• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guns on the Appalachian Trail + Preppers v. Backpackers

i think one of the problems is that some of the structures, like lean to's, etc, that are erected on Federal land, probably you are prohibited from having a gun, because it "is a federal building"

"Please remember that federal law prohibits firearms in certain park facilities and buildings. These places are marked with signs at public entrances."

not sure exactly what that means.
National Parks now allow carry in accordance with local state law. There are buildings on National Park Lands that prohibit carry but those buildings must have signs. Shelters and Lean to's do NOT have signs prohibiting carry and I would venture it would be quite a legal challenge to get enforceable signage on them anyway.

i do not know for sure one way or the other, but i have seen plenty of arguments that they ARE federal buildings on hiker websites.....

(g) As used in this section:
(1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.

(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.[/i[

Faneuil Hall is a National Historical Park.
FTFY.
Not that it necessarily makes a difference.

Closest NP is Acadia, nu?

(Only full-fledged NP I think I've ever been to is Grand Canyon).

Shelters and Lean to's do NOT have signs prohibiting carry and I would venture it would be quite a legal challenge to get keep enforceable signage on them anyway.
FTFY.

The signs would have to be fireproof, for one thing.

One thing that hasn’t come up but is very relevant is post offices. Most people mail packages filled with supplies/dried food to themselves (or have them mailed) which means that once a week or so (tough to carry more than a week’s worth of food) you have to find a road crossing and hitch hike into a small town in the middle of nowhere and pick up your package inside a PO which is a federal no/no w/firearms. Plus, remember you’re dirty, smelly dude (lady) technically a vagrant and hikers do get rousted by the local PO PO every now and then... particularly back then. All of that makes carrying (even deeply concealed) a challenge.
There was a documentary about what can happen when local yokels roust transients:

1613004682110.png

A Unity College student and her girlfriend were murdered 25 years ago at a national park. The killer is still unknown.
It’s been a quarter century since Unity College student Laura “Lollie” Winans, 26, and her girlfriend, Julianne “Julie” Williams, 24, were brutally slain at their backcountry campsite in Shenandoah National Park in Virginia. The women, accompanied by Winans’ golden retriever, Taj, had begun a backpacking trip in the national park on May 19, 1996. They had planned to explore some of the beautiful parts of the Appalachian mountains, with the trip coming after the end of Winans’ school year and before Williams was set to begin a new job in Vermont, on June 1. On May 31, after Williams didn’t come home when she was expected, her father reported the young women missing. Rangers set out to look for them, first finding their car parked near Skyland Lodge, a hotel, and then Taj, who was wandering alone through the woods. The next day, rangers found their bodies at their campsite. They had been bound and gagged, with their throats slashed. Their murders frightened hikers and wilderness enthusiasts, and caused many to call for authorities to investigate them as a hate crime because the victims were lesbians. But despite the enormous investigative, media and community response to the crime, the murders remain unsolved.

Yep... murder does happen on the trail

at-murders-map-3.jpg

Yep... murder does happen on the trail

at-murders-map-3.jpg
A guy from Massachusetts is responsible for the 2019 one but was found not guilty due to insanity.

24oz, please. You'll lose that weight in a few days. 10 to 15 lbs in a few weeks. She states deaths. How about assaults?

I completed 50 miles of it around 1981
That's very respectable. I was thinking how lucky I am to have amazing backpacking technology (freeze dried food, rapid boil stove, tents that pack into nothing, water filtration, GPS, inflatable sleeping pads with pillows, etc.). When you went, you had a heavy backpack, some granola and nuts, drank from streams, slept on rocks. I'm not sure I could replicate what you did, so kudos to you [cheers]

That's very respectable. I was thinking how lucky I am to have amazing backpacking technology (freeze dried food, rapid boil stove, tents that pack into nothing, water filtration, GPS, inflatable sleeping pads with pillows, etc.). When you went, you had a heavy backpack, some granola and nuts, drank from streams, slept on rocks. I'm not sure I could replicate what you did, so kudos to you [cheers]
You didn't read the ispoiler tag did you 😂

My hope is to actually do the whole thing in a few years, with my son

I would recommend that a hiker on the Appalachian Trail carry a good, lightweight, folding hunter like the Cold Steel "Voyager" or "Recon 1". In the backpack, carry a good hunting knife with a 4" to 6" blade, such as the Cold Steel "Master Hunter" or "SRK". I would avoid carrying knives that are obviously designed as weapons, such as a Bowie or stiletto.

FTFY.
Not that it necessarily makes a difference.

Closest NP is Acadia, nu?

(Only full-fledged NP I think I've ever been to is Grand Canyon).

FTFY.

The signs would have to be fireproof, for one thing.
Depending where you are, don't forget Cape Cod National Seashore or Minuteman National Park.

Search for: Is a national seashore a national park?
Why is Cape Cod National Seashore a national park?
The goal, he wrote, was "to preserve the natural and historic values of a portion of Cape Cod for the inspiration and enjoyment of people all over the United States." This was the first time the federal government had created a national park out of land that was primarily in private hands.

I completed 50 miles of it around 1981

You didn't read the ispoiler tag did you 😂

My hope is to actually do the whole thing in a few years, with my son
I would like to try from Central Mass., going both North and South to the state borders, and eventually the entire New England length of it. This would be over many weekends in small pieces.

I would recommend that a hiker on the Appalachian Trail carry a good, lightweight, folding hunter like the Cold Steel "Voyager" or "Recon 1". In the backpack, carry a good hunting knife with a 4" to 6" blade, such as the Cold Steel "Master Hunter" or "SRK". I would avoid carrying knives that are obviously designed as weapons, such as a Bowie or stiletto.
Benchmade Nimravus on a belt sheath.

Oh by the way, how is it that nobody asked what a good gun for hiking the AT would be? Animals don’t worry me much, so I guess I would either go with A small .380 like the LCP or my current EDC the LCR in .357
Getting arrested and convicted for carrying a handgun in New York without a New York handgun license is a felony with a minimum mandatory 3.5 year prison sentence. Plus, you will lose your 2A rights nation-wide, forever. Think twice!

Getting arrested and convicted for carrying a handgun in New York without a New York handgun license is a felony with a minimum mandatory 3.5 year prison sentence. Plus, you will lose your 2A rights nation-wide, forever. Think twice!
Sounds better than getting chopped up by a looney 😉

Back
Top Bottom