• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

gun vise ?

Neptune Cat

NES Member
What do you use for a gun vise?

I would like to change the sights on my 10/22 to tech sights and I
have no way of removeing the old sights and installing the new ones.
I have brass punches and of course a hammer but nothing to hold the
barrel in. I haven't even thought about the rear sight.

I've also tried to move the Novak reare sight on my S&W CS9 with no luck.

Can anyone help?

For the 10/22, get someone to hold the action for you with the barrel parallel to the surface of a worktable while you drive out the front sight and install the new one; that's how I did it. As for the rear... well, there's no reason to remove it. Just leave it folded down. Or remove it the same way, your choice. To install the rear all you need is a screwdriver and LocTite.

Wrap barrel in 2 layers of leather, vice down on the leather with wood stips covering the "teeth" on the vice if its a standard one. I seriously doubt you could ever torque a vice enough by hand to do any actual damage to the barrel beyond finish, but who knows. I have brass and rubber fittings to go over my vice jaws for clamping down on knife steel without scratching it.

I have found a Black&decker workmate very handy for sight work on long guns.
The top is grooved on the edge and adjusts independantly so it will hold a tapered barrel.

Jack

Brownells has a good selection of vise jaw pads to protect and hold your work. They also sell an excellent vise called the "Versa Vise" that is designed for gunsmithing and swivels to allow access to the work. It lists for $220. I almost bought one but learned that the same product is available from several other sources for $50 delivered. I'm sure that the Brownells vise is of higher quality than my $50 version, but I have been using mine or several years with no complaints and recommend it highly.

The vise has been on the market for many years and is also known as a "Parrot Vise". It was actually designed to be a luthier's (guitar maker's) vise but has been put to many other uses. I bought mine from "Grizzly"; they have a web site.

I do a lot of rifle building and gunsmithing. Over the years I have tried several different gun vises. The one I use now is the best gun vise I've found anywhere. It is called (coincidently enough) Best Gun Vise and is made by Tipton.
It will hold any firearm from your bolt action .22 to your favorite black rifle, hand guns too. They go for around $100 and are worth every penny. I got mine from Midway, but they are available all over.

I do a lot of rifle building and gunsmithing. Over the years I have tried several different gun vises. The one I use now is the best gun vise I've found anywhere. It is called (coincidently enough) Best Gun Vise and is made by Tipton.
It will hold any firearm from your bolt action .22 to your favorite black rifle, hand guns too. They go for around $100 and are worth every penny. I got mine from Midway, but they are available all over.

I really like the looks of that, but, will it stand up to something like
knocking dovetail sights out of a gun? Have you used it for this type
of work? I have hit the rear sight on my CS9 pretty hard with no
movement. Maybe they shouldn't be that tight and the 10/22 will be
much easier. I still haven't tried it.

I use a set of rubber jaws that have imbedded magnets in them. They just slip onto the vice jaws and the magnets hold them in place. I think I picked them up at Home Cheapo IIRC.

I have done a lot of sight work. I have had them fit anywhere from falling out with a light tap, to where the sight had just about become one with the barrel or receiver.
Your's will hopefully fall somewhere in the middle. I have a MGW sight press for pistols, but I have used the vise for some rifle sight work, just recently on a Marlin model 60. (similar to your 10/22)
So the answer your question is probably, but if you've got one that's really on there, you may have to brake it loose first.

I have a standard vise that I use for dovetail sight swaps.Mostly handguns I just wrap the slide thoroughly with several t-shirts.A bit of oil.block of hard wood and a hammer.Has yet to let me down.[smile]

Tipton makes a few different models. I got mine at Midway also, gotta love the C&R dealer pricing.

Back
Top Bottom