Gun Violence report in the hands of DeLeo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Called Deleo's office. Gave the secretary a quick rundown of why I oppose H.4121 and she didn't seem like she was really listening but she did say "We've had a LOT of calls opposing this bill between Friday afternoon and this morning." I asked if she had any count of phone calls between those opposing and those supporting. She said no, I'd have to call the chief of staff for those #'s. Anyone have a phone #?

Hammering DeLeo is important but more important is to hammer the people that are actually voting on it, particularly any reps that you perceive as "weebly wobbly." There are a TON of these in MA. You may even find that some of these are going to come back braying about how the bill is important blah blah blah; but at least get them to concede that big chunks of this thing need to be gutted, particularly the portion that changes the statutory allowances on LTC issuance. For the lucky handful, even if you are reasonably sure your reps are a solid no vote it also helps to fire off an email/letter thanking them for their support.

-Mike

They f'd up the suicide statistic in that editorial. I have caught similar errors in other editorials, its like they just make up a number that sounds good. If you look at the MA DPH 2010 figures, 26% of successful suicides in MA by firearm for men, 7% for women. Which works out to 22% of all suicides by combining both genders. The editorial is off by 44% when they claim that 2/3 of suicides in MA are by firearm. http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/docs/dph/injury-surveillance/suicide/suicide-update-spring2013.pdf

No I suspect that statistic is correct. The rest are suicides by gender conflicted individuals. Can you imagine how frustrating life is for chicks with dicks?

Can somebody please comment on the importance, or lack thereof, of the underlined section below relating to "youthful" & "child"? I am confused by this as there is not a corresponding section for adults who commit crimes. Yet, everyone is taking this paragraph to include adult crimes.

SECTION 26. Section 131 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by striking out paragraph (d) and inserting in place thereof the following paragraph:-
(d) Any person residing or having a place of business within the jurisdiction of the licensing authority or any law enforcement officer employed by the licensing authority or any person residing in an area of exclusive federal jurisdiction located within a city or town may submit to such licensing authority or the colonel of state police, an application for a Class A or Class B license to carry firearms, or renewal of the same, which such licensing authority or said colonel may issue if it appears that the applicant is a suitable person to be issued such license, and that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property, or for any other reason, including the carrying of firearms for use in sport or targetpractice only, subject to such restrictions expressed or authorized under this section, unless the applicant:
(i) has, in any state or federal jurisdiction, been convicted or adjudicated a youthful offender or delinquent child for the commission of: (a) a felony; b) a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for more than 1 year; (c) a violent crime as defined in section 121; (d) a violation of any law regulating the use, possession, ownership, transfer, purchase, sale, lease, rental, receipt or transportation of weapons or ammunition for which a term of imprisonment may be imposed; (e) a violation of any law regulating the use, possession or sale of controlled substances as defined in section 1 of chapter 94C; or (f) a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence as that term is defined in 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(33);

Called Deleo's office. Gave the secretary a quick rundown of why I oppose H.4121 and she didn't seem like she was really listening but she did say "We've had a LOT of calls opposing this bill between Friday afternoon and this morning." I asked if she had any count of phone calls between those opposing and those supporting. She said no, I'd have to call the chief of staff for those #'s. Anyone have a phone #?

Just made my calls. Each office (my legislators, co-chairs of public safety comm. & DeLeo's office) wanted to know my name, address, Email address . . . except DeLeo's . . . they don't even want your name!! You could be from Hong Kong and it would count just as much (likely not at all). I asked her "do you need any more info from me" and her answer was "no".

Can somebody please comment on the importance, or lack thereof, of the underlined section below relating to "youthful" & "child"? I am confused by this as there is not a corresponding section for adults who commit crimes. Yet, everyone is taking this paragraph to include adult crimes.

SECTION 26. Section 131 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by striking out paragraph (d) and inserting in place thereof the following paragraph:-
(d) Any person residing or having a place of business within the jurisdiction of the licensing authority or any law enforcement officer employed by the licensing authority or any person residing in an area of exclusive federal jurisdiction located within a city or town may submit to such licensing authority or the colonel of state police, an application for a Class A or Class B license to carry firearms, or renewal of the same, which such licensing authority or said colonel may issue if it appears that the applicant is a suitable person to be issued such license, and that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property, or for any other reason, including the carrying of firearms for use in sport or targetpractice only, subject to such restrictions expressed or authorized under this section, unless the applicant:
(i) has, in any state or federal jurisdiction, been convicted or adjudicated a youthful offender or delinquent child for the commission of: (a) a felony; b) a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for more than 1 year; (c) a violent crime as defined in section 121; (d) a violation of any law regulating the use, possession, ownership, transfer, purchase, sale, lease, rental, receipt or transportation of weapons or ammunition for which a term of imprisonment may be imposed; (e) a violation of any law regulating the use, possession or sale of controlled substances as defined in section 1 of chapter 94C; or (f) a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence as that term is defined in 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(33);

It means offences committed as a juvenile will not be excluded in determining suitability. Break the law as a youth, you get the same strikes against you, that an adult would.

Youthful offences are NOT "sealed" to the authorities!

I called DeLeo's office. I'm not in his district (she does ask where you live), but she is tracking calls "for" and "against" H.4121. She told me its about 300 against, and far, far less calls "for". Even if you don't live in his district, call his office to voice your opposition to this bill ---> 617-722-2500

I just called and was not able to get a person on the phone, so I left a voice message stating my opposition to H.4121, but I'll call again later too.

