• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

H.4121 Moving to Ways and Means Committee, email list inside.

this is going to the floor of the House for vote next Wednesday, right?

I doubt that we'll know until the night before. It's still in Ways and Means at the moment so it has to be voted on there first.

My guess is that it will take longer than that. I think this one will go right down to the wire. They're not going to want to bring it to a vote while there's still a lot of pressure from certain constituents (meaning "us,") they're going to wait until we get tired of calling and writing then try to slip it through when we're not looking.

I doubt that we'll know until the night before. It's still in Ways and Means at the moment so it has to be voted on there first.

My guess is that it will take longer than that. I think this one will go right down to the wire. They're not going to want to bring it to a vote while there's still a lot of pressure from certain constituents (meaning "us,") they're going to wait until we get tired of calling and writing then try to slip it through when we're not looking.

agreed 100%
I wouldn't be surprised if it gets out of committee end of this week while lots of people are away/not paying attention

I got a couple of responses, some useful, some just mush

Wong, Donald -Rep (HOU)
10:39 AM (5 hours ago)

to me
Hello,

I totally disagree with HB 4121 as it is written today.
Without our right to bear arms, only criminals will have guns.

Respectfully,
Donald H. Wong
State Representative

Vieira, David - Rep (HOU)
12:39 PM (3 hours ago)

to me
Thank you for your email regarding H.4121. This bill was poorly crafted, and I voted for an Ought Not to Pass recommendation in the Public Safety & Homeland Security Committee. The favorable report passed by only one vote. I plan to vote against reporting this bill out of the House Ways & Means Committee unless there are substantial changes which protect the rights of law abiding gun owners.

David T. Vieira
State Representative
Third Barnstable District
State House, Rm. 167
Boston, MA 02133
617-722-2230

COMMITTEES:
House Committee on Ways & Means
Joint Committee on Public Safety & Homeland Security
House Committee on Rules
House Committee on Personnel & Administration

Dykema, Carolyn - Rep. (HOU)
2:47 PM (1 hour ago)

to me
Dear Mr. Minsky,

Thank you for contacting me regarding HB4121, Speaker DeLeo’s gun bill.

As this is a very important issue, I am considering this legislation from all angles. I value hearing from citizens like yourself, and I will keep your views in mind as I continue to look carefully at this bill as it is brought up for debate in the coming weeks.

Thank you again for reaching out to my office.

Sincerely,

Carolyn Dykema
State Representative
8th Middlesex District

Madden, Timothy - Rep. (HOU)
3:14 PM (53 minutes ago)

to me
Henry,

Thank you for reaching out to me, I will keep an open mind to any and all opinions and welcome discussion on this topic. As always, I will wait to see what the final version of the bill looks like before it comes to a vote and give due consideration to amendments and debate.

I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to me to convey your feelings.

All the best,

Tim Madden

I sent another round of emails. With committee members doesn't help or hurt to list your name address? How about with phone calls from citizens out of the district

Which committee members plan to vote yes or are still on the fence?

Received another positive response:

Thank you for contacting me regarding House Bill 4121, An Act Relative to the Reduction of Gun Violence. Please know that although we do need to have regulations in place to protect our communities from irresponsible people, I am not in support of the current language of this bill. This legislation does attempt to address some of our public safety concerns, but I do not believe that by placing more restrictions on lawful gun owners we will be able to prevent firearms from getting into the hands of destructive and harmful individuals. Just a week ago I proudly stood with my colleagues on the front steps of the State House in support of our second amendment right to bear arms.

Thank you once again for contacting me on this important matter and if you have any questions or concerns on this matter or any other, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Angelo
Boston, MA 02133 31 Perkins Street
Telephone: (617) 722-2488 Bridgewater, MA 02324
Fax: (617) 626-0172 Telephone: (508) 697-2700
angelo.d'[email protected]
www.angelodemilia.com

I got a lukewarm response from my Senator. Looking for a compromise is not a position I am happy with:

Dear Senator Flanagan and Representative Naughton,

I cannot tell you how disappointed and disgusted I am to see that H4121 made it out of committee. While the proposed legislation may have had one or two potentially worthwhile proposals in it the vast majority is an attempt to appease the general population at the expense of the rights of lawful gun owners.

At no point is it correct to restrict the law abiding because the fringes of our society, be they criminals or insane, abuse the use of an inanimate object. If we were to take the gun law proposal to an analogy with cars as is often done by those wanting gun control, this would be like limiting drivers to a Honda Civic which can only be driven on Sundays and only after the driver got his CDL and had a month-long evaluation at McLean -- all because some small minority of drivers drive drunk or use cars as getaway vehicles from robberies. It is absurd.

What should have happened was that this legislation should have been killed in committee or possibly replaced by recommendations from GOAL. Instead, by reporting it out you have given an almost virtual assurance that even if massively amended in favor of the law abiding that some substantial infringement on the rights of gun owners will happen. That is not acceptable.

I am writing to you again to urge you to do your part to kill this bill. Amending is not a viable option.

Thank you,

- Joe G, Berlin

Dear Joe,

Thank you for your email and continued interest in this matter. It is my understanding that Speaker DeLeo has been meeting with many gun owners, including representatives from GOAL, and is reconsidering his position on certain restrictive provisions of the bill. I plan on reviewing the legislation again after the House amends and votes on the bill as it will look very different than it does now. I hope we can reach a compromise on this issue.

Have a safe and happy Fourth of July,

Jennifer L. Flanagan
State Senator
Worcester & Middlesex District

All these dicks who say:

"need to have regulations in place to protect our communities from irresponsible people"
"am not in support of the current language of this bill"
"hope we can reach a compromise"
"value hearing from citizens like yourself, and I will keep your views in mind as I continue to look carefully at this bill as it is brought up for debate in the coming weeks"
"I will keep an open mind to any and all opinions and welcome discussion on this topic"

Compare them to people like these, who are not afraid to speak up for liberty:

Thank you for your email regarding H.4121. This bill was poorly crafted, and I voted for an Ought Not to Pass recommendation in the Public Safety & Homeland Security Committee. We lost the unfavorable report by one vote. I plan to vote against reporting this bill out of the House Ways & Means Committee unless there are substantial changes which protect the rights of law abiding gun owners.
David T. Vieira

I totally disagree with HB 4121 as it is written today.
Without our right to bear arms only criminals will have guns.
Donald H. Wong

Thanks for your email. You can be assured that we see eye to eye on this issue. I am a member of GOAL and as a licensed LTC holder and responsible gun owner myself, the Speaker’s Bill as written is something I cannot support given the Draconian measures in it. I agree that once again, we seem to be going after lawful gun owners and that this new piece of proposed legislation will do very little to keep criminals from obtaining guns. I, along with likeminded legislators in the House like my colleague, George Peterson of Grafton are working with GOAL in advocating for amendments to House Bill 4121 which will make it fairer to people like us. If these amendments do not go through, I will be voting against the bill when it comes before the House for consideration. Thanks again for getting in touch.
Matthew A. Beaton
State Representative
11th Worcester District

Politicians...
One, two, three and fourThe devil's knocking at your door
Caught in the eye of a dead man's lie
Start your life with your head held high
Now you're on your knees
With your head hung low
Big man tells you where to go
Tell 'em it's good
Tell 'em okay
Don't do a goddamn thing they say

All these dicks who say:

Compare them to people like these, who are not afraid to speak up for liberty:

Wong also said in that response "do not agree with how the bill is written today"

How about strongly disagree this bill should even be written/considered

Latest missive from the Moms:

New State Legislation

WE EXPECT THERE TO BE A VOTE THIS WEEK IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES ON THE BILL THAT WOULD STRENGTHEN MASSACHUSETTS GUN LAWS!

Now is your last chance to tell the legislator who represents you what you want!

We have been told that the following representatives are still undecided about their vote. If you live in one of these towns and have yet to do so, please call/email your representative as soon as possible! If you know someone in these towns, please forward this information to them!

Rep. John Scibak: South Hadley, Easthampton

617 722 2030, [email protected]

Rep. Sarah Peake: Provincetown, Chatham, Brewster, Eastham, Harwich, & Wellfleet

617 722 2090, [email protected]

Rep. Kate Hogan: Stow, Bolton, Hudson, Maynard

617 722 2692, [email protected]

Rep. Gailanne Cariddi: North Adams, Williamstown

617 722 2450, [email protected]

Rep. Paul Schmid: Westport, Fall River, New Bedford

617 722 2210, [email protected]

Rep. Aaron Vega: Holyoke

617 722 2400, [email protected]

Rep. Cory Atkins: Concord, Acton, Chelmsford

617 722 2015, [email protected]

Rep. Paul Mark: Pittsfield, Northfield

617 722 2013, [email protected]

William “Smitty” Pignatelli: Lenox, Stockbridge

617 722 2017, [email protected]

Rep. John Rogers: Norwood

617 722 2092, [email protected]

We know these representatives are receiving calls from the Gun Lobby, so we need to speak up NOW for what we want! We have come so far – and we know our committed members will not quit until Massachusetts is a safer place!

Back
Top Bottom