• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

gunsmith programs?

Golddiggie

NES Member
I've started looking into different gunsmith education programs due to how things are going in my current field. At this point I've read information from both SDI (sdi.edu) and MGS (mgs.edu). SDI is NOT cheap to go through their programs. MGS looks more budget friendly. At this point I don't have a lathe (I do have a good size milling machine). I'm considering both of the 'advanced' programs from MGS ($2500 and $6000 respective costs). What I've seen from SDI is a good amount more than that. None of these programs are fast to finish (looks like probably a couple of years either way). Especially if you're also working full time while trying to go through them.

Interested in know if anyone has gone through what MGS offers. Is it enough to get started in gunsmithing? I'm also trying to figure out if the SDI programs require on site enrollment, or if it can be a remote program. There's a less than zero chance of me going out to Arizona for this. Which would put MGS as the top runner since it appears to be a 100% remote type deal.

I plan to send off messages to both places soon. If there are any gunsmiths that have used either program set, I'm interested in learning how things went.

As for the career change, I'm not expecting to do a clean cutover right away. I know it will take time to build up enough business to get that to happen. I'm also exploring other options for what to transition into. If nothing else, it would be nice to have a nice side gig that I could use for some additional income.

Back
Top Bottom