• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guns on the Appalachian Trail + Preppers v. Backpackers

aeromarine

NES Member
I started watching "Dixie's" (Jessica Mills's) videos on hiking and gear a couple of weeks ago. She's truly amazing. Having having never hiked or camped before at age 30, she went off an did all 2200 miles of the Appalachian Trail in 2015, followed by the Pacific Crest Trail (2300 miles) in 2017 and the Continental Divide Trail in 2019. While on trail she began gear testing and blogging, and now she has millions of views and lots of followers.

Anyway, then I saw the title of this video (Do you need a gun on the AT?) and thought, "Oh no, she's going to come out as anti-gun. That's going to ruin it for me." Luckily, I was pleasantly surprised! Note that she is fanatical about the weight of her gear when hiking and even cuts down the handles of her toothbrushes to reduce it. Suggest you check out her other videos. She a solo hiker often pushes on through dangerous territory when the guys are turning back. And she's definitely "Not Guilty"! Also, in the second video she makes great points about prepping and backpacking. If there are any doubting females in your life, she may be able to bring them around.

Hope you enjoy!

Do You Need a Gun on the Appalachian Trail? - YouTube

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v23_G8qsm2s

I started watching "Dixie's" (Jessica Mills's) videos on hiking and gear a couple of weeks ago. She's truly amazing. Having having never hiked or camped before at age 30, she went off an did all 2200 miles of the Appalachian Trail in 2015, followed by the Pacific Crest Trail (2300 miles) in 2017 and the Continental Divide Trail in 2019. While on trail she began gear testing and blogging, and now she has millions of views and lots of followers.

Anyway, then I saw the title of this video (Do you need a gun on the AT?) and thought, "Oh no, she's going to come out as anti-gun. That's going to ruin it for me." Luckily, I was pleasantly surprised! Note that she is fanatical about the weight of her gear when hiking and even cuts down the handles of her toothbrushes to reduce it. Suggest you check out her other videos. She a solo hiker often pushes on through dangerous territory when the guys are turning back. And she's definitely "Not Guilty"! Also, in the second video she makes great points about prepping and backpacking. If there are any doubting females in your life, she may be able to bring them around.

Hope you enjoy!

I am a recent follower of her due to trekking poles. I feel she is a good, straight up resource.

Click the sub button and clack that liberty bell!

Yes, I think she was well aware that, at a minimum, gun possession in the states of Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut and Massachusetts would not be lawful. But her main concern on her long distance hikes is weight. She even cuts the handles off of her toothbrushes to save 1/2 and OZ!

I did it in 1998. I didn't carry either because of the weight and the legality through the majority of states. When you're walking 15-25 miles a day up and over 169 individual mountains, 2200 miles (not including wrong turns) over 160+ consecutive days...you let a lot of things go. For the summer months, I got rid of my stove and ate cold food. I got rid of my tent and slept on a tarp. I pulled the center out of the TP roll before packing it...etc. A gun (particularly back then) weighed as much as a tent. Funny, now I couldn't imagine being unarmed that long. Times change.

I just watched part of her 'gun' video posted by PennyPincher. She seemed reasonable until she stated that she normally carries, but didn't on the Appalachian Trail. I think any female who goes hiking alone, especially a looong hike and doesn't carry is just nuts. Just my opinion.
At least she didn’t openly admit on YouTube to commuting a felony by carrying in those states... maybe she did carry :)

One thing that hasn’t come up but is very relevant is post offices. Most people mail packages filled with supplies/dried food to themselves (or have them mailed) which means that once a week or so (tough to carry more than a week’s worth of food) you have to find a road crossing and hitch hike into a small town in the middle of nowhere and pick up your package inside a PO which is a federal no/no w/firearms. Plus, remember you’re dirty, smelly dude (lady) technically a vagrant and hikers do get rousted by the local PO PO every now and then... particularly back then. All of that makes carrying (even deeply concealed) a challenge.

I just watched part of her 'gun' video posted by PennyPincher. She seemed reasonable until she stated that she normally carries, but didn't on the Appalachian Trail. I think any female who goes hiking alone, especially a looong hike and doesn't carry is just nuts. Just my opinion.
I don't go on a hike alone without a gun. [smile]

When I worked part time at Wally World, I had a girl that would come in that was part of the people that would be part of the "association" that worked or monitored the trail (not sure exactly what they did) but she would carry a .454. I think her family had money, because she said her father had a chance to be in on the original Kittery Trading Post, plus she almost always paid with $100 bills.

No worries, the trail is closed due to Covid...

I thought you were kidding and checked, but you weren't...

