• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guns: Path to a Gun License

Can't find it. NES reviewed and critiqued this 2-1/2 years ago.

Hate "suitability" and "candidate" to start with.

✌ out.

WCBV's Anthony Everett walks us through the path of legally obtaining a gun license in Massachusetts.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1jC32K26dU

Nice how they leave out the extra legal requirements many municipalities add to the application process and how very few departments ever provide an answer in the 40 days. They present the ideal situation as the normal situation ignoring the real situation.

There are some DAO that have no manual safety. It is a decocker lever. They are not as common.
I think Kalish was more expressing surprise at the fact that the instructor emphasized how decocking was one of the things they made sure to teach than his being unaware of the concept of a decocking lever. I know it certainly struck me as an odd thing to bring up, as opposed to the standard rules of safe handing plus loading / unloading.

I think Kalish was more expressing surprise at the fact that the instructor emphasized how decocking was one of the things they made sure to teach than his being unaware of the concept of a decocking lever. I know it certainly struck me as an odd thing to bring up, as opposed to the standard rules of safe handing plus loading / unloading.
So many guns have no reliably safe method of decocking,
that teaching best practices sounded perfectly cromulent to me.

So many guns have no reliably safe method of decocking,
that teaching best practices sounded perfectly cromulent to me.
Most guns don't need to be decocked. I've never found myself in a situation where I had to drop the hammer on a 1911 without unloading the gun or lower the hammer on a revolver I just put into single action. Knowing how to set adjustable sights is important too but I wouldn't highlight that as one of the most important topics, that's all. Just seemed strange how much he highlighted it.

Most guns don't need to be decocked. I've never found myself in a situation where I had to drop the hammer on a 1911 without unloading the gun or lower the hammer on a revolver I just put into single action. Knowing how to set adjustable sights is important too but I wouldn't highlight that as one of the most important topics, that's all. Just seemed strange how much he highlighted it.
For years I carried a S&W 459 (typical double retention holster), after loading the gun you decock it then secure it in the holster. And because this was THE way it was carried, I went through that process every time I was practicing at the range. So I decocked it literally thousands of times.
I think you will find this pretty typical of anyone carrying a DA/SA gun.

Most guns don't need to be decocked. I've never found myself in a situation where I had to drop the hammer on a 1911 without unloading the gun or lower the hammer on a revolver I just put into single action.
That is an interesting way to look at it.
(I wasn't implying I knew of some (safe) use case that justified it).

A modest web search yields some stupidity,
but no decent justifications for manually decocking a hammer-fired semi-auto.

Plenty of calls for doing it on all sorts of revolvers.
I'm not a wheelgun guy,
but I'm gonna assume you weren't including them in your statement.

For years I carried a S&W 459 (typical double retention holster), after loading the gun you decock it then secure it in the holster. And because this was THE way it was carried, I went through that process every time I was practicing at the range. So I decocked it literally thousands of times.
I think you will find this pretty typical of anyone carrying a DA/SA gun.
I'ma go out on a limb and baldly state that no one's concerned about
learning to decock a pistol with a manual decocking lever by moving a lever.

And yes, I ran across at least one account of a thread out there
about always decocking those DA/SA guns at the same time you'd
engage the safety on an SA pistol. So yes, thousands of times.

Back
Top Bottom