxaphone if they ask. Works for me.

11pm might be more attention to you.........dont sweat it. Heck I use a gun sock for my mossin. If you must store your gun in its case I would purchase some VCI emitters of some sort

it's about 48.5". They usually come in cardboxes ... no need for a case or in their native state - you need some paper towels to protect car trunk against cosmoline. Don't forget trigger lock. I just keep a large piece of cloth in case I do an impulse buy and I don't want to carry a rifle across a parking lot.

I recommend the cloth as well. I always have a spare one in my trunk, just in case

Don't store it in a case. Rust is Evil. You're better off leaving it out with a cable lock through the receiver.

As for people living in the condo unit with you. Wondering whats in the case. Just tell them its a saxaphone if they ask. Works for me.
I live in a three decker. My neighbors think I play pool....

Just ask them for the shipping box it came in. Nondescript cardboard box doesn't yell gun to anyone who doesn't send/receive them regularly.

I guess I am different. I don't care what my neighbors think. Is that a GUN[shocked]Yup and its not the only one either[wink].It keeps the, hey can I borrow your power drill. etc. requests to a minimum[laugh]
If your worried wrap it in a old sheet or blanket. There are so many things that it could be. Its this state that has made you feel uncomfortable about people seeing you with a firearm.

Well, my post was less about the neighbors, and more about what I need to bring with me to purchase a rifle. Wasn't sure if a dealer would let me take it put of the store in a sheet or box.

So my question really is regarding the purchase of a Mosin so I don't look like an idiot when I show up to buy one. Wasn't sure if a sheet or box was SOP

It depends on the dealer but most of them just slap a lock on the gun. No lock or container is required to transport the Mosin from the store to your home in your POV.

my M-N 91/30 fits perfectly in the 2-rifle case dick's carries... (not the SKB spendy one, the $30-$40 one....)
i take the bolt out, the floor plate from the magazine and cable lock it through the action (who suggested the trigger lock? yeh, those are useless in almost all situations...)

looks like it could be a keyboard case, tell anyone who asks you're a jazz pianist....

Well, just to update...

I'm now the proud owner of a 1938 Tula M-N. Typical forced matched refurb, but I wanted a (mostly) pre-war peice.

Came in a shipping box all packed up with the typical accessories, so i didn't need the case. Anyway, been having fun disassembling it and cleaning up the Cosmo and identifying all the original bit and parts on it. Nothing special, but it's the first one so I'm happy.

Next M-N will be an M44. I just love that short carbine look with the folding bayonet!

Back
Top Bottom