Handloader Magazine

Patriot

NES Member
Anyone subscribe to this mag? I just ran across an old issue I have (July-August 1986)
and I shoot a couple of .32 H&R magnums and it has a great writeup by Ken Waters on
the .32 H&R. I was just wondering if anyone subscribes and what your thoughts are
wrt the quality of the mag these days.

I have virtually every issue.

Handloader is comparatively expensive and high specialized, but it is delight if you are really into reloading and interior and exterior ballistics. There are sometimes some fascinating data collections, such as a recent one on case life for .308 brass (as I recall, Remington won with over 14 reloads to failure, versus as low as three or four the worst stamp).

One of the best features over the years was Ken Waters's "Pet Loads" series. Mr. Waters retired a few years ago, but Wolff Publishing is now offering the complete "Pet Loads" for $90 (1,196 pages).

Handloader is comparatively expensive and high specialized, but it is delight if you are really into reloading and interior and exterior ballistics. There are sometimes some fascinating data collections, such as a recent one on case life for .308 brass (as I recall, Remington won with over 14 reloads to failure, versus as low as three or four the worst stamp).

One of the best features over the years was Ken Waters's "Pet Loads" series. Mr. Waters retired a few years ago, but Wolff Publishing is now offering the complete "Pet Loads" for $90 (1,196 pages).

+1, and Pet Loads is worth every penny of the cost.

It was $3 for this issue. That was a lot of dough for a magazine in '86. I'm pretty sure I
purchased a single copy as I wouldn't have subscribed probably due to cost. I am positively
fascinated by the one issue I have and will have to keep an eye out for others in my travels.
So, would you say that the content is as good today as it was in the past?

HandloaderCover.jpg

Last edited:
. . . So, would you say that the content is as good today as it was in the past?

One has a natural bias for the writers with whom one got comfortable in the beginning (all of whom have since retired), but, yes, I'd say the magazine is as good as it was 22 years ago.

For one thing, chronographs are better and more prevalent than they once were, as are piezoelectric pressure transducers, so in some respects there is more "hard" data. And you need the current editions just to keep up with the new propellants.

I used to subscribe because that was the only way you could buy it and stopped when the articles became trite.

No I buy from the newsstand and I'm selective, if no article is good, they keep it.

I get the electronic version, less $$$

I get the electronic version, less $$$ - They recently did an extensive article for .308 reloading that was very well done.

I have the first 126 issues (major ebay find). I still purchase issues here and there. If the subscription price were a good deal, I would probably subscribe. I only purchase it from the news stand if there are good articles in the issue. Barnes and Noble in Manchester, NH carries it, as does Borders in Concord.

Personally, I think the older issues are the best. I wish there was an index of articles.

If anyone wants a copy of an article from an out of print issue, e-mail me and I will scan it for you.

If anyone wants a copy of an article from an out of print issue, e-mail me and I will scan it for you.

Very generous offer mcornell, you'll undoubtedly get a few requests coming your way.

Here's something for the man thats got money to burn! [rolleyes]

DVD-Boxed-Set1.gif

40 Years of Handloader Magazine on DVD
Wolfe Publishing

The most valuable resource for the shooting community is now available at the click of your computer mouse! That’s right, access all the detailed technical information from the number one authority in the shooting sports in 40 years of publishing. That’s 238 issues! From issue Number 1 (May 1966) to issue Number 238 (December 2005) that’s over 26,000 pages of information on 20 DVDs of high resolution, printable files. All files are searchable, word search shows exact sentence or phrase. Simply pop in a DVD and it automatically opens with easy-to-read graphics. Click on a cover and open any issue. Fully functional menus!

HLDVD40 40 Years of Handloader on DVD
Discount Price: $599.00
http://www.loaddata.com/catalog/detail.cfm?productid=644&subcategoryid=147

Dear Sir

I read your post that said you have some back issues of Handloader magazine. I am trying to find the Oct Nov issue 2008 specificaly an article on 6.5/06. I just recieved a custom barrel for my Encore Pro Hunter in that caliber and would love to read the article. Any help you can provide would really be appreciated.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom