Guys, wtf is this...normal/removable?

I have these little brown dots on my brand new 1911 that I didnt notice before. I tried a little bit of gun cleaner with a rag and they wont come off. Can these be removed? If not I want to get a replacement, for the money I paid for this 1911 I shouldnt have to deal with this.

dots1.jpg

dots2.jpg

dots3.jpg

is it a stainless slide? If so, it might have picked up tramp iron (i.e., iron filings, steel wool) & need passivation. (i.e., those are rust spots)

any S&W guys out there - is passivation a process step on those parts?

Is the gun unfired or have you been to the range with it ?

If unfired, I would guess small imperfections in the finish/coating. If you've been to the range, were you firing, or near someone who was firing, a revolver? If so, I would guess the marks came from a revolver spitting.

To be honest, the only thing I've seen that resembles that is small surface pits from rusting, possible even on a stainless gun under the right conditions.

Just my .02...

Being that you said it's new and unfired, I would send the slide back to Smith with a curt letter.. That's rather unacceptable for a brand new gun, if you ask me. Sorry you're having to deal with this - my sympathies. [sad]

Stainless doesn't mean it's rust proof, unfortunately. It's just much more rust resistant than plain metal.

My body sweat can make a gun rust within hours. The only gun I haven't been able to rust are my Glocks. God I love my Glocks.

I use nitrile gloves when cleaning my guns... to keep my hands clean... but really to keep my sweat/oils off of the guns. And they get a layer of Breakfree all over... then a wipe down with a silicone cloth before getting put away in the safe. Since I started using nitrile gloves... no more rust.

Being that you said it's new and unfired, I would send the slide back to Smith with a curt letter.. That's rather unacceptable for a brand new gun, if you ask me. Sorry you're having to deal with this - my sympathies. [sad]

I would absolutely take it back. It looks like a low quality stainless. It happens. If you other SW shooters have not seen this I would treat it as an exception and have them take care of it. Do not put Steel wool to it until you have exhausted any option with SW directly. I would imagine they would know instantly that you hit it with wool and may not want to hear about a finish issue after that treatment

Most alloys of stainless are less hard than straight steel. If you use steel wool on it you will be removing metal. I would send it back and let them sweat the fix.

Definitely take it back. Way too much of an investment to have to deal with that. Looks like rust spots, and like others have said, stainless is not impervious to corrosion. Sometimes stainless will have small fragments of regular steel in it, I have even seen steel in aluminum when I worked in a machine shop. Not worth sacrificing the finish of a new gun. Have S&W take care of it.
Kenny

I used some copper remover....let it soak for 20 minutes, scrubbed with a nylon soft brush for 10 minutes....repeated twice. They came out. Thanks for the tips guys.

I will wait to see if this happens after the gun sitting for 48 hours with the spots removed, if they keep coming back without and hand sweat/oil touching the slide then it could be an issue.

I used some copper remover....let it soak for 20 minutes, scrubbed with a nylon soft brush for 10 minutes....repeated twice. They came out. Thanks for the tips guys.

I will wait to see if this happens after the gun sitting for 48 hours with the spots removed, if they keep coming back without and hand sweat/oil touching the slide then it could be an issue.

Wipe down your guns with a few drops of oil before you store them. Do you have a golden rod or desiccant where you are storing your guns? If you don't control moisture, chances are it will happen again.

I wouldn't take a steel brush to it. It'll leave scratches.
I wouldn't use steel wool either. It too will leave fine scratches.

This is a finished stainless product which means you should treat it like a painted finish. You can ruin it.

What kind of cleaner did you try?

I would try hoppes #9

Yea I'm not sure about the steel wool or wire brush I'de be too scared to try. Did you try Hoppes #9 Solvent? Everytime I blacken my AK or Mosin with corrosive powder and I think I can never get it back to it's full potential, #9 makes pretty short work of it.

Stainless doesn't mean it's rust proof, unfortunately. It's just much more rust resistant than plain metal.

Absolutely. And, different grades of stainless have different degrees of rust resistance. My Kahr K40 is an all-stainless gun. The slide is fairly resistant to sweat, but the frame rusts like crazy from it.

My body sweat can make a gun rust within hours. The only gun I haven't been able to rust are my Glocks. God I love my Glocks.

Me too. I wear my Glock against my skin in the hot months, sweat all over it, and just wipe with a cloth when putting it away. I don't even bother to oil it. I've been doing this for years and there's never been a hint of rust. Tennifer finish is amazing.

+1 on Flitz, or if you can't find that, use Noxon. I prefer the latter because it's less abrasive, and I've used it on all kinds of metals from the precious variety to high carbon steel swords.

Never use steel wool on a stainless part! It will leave embedded pieces in the stainless that will serve as seeds for rust to start.

Back
Top Bottom