For the love of God WHY? Aren't hikers pretty much by definition self quarantined? As for through hikers nobody would even CONSIDER being in as closed space with them once they've been on the trail a couple weeks...

For the love of God WHY? Aren't hikers pretty much by definition self quarantined? As for through hikers nobody would even CONSIDER being in as closed space with them once they've been on the trail a couple weeks...

How hard is it to disobey the closing? And hike anyway? That would be my plan.

How hard is it to disobey the closing? And hike anyway? That would be my plan.

The trail passes through a bunch of state and/or national parks. My guess is you can simply go around any gates. Park Rangers might not like that and if you did run afoul of one, perhaps you'd be arrested. Totally guessing though.

Does law enforcement routinely search hikers and backpackers on the AT?

One thing that hasn’t come up but is very relevant is post offices. Most people mail packages filled with supplies/dried food to themselves (or have them mailed) which means that once a week or so (tough to carry more than a week’s worth of food) you have to find a road crossing and hitch hike into a small town in the middle of nowhere and pick up your package inside a PO which is a federal no/no w/firearms. Plus, remember you’re dirty, smelly dude (lady) technically a vagrant and hikers do get rousted by the local PO PO every now and then... particularly back then. All of that makes carrying (even deeply concealed) a challenge.

The AT goes near, or maybe even into, built-up areas. Hikers often stop in town to resupply, send and receive mail, meet up with people, and generally bathe, get sleep in a hotel, and relax a little. They're not in hermetic isolation constantly.

And yes, some of them can pass for bums. Though, they don't know the area typically as well as a local would, and they can travel in groups. Most hikers are pretty laid back people who aren't interested in causing trouble, but there's always a risk of running into cops, especially when you look and smell like a bum.

this is a common discussion on the backpacking forums. Fact is the AT is much safer than every day life "off trail." Add in the weight but also having to keep it accessible and hiking through all kinds of weather especially wet weather where EVERYTHING is wet and it becomes pretty easy to leave it at home. Add in the 14 different states with different laws and it can be a real hassle. And yes, I subscribe to the theory that if you need one and don't have one, who cares if it's legal in that state. I also subscribe to the theory that if a cop is searching my stuff I probably am already in a world of hurt for doing something wrong. But everyone has to weigh the factors and decide what's best for them.

I did it in 1998. I didn't carry either because of the weight and the legality through the majority of states. When you're walking 15-25 miles a day up and over 169 individual mountains, 2200 miles (not including wrong turns) over 160+ consecutive days...you let a lot of things go. For the summer months, I got rid of my stove and ate cold food. I got rid of my tent and slept on a tarp. I pulled the center out of the TP roll before packing it...etc. A gun (particularly back then) weighed as much as a tent. Funny, now I couldn't imagine being unarmed that long. Times change.
these days NO ONE carries w WHOLE ROLL of TP! That's way too heavy!!!

Basically, CYA. If the ATC were to say "oh yeah, just go ahead and hike and ignore all local laws" they would get crap.

Hikers are crossing state lines. Various states have rules about that and testing before or after entering. So it would be impossible to really manage that.
Hikers are not self quarantined as a rule. There is a great amount of comraderie and congregating. Take for example the annual outbreaks of norovirus on the trail every year.

While hiking each day most people are more spread out but they congregate at shelters and water spots and overlooks/views/etc. Then they tend to be in town every 5 days or so, sometimes more. They, for the most part, resupply at stores along the way, rent rooms in a hostel/hotel for a night or 2, and tank up at All you Can Eat buffets (AYCE), take a shower and such. So much of that support is not open currently, or could be shut down, etc.

The trail passes through a bunch of state and/or national parks. My guess is you can simply go around any gates. Park Rangers might not like that and if you did run afoul of one, perhaps you'd be arrested. Totally guessing though.
not a lot of gates in the way. not a lot of national parks either. Shenandoah National Park, I believe, has shut down their shelters to hikers and they DO enforce camping rules every year. SNP you need a reservation at shelters due to bears and a pass. Thru hikers can pay $20 to hike thru the park on the AT, usually, but must camp in/at a shelter. My guess would be they are definitely enforcing the rules this year as well.

Brings up an interesting point. Since you are allowed to transport a firearm between states locked in the trunk of your car. Shouldn't you be allowed to transport a firearm walking between states?
Oh you can!!

There was a long thread about this on another forum. Even the rabid 2A guys got nutty about carrying on the AT. I don’t get it. You are alone, miles in the woods around a bunch of strangers and possibly dangerous animals. Why do people get silly about carrying there?

Hope you enjoy!

i came across her channel Homemade Wanderlust like 4 weeks ago and I've been hooked on her videos and I don't even hike. lol

Back
Top Bottom