Gun Violence report in the hands of DeLeo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, but not one more step. This way, the same as CT, they pass a law requiring actual registration and they know they get 10% compliance; that makes their life very difficult. Either they come get all of us or none of us; selective prosecution, equal protection - all that Constitutional stuff.

Then there's people that are prescribed anti-depressants for treatment in 'off-label' situations.

When I tried to quit smoking, they tried to prescribed Wellbutrin, which is an anti depressant. NO WAY did I allow them to.

I quit cold turkey, which worked fine.

My Coast Guard med evals are very tough now, not to mention what is coming down the pike for this.

When I tried to quit smoking, they tried to prescribed Wellbutrin, which is an anti depressant. NO WAY did I allow them to.

I quit cold turkey, which worked fine.

My Coast Guard med evals are very tough now, not to mention what is coming down the pike for this.

My doctor gave me wellbutrin when I quit. I was one of the lucky people who went in fine, but had the rare side effect of suicidal thoughts. It was crazy surreal/bizarre. I've never been depressed or suicidal ever in my entire life. Within two days of being on it I had thoughts of hating my life and not wanting to live. I knew it was the drug so I called the doc, we stopped it, and the side effect went away within a day. It was weird and scary though. I knew it was the drug but it made my mind race with "what if this feeling never goes away, I couldn't live if I felt like this permanently", extreme mind racing and anxiety.

It was scary to see how a drug could make you think that way.

I then continued my quit cold turkey and am almost at 5 years smoke free.

I know, but not one more step. This way, the same as CT, they pass a law requiring actual registration and they know they get 10% compliance; that makes their life very difficult. Either they come get all of us or none of us; selective prosecution, equal protection - all that Constitutional stuff.

MA is not going to bother to do that. Like PaulD says, we're all "marked" in this state by virtue of having a license. It's not like CT where no permit is required to own a rifle.

-Mike

I was present for a panel on gun violence and mental health back in October that featured voices from the mental health community. While I suspect all of them favor gun control in the broader sense, none of them seemed to want any more mental health disqualifiers to gun rights, arguing it would dissuade people from seeking treatment. It came off to me as a "we need gun control, but look for it somewhere else."

Same thing happened at the federal level for years even before Newtown.

There was discussion about changing the criteria for mental health disqualifications WRT firearms ownership, submission of records, etc.

It went nowhere and the gun grabbers blamed the NRA for sinking it (in fact, the NRA had little opposition to the changes at the time).

As it turns out, it was the mental health community and professionals that blocked any changes to the current law.

I used chantix for 30 days and never did the counseling portion of it. I used it to get over the initial addiction and stopped taking it. This was 6 smoke free years ago. Ill be damned if they think im depressed because i took chantix.

MA is not going to bother to do that. Like PaulD says, we're all "marked" in this state by virtue of having a license. It's not like CT where no permit is required to own a rifle.

-Mike

From what I have been reading from CT residence have a similar form as to a MA FA-10 . I guess we will have to see if any of the " Patriots " that did not comply get a " No Knock " from the Police ?

With all this discussion of gun control and mental health issues...

I was on the commuter rail a couple of days ago. A well dressed middle aged man was having some sort of nervous break down. He was agitated and paranoid. He kept talking about how when people cough they're really just insulting you behind your back. And he was raving on about people sabotaging his career through social media. He was saying he had put up with it for too long and he wasn't going to take it anymore and the best way to make it stop was to strike back. And he went on and on and on. Lot's of f words and anger. Some of the other passengers tried to calm him down.

I felt sorry for the guy. Living with that kind of pain must suck.

But I also thought, would I feel safe if he were in possession of a gun? He didn't seem capable of making rational decisions.

So the anti-statist in me wonders who, if anyone, should be empowered to make the determination whether a person should be denied the free exercise of a fundamental civil right. At the same time, part of me was hoping that SOMEONE wasn't issuing a gun license to this guy.

That sure gives me peace of mind. I'm glad Mass holds the constitution in such high regard, they've been good about following it thus far.

Last edited:
The liberals won't be happy until they make gun ownership impossible.

Then, when the economy collapses, people won't be able to protect themselves.

It's coming, step by step and inch by inch.

Word is no more private sales, limit on purchases of # guns and amount of ammo. Some sort of liability insurance, opening of health information to Feds and Chiefs ? Stricter AW restrictions. Lets hope this rumor is only 10% true

Sent from the blind

Word is no more private sales, limit on purchases of # guns and amount of ammo. Some sort of liability insurance, opening of health information to Feds and Chiefs ? Stricter AW restrictions. Lets hope this rumor is only 10% true

Sent from the blind

How about 0%

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent from the blind

It's a crappy rumor because the liability insurance thing isn't happening. You can take that to the bank.

-Mike

Its 3rd hand so I figured it was off a little but I dont see it neing 0%...Linksy aint walking away empty handed.

Sent from the blind

Why doesn't everyone just take a deep breath, exhale slowly and wait 'til Monday before you raise your blood pressure for something that you really can't control. Enjoy Super Bowl weekend. Pray for me though because I gotta work Saturday and on Sunday from 2PM to midnight. No Super Bowl for me.

Sent from the blind

I can see them passing the one gun a month club. I can also see them trying to do something with the medical information. I also think that prebans may be a thing of the past. Out of all of these though, its the medical that scares the shit right out of me. That will pretty much mean that they can ban everyone for anything, literally, anything.

Why doesn't everyone just take a deep breath, exhale slowly and wait 'til Monday before you raise your blood pressure for something that you really can't control. Enjoy Super Bowl weekend. Pray for me though because I gotta work Saturday and on Sunday from 2PM to midnight. No Super Bowl for me.

Too late ive already gone thru 870 rounds! Must keep shooting to fight the dumbness of mass lib politicians

Sent from the blind

Its 3rd hand so I figured it was off a little but I dont see it neing 0%...Linksy aint walking away empty handed.

Linsky has no real influence here. He plops out the same turds every session and nobody supports him. Him, creem and the rest of the usuals have been more or less rolling out this same cart full of turds every year since they "took over" for Jarret Barrios. [laugh]

I'm not worried about them. I'm more concerned as to whatever Naughton produces because by the numbers, that is the only thing possibly making it to the floor for a real vote. The rest of the crap will get destroyed in committee.

-Mike

My doctor gave me wellbutrin when I quit. I was one of the lucky people who went in fine, but had the rare side effect of suicidal thoughts. It was crazy surreal/bizarre. I've never been depressed or suicidal ever in my entire life. Within two days of being on it I had thoughts of hating my life and not wanting to live. I knew it was the drug so I called the doc, we stopped it, and the side effect went away within a day. It was weird and scary though. I knew it was the drug but it made my mind race with "what if this feeling never goes away, I couldn't live if I felt like this permanently", extreme mind racing and anxiety.

It was scary to see how a drug could make you think that way.

I then continued my quit cold turkey and am almost at 5 years smoke free.

This is the real elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about. It's not the mental health issues that are the cause. Depressed people don't suddenly go on killing sprees. Autism, by many of its traits, does not cause violent tendencies. But when you put them on these barely-tested drugs with side-effects such as "suicidal thoughts and tendencies", it only makes their behavior issue worse! The common link among all mass shootings going back to Columbine is some sort of mind-altering drug. How long have depression and other mental health issues been around? Forever? Only since we have started heavily medicating the mentally ill have the shootings come about.

Maybe we start actually treating patients like people? And treat their issues with constructive therapy? Rather than just put them on meds to get them out of the office so you can bring in the next source of income?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom