• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

H&K upper in the Military Channel

Yes, but HK will say something like... "NO CIVILIAN IN HERE! DIRTY!"

This at least based on what happened when a few HK416 uppers leaked out
onto the commercial market, and HK was threatening to sue the people selling
them, etc. All that BS over what was a completely legal product.

I like many of the products they make but the company seems to treat it's non LE/Mil customers like crap.

-Mike

Yes, but HK will say something like... "NO CIVILIAN IN HERE! DIRTY!"

This at least based on what happened when a few HK416 uppers leaked out
onto the commercial market, and HK was threatening to sue the people selling
them, etc. All that BS over what was a completely legal product.

I like many of the products they make but the company seems to treat it's non LE/Mil customers like crap.

-Mike

While I agree that H&K sucks, and as someone famously said "H&K couldn't sell free sex with a cheerleader."

However, the problem with the 416 uppers that got out was that they are imported assault weapon barrels. We all know that ATF changed their mind about 3 years ago about imported assault weapon barrels. One can't import assault weapon parts that can be assembled into a firearm that would unimportable. An AR style rifle can definitely not be imported under current regs and executive orders.

Want a 416 upper? It needs to be made in the USA. BTW, maybe 2 years ago while H&K was still pushing hard to get the 416 adopted by the military, they announced an agreement with Wilcox to make 416s in the US. That would of allowed them to sell uppers and complete (semi-auto only) firearms to the public. Might still happen too, I guess...

--EasyD

While I agree that H&K sucks, and as someone famously said "H&K couldn't sell free sex with a cheerleader."

However, the problem with the 416 uppers that got out was that they are imported assault weapon barrels. We all know that ATF changed their mind about 3 years ago about imported assault weapon barrels. One can't import assault weapon parts that can be assembled into a firearm that would unimportable.

You have a point but HK still acted in the most ass way possible. These weren't really controlled parts, in the truest sense, but they still acted like
they were- it reeked of "ok we're incompetent and we're going to threaten you because of it".

Hopefully someday I'll eat my own shoe leather and HK will sell rifles to peons again someday, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

-Mike

I got this from HKPRO.COM. Looks like HK plans to sell a civilian version of the 416 as well as a 7.62 version. To be manufactured in New Hampshire

THE HK MR556 AND MR762 MODELS ARE DEBUTING AT SHOT SHOW 2009 IN ORLANDO, FLORIDA. THE RIFLES ARE NON-FIRING PROTOTYPES, WHICH INDICATES THAT THEY HAVE RUSHED THEM TO BE IN TIME FOR THE SHOW. THIS IS CONSISTENT WITH REPORTS OF A RELATIVELY RECENT MANAGEMENT DECISION TO OFFER THEM IN THE UNITED STATES.

TO BE PRODUCED IN NEWINGTON, NEW HAMPSHIRE, THE RIFLES UNFORTUNATELY FEATURE THE OFFSET PINS THAT MAKE THEM INCOMPATIBLE WITH AR15 LOWERS. THIS IS MOOT FOR THE MR762, AS IT TAKES A PROPRIETARY LOWER ALSO. FOR A PDF OF THE NEW FLYER, AND MORE PHOTOS COMING SOON http://www.hkpro.com/documents/HK-MR-RIFLES-011409.pdf

Like the famous HK416, the MR556 uses a barrel produced by Heckler & Koch's famous cold hammer forging process. The highest quality steel is used in this unique manufacturing process producing a barrel that provides superior accuracy for more than 20,000 rounds with minimal degradation of accuracy and muzzle velocity.

Nice

OK - here comes another noob question. (Go easy.)

From the show it seemed like the main differentiating feature on the H&K was the AK-style piston setup. Lots of guns like the Sig 556, a bunch of modified ARs, FN-FALs have a similar setup. (Not to mention AKs....)

So - what's the big deal? Personally I'd rather buy an American-made (Exeter, NH) Sig over a H&K, especially if H&K is run by a bunch of euro-lib weenies. Am I missing something?

From the show it seemed like the main differentiating feature on the H&K was the AK-style piston setup. Lots of guns like the Sig 556, a bunch of modified ARs, FN-FALs have a similar setup. (Not to mention AKs....)

So - what's the big deal? Personally I'd rather buy an American-made (Exeter, NH) Sig over a H&K, especially if H&K is run by a bunch of euro-lib weenies. Am I missing something?

Yup, you're missing something alright.

Well the machinery is operated by American workers....

The MR556 will be produced at Heckler & Koch's new manufacturing facility at Newington, New Hampshire from American and German made components. To conform to German export regulations, certain design changes made in the MR556 prevents the rifle's upper receiver from being used on other AR-style firearms.

OK, so I missed the part about the planned factory in Newington. That's great - I hope they do build that factory, NH needs the jobs.

Still, besides the piston what are the significant differences between this and a regular AR? The only other two features that I could find were a "cold-forged steel barrel" and the ability to be fired wet (drainage holes,) both of which are available in more standard AR platforms.

Has any pricing info been released?

Back
Top Bottom