gun transfers within families

If my Uncle from Maine were to give me a shotgun for free would I need to fill out an FA-10? I can only find references to purchasing them off private citizens. Thanks for the help!

What state do you live in? I don't know Maine laws, but if it's anything but Maine, you definitely need a dealer to transfer it, unless it's an inheritance. However, he can 'loan' it to you for as long as he wants. I'm not a lawyer, so this isn't legal advice. I'd check with one on whether the 'loan' thing would fly.

For starters..Do you live in Ma? The post is under MA law but I do not like to assume. Do you possess any sort of LTC/FID? What is the shotgun?

On the assumption that you live in Massachusetts (since you asked about filing an FA10) then you'll need to book the transfer through an FFL, either in Maine or Massachusetts (your choice), then file an FA10 when you bring the gun into Massachusetts.

Ken

Yeah, I'm in Mass. I've applied for an LTC-A. Its an old single shot twelve gauge. I thought there was an exception for transferring firearms within a family, but I've done more research and haven't been able to find anything. Looks like I'll have to jump through all the hoops. Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom