• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Handgun gift from out-of-state to MA

My father, who lives in CT, wants to give me a Kimber .45. Made around '97(if this matters.) Forgot the model but is very similar to the TenII. I am in Mass.

My question is; can I legally accept it? If so, what is the transfer of ownership process? FA10, Is FFL to FFL shipment necessary or can he just drop it off?

I've talked to four dealers in MA who've told me different things. I figured I'd get your take on this and, also, see if anyone else has done this before I try GOAL or an attorney for clarification.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Look through the different topics in this (Gun Laws) forum. I believe it's been addressed a few times. See if it answers your particlur situation.

Good luck!

You can only get a handgun through an FFL holder in Mass. Since almost all of them are going to be Mass licensed delaers, they will only be able to transfer a gun that's on the EOPS list and meets the AG's secret standards. Sorry, but you'd seem to be out of luck.

Ken

"You can only get a handgun through an FFL holder in Mass."

You might want to check the law regarding inherited guns. [wink]

Yes, I know about the laws on inheriting firearms. I just assumed that that would be a little bit further than his father would be willing to go in order to give him the gun. Most people would prefer moving to Mass for a short time, during which they could legally transfer the gun FTF, then mvoe back to the free world. I do know a couple of people, however, who would rather die than move to the People's Republic of Massachusetts. [wink]

Ken

Back
Top Bottom