Gunman Robs Post Office

http://www.dunndailyrecord.com/print.asp?ArticleID=94664&SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1

Gunman Robs Post Office

Monday, March 03, 2008

The U.S. Post Office in Benson was robbed at gunpoint just before closing on Friday. Two shots were fired, but no one was hurt, authorities say.

Sometime just before 5 p.m., a black, masked man walked into the post office and demanded money.

The Benson Police Department and the Johnston County Sheriff's Office responded for assistance before the U.S. Postal Service took over the investigation.

According to J.E. Hoke Jr., the U.S. postal inspector on the case, the robber ran from the building in an unknown direction after taking an undisclosed amount of cash.

Mr. Hoke pointed out a sign on the doors leading into the post office later Friday night that warns potential robbers that the armed robbery of a postal employee or installation carries a mandatory 25-year prison sentence upon conviction.

I thought guns were not allowed on Federal property?
We all know that gun-free zones are a deterent to crime, the only explanation is that he didn't know guns weren't allowed.

Mr. Hoke pointed out a sign on the doors leading into the post office later Friday night that warns potential robbers that the armed robbery of a postal employee or installation carries a mandatory 25-year prison sentence upon conviction.
I guess they need to make the sign bigger.

Last edited:
30 years ago the window clerks use to have a holster with a S&W 38 nailed to the side of their booth at knee level.

[popcorn]

So the PO in Pittsfield (01201) has a sign saying that it is basically a federal offense to use a firearm to commit a crime in the PO but the Dalton PO (01226) says possession of a firearm on PO property is a federal offense. But I guess [horse] won't change anything.

As an aside, if there's one group of federal agents I'd not want to deal with, it would be postal inspectors. Heavily armed mailmen...

Back
Top Bottom