Gun won't stay zeroed?

I go to the range, zero in my rifle and shoot tight groups. The next week the rifle is shooting off by as much as 3" and I have to zero it again. Which is the most likely culprit? Mounts, rings, or the scope?

More info? What do you have for all 3? Also, have you checked and made sure nothing is even the slightest bit loose? Is it off the same direction each time?

I go to the range, zero in my rifle and shoot tight groups. The next week the rifle is shooting off by as much as 3" and I have to zero it again. Which is the most likely culprit? Mounts, rings, or the scope?

not saying it is your issue, but i had a set of cheap rings on my CZ...if i even touched the scope it would lose zero. i upgraded to set a nice set of Warnes and it never loses Zero

what gun/rings/scope do you have? need more info!

Did you use threadlocker such as loctite on the mounts and rings? Did the scope get jarred? (rifle knocked over etc?)

After checking for loose screws, mount etc. I would try to remember if the weather was roughly the same. The scope may be coming apart due to recoil too. I am no expert by any means, just some of my experiences.

Please post your findings when resolved.

Not sure what mounts or rings I have. I went to the local gun shop and had them mount a Barska scope I bought online. I do know the mounts are high mounts to accommodate the 50mm objective scope I have. I doubt the issue is recoil because the gun is a .17HMR which has little recoil. I will check everything for looseness and try some loc-tite if anything is loose. Do scopes themselves actually lose zero?

If I'm not mistaken you should use purple loctite for bases and rings so they can be loosened without using special methods. Saw this on one of those MidwayUSA blurbs on a TV gunshow.
Chuck

Not sure what mounts or rings I have. I went to the local gun shop and had them mount a Barska scope I bought online. I do know the mounts are high mounts to accommodate the 50mm objective scope I have. I doubt the issue is recoil because the gun is a .17HMR which has little recoil. I will check everything for looseness and try some loc-tite if anything is loose. Do scopes themselves actually lose zero?

There are a lot of possible reasons. Yes, scopes can be bad internally. Is it always off in the same direction? Is the scope a variable or fixed power? If a variable, does the point of impact change when you increase or decrease the magnification?

It's also possible that the scope is holding zero but something is causing the rifle to shoot to a different point of impact. An example is a forend that is putting too much pressure on the barrel. If you have another scope and rifle setup you can try switching the scopes and rezeroing both. If the problem occurs on rifle #2 then it pretty much points to the scope/rings. If rifle #2 is okay but the problem occurs again on the original rifle then you have something else going on.

I've found when dealing with optics and accessories you have to go high end or don't go at all.

I've gone through all the cheap stuff and have settled on using Warne rings on everything I shoot with optics. They aren't the absolute top of the line but are affordable and well made rings.

Its also best to do the mounting yourself. A Wheeler scope mounting kit is a big help in aligning and lapping rings. The Wheeler FAT Wrench is also a great tool because it allows you to tighten at the correct torque without damaging rings or mounts.

If you do some research online there are a few sites that show how to correctly instal bases, rings, and scopes.

I always use the same ammo. Gun will be off in a different direction every time. After zeroing again gun shoots fine for the rest of the session. I have a new scope on order and will follow the suggestions for mounts and rings. I will also do the mounting myself this time.
Thanks for the help everybody.

What brand and type rings and mounts are you using?

What is the scope brand and model?

Hard to give an educated opinion without knowing that.

?

are you using quality ammo? sometimes if i use cheap stuff, at 50 yards i can see about 2 inches away from the previous shot. also high rings wont do it if they are good rings, i have HI warnes on and they hold excellent. you arent using see through rings are you?

Chrisg67, all .17HMR ammo is made by CCI even though it is branded by several companies so there is no "good" ammo or "bad" ammo. I personally use Hornady 17GR V-Max with the polymer tip.
boomerang, as I said in an earlier reply I have a new scope on order(will arrive on Thursday). If the problem is the scope maybe the new scope will be the answer.
To all, thanks for your replies. I will start another post about where to get Warne rings since everybody seem to recommend them.

Chrisg67, all .17HMR ammo is made by CCI even though it is branded by several companies so there is no "good" ammo or "bad" ammo. I personally use Hornady 17GR V-Max with the polymer tip.

ahh sorry, not familiar with the world of .17

boomerang, as I said in an earlier reply I have a new scope on order(will arrive on Thursday). If the problem is the scope maybe the new scope will be the answer.
To all, thanks for your replies. I will start another post about where to get Warne rings since everybody seem to recommend them.

This is incorrect. CCI produces Federal, Remington, and Hornady, but other companies make their own.

Sounds like your mount/rings may be crap and your scope is questionable. I use Leopould rings with my Mark IV (700PSS) and a Larue LT104 with a Bushnell Elite 10x40 (AR). Both systems have served me well.

That happened to me with my AR15 and it ended up that Stag forgot to torque down the barrel nut during assembly. Over time it started to loosen.

I realized it when I went to change the handguard and found the barrel nut finger-loose.

Problem figured out!

I finally figured out why every time I go to the range my scope is way off even though it was zeroed in the last time I used it. I use a bench rest with a vise-like front end. It turns out that when I tighten the vise it is high enough on the sides to touch the scope. Depending on how I laid the rifle in the rest the vise would move the scope left or right when I tightened. Minor modification to the vise and problem solved. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I ended up installing a better set of rings while diagnosing this issue so it wasn't a total waste of time. Now I can go shoot those dime size groups at 100 yards without wasting a lot of ammo zeroing in again.

Back
Top Bottom