Gunvault = Fail

So, as many of you know, the older gunvaults with the braided cables are prone to failure. Mine failed, I did the fishing line trick, it worked for a while. today, my "fix" croaked and I was unable to open the thing with the key. I was easy able to open it with a flat head however. Not impressed.

Gunvault never responded to me at all when I asked about buying a replacement cable/motor, so I'm not too worried about posting this. In fact, considering how easy and fast it was to pry open, I don't know that I ever really needed a key at all. I am now throwing this POS away and buying something else.

the point -> do not trust your life to these things, as they are unreliable and easy to break open.

attachment.php

Attachments

• n20950196430460632214er8.jpg
    n20950196430460632214er8.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 607
I was thinking of getting something like that.

You want to hear a funny story.

I know a guy who bought 2 at one time from Wallyworld. On one, during set up the battery pack shorted the moment he put the batteries in.

When comparing with the other, it was obvious that the burnt one was flawed. Mismatched terminals. He took it back for an exchange.

A year later one of them died without warning. Dead battery- no warning light. He had a spare key.

Even though Gunvaults are junk they keep you Mass legal and keep kids out.

What is an alternative device for quick access?

Mine failed, I did the fishing line trick, it worked for a while. today, my "fix" croaked and I was unable to open the thing with the key.

I'm not familiar with the gun vault problems but it seems like yours broke a while ago? I think i would have gave up long before that.

I'm not familiar with the gun vault problems but it seems like yours broke a while ago? I think i would have gave up long before that.

I made it a secondary vault and used fishing line to somewhat repair the lock release per the example of another member on the forum. The main thing here is that it took me less than ten seconds to get into with a flat head screwdriver. Anyway, I'm giving up on it now.

I made it a secondary vault and used fishing line to somewhat repair the lock release per the example of another member on the forum. The main thing here is that it took me less than ten seconds to get into with a flat head screwdriver. Anyway, I'm giving up on it now.

Yeah I don't blame you time for a better safe/lock box

The issue with the Gunvault was a known defect, and the company replaced mine free of charge. The new ones been working fine, although ultimately I do agree with your assessment.

I was thinking something along these lines:

http://www.biz2bizonline.com/vline/compact.html

a little more money, but I think maybe a lot less suck.

The V-Line boxes use simplex mechanical locks.

I've used simplex locks at work for the past 20+ years and they have been bullet proof.

Yep, I have a smaller newer one too. However, the trust is gone, and I was able to pry it open way too fast. You should not be able to open it while casually walking by. Literally took me no time to pop it open, I probably could have done it at a run.

AFAIK there is no change to the structure?

The issue with the Gunvault was a known defect, and the company replaced mine free of charge. The new ones been working fine, although ultimately I do agree with your assessment.

The V-Line boxes use simplex mechanical locks.

I've used simplex locks at work for the past 20+ years and they have been bullet proof.

Weird, I sent them a couple of emails, no response. I probably tried to call them as well, can't remember specifically anymore. I saw similar stories online so just figured they were thumbing their noses at us.

Reliability is one thing, security another.

These types of boxes only achieve two things, the first is compliance with the law, the second, they keep honest people honest.

If you don't feel the reliability factor is there, stay away.

Anything short of a legitimate safe can be defeated in a very short period of time. But don't forget, fancy safes can have lock failures also.

I use it simply to be in compliance with MA law.

It's just like having a coiled lock around the handle of your gun case. You can just open the edges of the case and pull whatever you want out. It's simply compliance with the law.

You shouldn't use the GunVault as a "safe".

I don't think the security part is the main fault here.

I think the potential for it to break when you need it not to is the main
concern.

At least with those v-line safes it seems like there is less to go wrong.

I have a gun vault clone, (DAC sport safe?) seems to work fine... but if it
ever gives me a lick of trouble, it'll quickly become a range target.

-Mike

I guess for me the combination of being almost useless as even a lock box and not reliable, coupled with the company not responding to me at all (and congrats to those that did get a replacement) has soured me on the product.

i don't blame you. i was just pointing out that they seemed to have solved the reliability issue with the new units. stay away from the biometric units, though. the reader is crap, and it takes a full 1.5 seconds to activate after your fingerprint is scanned, and also requires a primary button to be pushed before the reader even activates. way, way too many steps.

I don't even have a fingerprint on my ltc, I'm sure that would be a nightmare for me.

I was thinking something along these lines:

http://www.biz2bizonline.com/vline/compact.html

a little more money, but I think maybe a lot less suck.

That little locking case sucks. It's too big to fit in most drawers and open without taking it out of the drawer, and difficult to open besides. The V-Lines are really good in their locking mechanisms otherwise, and the Hideaways and Deskmates are much better. The doors swing open with gravity's help and can be mounted under a desk, bed, nightstand, etc.

You can get them at Eastern Security Safe in Mendon, but be forewarned: buy from their stock or be prepared to bug them about the order. It took over a month for them to remember to order mine.

I have a Gunvault Biosafe. I think it is a piece of junk. It works with my finger about 40% of the time. Not very quick access. I use it to store my carry gun. I also have a V-Line safe under the bed and is very quick in the dark. I would not depend on the Gunvault.

I'm the one who posted the "fishing line" fix about a year or so ago. Although that fix is still working for me, I agree with most of the points made here. The Gun Vault is not intended to be secure from any half-serious attack. I don't keep anything in it that I'm not prepared to lose to thieves. But as others said it meets the letter of the law while providing fast access.

The company had informed me a while ago that the mechanism on the newer ones was improved. The picture of that update posted here seems to confirm that, so I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new one. But like any device it will never be 100% reliable. Many people complain that the biometric model is garbage and I'm not surprised - it's an idiotic idea doomed to fail from the start, dreamed up no doubt by some brilliant marketing guy.

I think I'm going to open mine up and see how the "fix" is holding up. If it looks at all flakey I'll be ordering a new one.

Last edited:
I'm the one who posted the "fishing line" fix about a year or so ago. Although that fix is still working for me, I agree with most of the points made here. The Gun Vault is not intended to be secure from any half-serious attack. I don't keep anything in it that I'm not prepared to lose to thieves. But as others said it meets the letter of the law while providing fast access.

The company had informed me a while ago that the mechanism on the newer ones was improved. The picture of that update posted here seems to confirm that, so I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new one. But like any device it will never be 100% reliable. Many people complain that the biometric model is garbage and I'm not surprised - it's an idiotic idea doomed to fail from the start, dreamed up no doubt by some brilliant marketing guy.

I think I'm going to open mine up and see how the "fix" is holding up. If it looks at all flakey I'll be ordering a new one.

Your right, I am probably being too harsh here. In your original thread someone mentioned not liking being an uninformed "beta tester". I have to admit that annoyed me as well.

If it breaks on you I have a 1/4 flat head you can borrow. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom