Gun Trust and SBR

racer1245

NES Member
I want to set up a trust and then create an SBR from a rifle I personally own. Do I use an FA10 to transfer ownership of my rifle to the trust?

No. There is no one to transfer to with a FA10. You can only FA10 to a LTC holder. You are the LTC holder still being on the trust.

What problem are you trying to solve?

A trust for one SBR? don't bother. Jack.
With the change that even a trust needs fingerprints I wouldn’t bother anymore. Would go the pistol route and not have to deal with any additional red tape (including interstate moving hassle)

In these "changing times", anything that you do tell the world about your firearms inventory ain't such a good idea. Best to not generate paper trails to you. Accumulate and store guns that only YOU know about. With ammo. Jack.

How does a trust work? Do all the firearms have to be in Mass compliance? Can you start one is another state and move to another? Asking for a friend. No really, A friend is moving from FL up to Mass, he has a son living up and and wants to leave his collection to his son, he should have though of this a long time ago but he is moving up for hospice care. SO the question is does he find a FFL and transfer them to his son, set up a trust with his son in it, or find a FFL in the Methuen area, sell the non-mass guns down there or list them here for the members in NH and Maine. He asked for my help but I have not dealt with a FFL for quite awhile so have no idea who to recommend.
Didn't mean to hijack the thread but I am sure good info will come out of it.

How does a trust work? Do all the firearms have to be in Mass compliance? Can you start one is another state and move to another? Asking for a friend. No really, A friend is moving from FL up to Mass, he has a son living up and and wants to leave his collection to his son, he should have though of this a long time ago but he is moving up for hospice care. SO the question is does he find a FFL and transfer them to his son, set up a trust with his son in it, or find a FFL in the Methuen area, sell the non-mass guns down there or list them here for the members in NH and Maine. He asked for my help but I have not dealt with a FFL for quite awhile so have no idea who to recommend.
Didn't mean to hijack the thread but I am sure good info will come out of it.
The law is not about the gun being compliant. The law is about possession by a non-exempt person (LEO or MA dealer) of an assault weapon. So to answer your question in the simplest way possible, you cannot possess an assault weapon IN MA.

If the guns are coming to MA and will be possessed by a non-exempt person then they need to be AWB Compliant.

As to the easiest way to transfer them, that depends. It sounds like you are describing two people that currently live in two different states so direct transfer cannot occur while he is living. The simplest thing to do (cheapest, no loss of offlist handguns) would be to have the son take possession (but not ownership) of all the guns. Have the father explicitly will the guns to his son. Then they just become his when he inherits them. He is supposed to FA10 register them all once they are his.

No FFLs needed. No issues with off list. Obviously you have to deal with post ban large capacity mags and AWs properly.

Jeff did mine for my collection, was big before the fingerprint rule.

Back
Top Bottom