I just called DeLeo's office. I didn't even get a chance to say what I was opposed to. The woman very condescendingly just said "and you're against it, right" before I could even indicate what Bill I was calling about. On one hand, this is good news that she is being swamped with calls. However, it seems unprofessional for her to assume she knew what I was going say.

I just called DeLeo's office as well, spoke to a live person who seemed to be very nice and polite. She just asked where I was from (city, not specific address) which I didn't think was an issue. She did mention that we (opposition) are vast majority of callers, yet sadly I don't think they give a shit at all.

In any even, I sat down over the weekend and emailed/faxed 50 letters to my reps. as well as the entire list of Rep.s and Senators of the Legislative Leadership and every member of Public Safety and Homeland Security committee. Each letter was both faxed and emailed.
I know most of them are not "my" Reps. but what do I care...if I can expose all of them to that and it helps - so be it. Maybe I'll fax/email to some more legislators tonight.

I just called DeLeo's office. I didn't even get a chance to say what I was opposed to. The woman very condescendingly just said "and you're against it, right" before I could even indicate what Bill I was calling about. On one hand, this is good news that she is being swamped with calls. However, it seems unprofessional for her to assume she knew what I was going say.

This is great news actually, I hope she's pissed that her phone is wringing off the hook from people who are equally mad about this legislation.

Great impetus to make more calls. Keep it up!

I hate it when people show up to 2A rallies with this on a sign.... The quote offered in this context implies that the right to keep and bear arms is "dangerous". Which it is not.

It IS dangerous. It's dangerous to criminals and politicians.

I called my legislators and was told that our side is the overwhelming majority reaching out about this bill. One of my reps is on the PS committee and said he will work toward fixing this bill with amendments, he said it's very likely the bill will pass so our best shot is trying to alter the most terrible portions.

Both my Rep and Sen are very much on our side, but we are the minority.

DeLeo is my next call, I doubt this will be as much fun as calling my reps.

I called my legislators and was told that our side is the overwhelming majority reaching out about this bill. One of my reps is on the PS committee and said he will work toward fixing this bill with amendments, he said it's very likely the bill will pass so our best shot is trying to alter the most terrible portions.

Both my Rep and Sen are very much on our side, but we are the minority.

DeLeo is my next call, I doubt this will be as much fun as calling my reps.

Sadly, this is probably true, which is why it's doubly important that we call out SPECIFIC problems with the bill. Getting the worst parts of the bill changed is probably the best we can hope for in this state.

Finally got through to Deleo's office

Lady who answer sounded quite unhappy about answering the opposition calls - I think we are taking up her day.

Once she heard the word oppose, she interupted and said she only needed my name and location. She incorrectly assumed I was a constituent of Haddad by my town and I didn't correct her as Haddad is on the bill.

This is great news actually, I hope she's pissed that her phone is wringing off the hook from people who are equally mad about this legislation.

Great impetus to make more calls. Keep it up!

I probably just spoke to the same woman. She was fine to talk to but was obviously feeling the brunt of the whole thing. She definitely listened and also said one interesting thing which was that almost all those in favor (a small minority of all calls) were women. She further said that those woman weren't very informed about the overall topic but were simply calling because they thought more gun control was good.

I also told her that my rep has always told me he's against more gun control laws in MA and that I'll be mad if DeLeo moves his office down to the basement janitor's closet. She laughed but couldn't comment further on that.

Finally, she stated that he does read his emails and that it's a good idea to follow up with one after a call.

Last edited:
Sent letters and emails to Senate leadership then to ALL of the Reps on the list. Called DeLeos office again but it took awhile to get through. Had a nice talk with the lady. Only a handful of people calling in favor of that crap bill and most housewives. I told the lady to tell the Speaker if that lady that was brutally raped in Arlington was a suppoter of his flawed bill. Thats when the call ended.

Just called my rep to voice my opposition to the bill. Then I called Deleo's office and the woman whom answered stated she'd add my call to the list of many whom called in opposition.

Just Called the speakers office - I emailed my rep last weekend and he got right back stating he's opposed in it's current form- (Josh Cutler - a Democrat) but left the door open to voting for a revised version. Thats the play right? Put a ridiculous bill out there, negotiate many of the offending points out and call it bi-partisan agreement

Just Called the speakers office - I emailed my rep last weekend and he got right back stating he's opposed in it's current form- (Josh Cutler - a Democrat) but left the door open to voting for a revised version. Thats the play right? Put a ridiculous bill out there, negotiate many of the offending points out and call it bi-partisan agreement

Umm, pretty much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. just spoke with Maddy (?), the receptionist at DeLeo's office. She was very pleasant, she did ask for my name and town. She said she was getting a ton of calls against the bill and would add my name to the list of those opposed to the bill and agreed that it wasn't going to get guns out of the hands of criminals... Called my rep too... and just sent her an email. I have a conflict tomorrow that I am trying to move, I really want to go to the hearing.

Called DeLeo's office and every one on the committee. Most don't answer the phone and your switched to voice mail. Typical Massachusetts politicians, if you disagree with them they don't want to hear it. It appears, from the few I did speak to, that the majority of calls are in opposition to the bill. Let's hope our voice is heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom