• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Happy Flag Day

I pledge allegiance to my Flag, to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

I hope everyone has a good day and takes a second or two to reflect on how powerful that one piece of fabric is to us as Americans.

With that I would like to thank our past, current, and future vets and soldiers for protecting our flag with there service and lives.

C-pher said:
I pledge allegiance to my Flag, to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Please don't tell me that was a serious attempt at the Pledge of Allegiance.

Adam_MA said:
Please don't tell me that was a serious attempt at the Pledge of Allegiance.

Must be the Reader's Digest Condensed Version. [rolleyes]

MY flag is flying - is yours?

Francis Bellamy who wrote the original Pledge in August 1892 wrote it as follows.

I pledge allegiance to my Flag and (to*) the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

It wasn't until 1924 when The American Legion changed the changed the Pledge's words, 'my Flag,' to 'the Flag of the United States of America.'

In 1954 the Knights of Columbus had Congress add the words, 'under God' to create a patriotic oath and a public prayer.

That's why now it's read as it is..

SO let's go over this...

I pledge allegiance to my Flag, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.

1924:

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all.

1954:

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible,with Liberty and Justice for all.

So, while you guys want to bash me, today is Flag day. A day to remember our flag and what it stands for.

I just so choosed to use the original version. .

So no, it's not a lame attempt at our Pledge. It's the original attempt. And being that Francis Bellamy was against every change made to the pledge he wrote, I chose to honor his pledge and recite the original one.

C-pher said:
Francis Bellamy who wrote the original Pledge in August 1892 wrote it as follows.

I pledge allegiance to my Flag and (to*) the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

It wasn't until 1924 when The American Legion changed the changed the Pledge's words, 'my Flag,' to 'the Flag of the United States of America.'

In 1954 the Knights of Columbus had Congress add the words, 'under God' to create a patriotic oath and a public prayer.

That's why now it's read as it is..

SO let's go over this...

I pledge allegiance to my Flag, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.

1924:

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all.

1954:

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible,with Liberty and Justice for all.... I just so choosed [sic] to use the original version.

So no, it's not a lame attempt at our Pledge. It's the original attempt. And being that Francis Bellamy was against every change made to the pledge he wrote, I chose to honor his pledge and recite the original one.

Really?

Here's Wikipedia's take on your "original" version:

His [Bellamy's] original Pledge read as follows:

"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and to* the Republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all"

(* 'to' added in October 1892).

The Pledge was published in the September 8, 1892, issue of the magazine, and immediately put to use in the campaign. Bellamy went to speak to a national meeting of school superintendents to promote the celebration; the convention liked the idea and selected a committee of leading educators to implement the program, including the immediate past president of the National Education Association. Bellamy was selected as the chair. Having received the official blessing of educators, Bellamy's committee now had the task of spreading the word across the nation and of designing an official program for schools to follow on the day of national celebration. He structured the program around a flag raising ceremony and his pledge.

So, the original version DID include "the Republic." Moreover, as Bellamy died in 1935, it is highly unlikely he "was against every change made to the pledge he wrote," at least not the 1955 addition. [rolleyes]

However, an interesting history lesson. Thanks for it and the reminder.

NOTE: We need a "thumbs up" smilie.

derek said:
I still say he's a jerk Keith.

You're just being petty, vicious, "un-mutual" and harsh.

Why can't you be as forgiving and tolerant as I?

You know my motto; "Caaaaan't we all just get alllllllooooooooooooooong?"

Scrivener said:
So, the original version DID include "the Republic." Moreover, as Bellamy died in 1935, it is highly unlikely he "was against every change made to the pledge he wrote," at least not the 1955 addition. [rolleyes]

True, as he wasn't around, but as he wasn't for the first two changes, and as I understand, his daughter didn't want that last change saying her father didn't want the first two, he wouldn't want that last one either.

Anyway, as you posted, what was the difference between the one I posted and the one you posted. Which while it's a good reference, it's also freely changeable by anyone that so chooses. So I don't always take what it says to heart.

As for you derek. Whatever...I may be a jerk...at least I'm not a titmouse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's Brother Red Skelton's version:
If you go to the link you can hear him recite it.
http://www.poofcat.com/july.html
The following words were spoken by the late Red Skelton on his television program as he related the story of his teacher, Mr. Laswell, who felt his students had come to think of the Pledge of Allegiance as merely something to recite in class each day.

Now, more than ever, listen to the meaning of these words.

"I've been listening to you boys and girls recite the Pledge of Allegiance all semester

and it seems as though it is becoming monotonous to you.

If I may, may I recite it and try to explain to you the meaning of each word?"

I

me, an individual, a committee of one.

Pledge

dedicate all of my worldly goods to give without self pity.

Allegiance

my love and my devotion.

To the flag

our standard, Old Glory, a symbol of freedom. Wherever

she waves, there's respect because your loyalty has given

her a dignity that shouts freedom is everybody's job!

United

that means that we have all come together.

States

individual communities that have united into 48 great states.

Forty-eight individual communities with pride and dignity and

purpose; all divided with imaginary boundaries, yet united to

a common purpose, and that's love for country.

And to the republic

a state in which sovereign power is

invested in representatives chosen by the

people to govern. And government is the people

and it's from the people to the leaders, not from

the leaders to the people.

For which it stands, one nation

one nation, meaning "so

blessed by God"

Indivisible

incapable of being divided.

With liberty

which is freedom -- the right of power to live one's

own life without threats, fear or some sort of

retaliation.

And Justice

the principle or quality of dealing fairly with others.

For all

which means, boys and girls, it's as much your

country as it is mine.

***~~**~~***

Since I was a small boy, two states have been added to our country

and two words have been added to the pledge of Allegiance...

UNDER GOD

Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said

that is a prayer

and that would be eliminated from schools too?

God Bless America!

I'm wearing my BDU top while I'm puttering around the house, and the flag is flying on my right shoulder, canton always going forward.

JonJ, that was a good post. Thanks for putting that up.
I'm getting an error message when I click on the link though.

Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said

that is a prayer

and that would be eliminated from schools too?
Someone tried, and failed because good people and common sense prevailed.

Back
Top Bottom