H&R Topper "BUCK" Mod. 162 build

Viper22

NES Member
I picked up a H&R 12 gauge from Bron's for very little money a few weeks ago. Its a Topper "BUCK" Model 162. I want to get this set up for deer season this year.

DSC015461.JPG

DSC01547.JPG

My plans for this are to put a Choate stock and forend on it, sling, bipod, and get the barrel drilled & tapped for a scope mount. It has a 22" smoothbore cylinder choke barrel. I'm thinking of cutting the barrel down to either 18 or 20".

Here's the pic's mostly apart. I still need to punch out the pins for the trigger.

DSC015841.JPG

Here's what I'd like to end up with:

HR_Varmint.jpg

Last edited:
I've been seeing those Toppers EVERYWHERE lately. $50 and up. Almost bought one. Hmmm ... You've certainly got an interesting idea there.

Bron's has about 5 of them all for $50 and under. I got mine for $40.

I measured the barrel once it was off of the gun, and its actually a 24" barrel. I'm considering cutting it down to either 20 or 18.

Gringo: Be warned, these are very light and recoil feels double what my Mossberg 500 feels like.

Last edited:
Yeeow! I have a Mossberg 500. Ouch! I wonder how 20 gauge do.

How to you cut that barrel down? Never did it.

I work at a machine shop[smile]

I could put the barrel on a lathe if I wanted to, but I could also cut it down at home. You could score the barrel with a copper pipe cutter and then cut all the way though with a hacksaw or cutoff wheel.

I might cut down the barrel next week. I havent decided how short I want to go.

A 20 ga. would also make a nice slug gun.

UPS tracking shows my order as departed from PA at 9pm tonight, so hopefully, maybe, it will be on my doorstep after work tomorrow!

Updates to follow...I might paint the barrel with a textured black paint to match the "evil" black stock.

UPDATE: package should be in tomorrow (8/5)

Last edited:
So I got the stock and forearm in today....and the stock is great, but the forearm doesn't work. My H&R, as it turns out, is the older style with snap-on forearm. What I bought works with the newer style forearm, with the screw on style forearm.

So I guess I'm now in search of a newer style barrel with the screw on mount, and d&t'd for a scope rail. Apparently H&R says its a no-no to d&t a shotgun barrel. They sell scope specific barrels that are thicker to accomodate for the drilled holes.

Ultimately I need a new barrel for my build to work. I need to find a barrel I can put a scope on, since the barrel I have has a post front sight and a missing peep sight in the rear.

A shop near me has an Ultra Slug Hunter, with laminated thumbhole stock, heavy rifled slug barrel, and weaver scope mount for $250. By the time I buy a new barrel, I'll be at the point where I just should have bought the Ultra Slug Hunter.........

Anyway here's the pic's as of now.

DSC015851.JPG

DSC015862.JPG

I'll admit, it does look a little odd with the Choate stock on it...but it does shoulder much better, and I like the pistol grip part of the stock...

Once I get the forearm on the shotgun will look more balanced. And with the bipod and scope it will round out the look.

Right now, the shotgun is in its "awkward" stage...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom