guns in car

I have been going through Ct's statues and laws over and over again and being that everything is so vauge and there are so many gray areas I am confused. All I can find is that if you have a gun in a car it has to be unloaded and locked in the trunk. But what if it is on your person and concealed , is that technicly legal?

The restrictions on transporting handguns in a vehicle as listed in CGS § 29-35 (unloaded, in trunk or locked container) applies to non permit holders. In other words, permit holders may carry while in their vehicles.

I have been going through Ct's statues and laws over and over again and being that everything is so vauge and there are so many gray areas I am confused. All I can find is that if you have a gun in a car it has to be unloaded and locked in the trunk. But what if it is on your person and concealed , is that technicly legal?

I'm not a lawyer. However, I have read the statutes many times and believe I have a practical understanding of them.

If you have a Connecticut pistol permit, you may legally carry in your vehicle or anywhere else not specifically prohibited by law or by the property owner.

Regarding transporting guns unloaded and in the trunk, I believe you are referring to the content in sections 29-35 (regarding handguns) and 29-38 (regarding weapons).

If you look at those sections, however, you will see that the transportation restrictions (unloaded and inaccessible from the passenger compartment) apply to the many exceptions in which you are allowed to transport a gun or weapon without a permit (to competitions, to training, to repairs, between a residence and place of business, by licensed hunters, fishermen, or trappers, etc., etc.).

http://www.jud.state.ct.us/lawlib/Law/firearms.htm

That is what I always thought I just want to know for sure. I wish things were srictly black and white, not open to some form of interpratation.

slightly off-topic, but what exactly is the law for non-residents? It it legal for me to bring my pistol (unloaded, locked & in trunk) across state line to shoot?

thanks!

Back
Top Bottom