Gun sales to women way up in Chicago

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/women.handguns.increasing.2.1274866.html

Reporting
Pamela Jones
CHICAGO (CBS) ―

Local gun shop owners say they're seeing an increase in the number of women shoppers right now. The reasons, they say, are many, including the downturn in the economy and violence on the street.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, about 48 percent of people taking their first handgun seminars this year happen to be women. CBS 2's Pamela Jones reports on the growing trend.

"It's very dangerous out there. I mean, there's people getting robbed here and there," said Josie Santiago. "It's just for protection."

Santiago says she's always thinking about the danger lurking on the streets of the Chicago area. It's a big reason why she visited Illinois Gun Works in Elmwood Park.

Not only did she shop for a new weapon, but she also wanted to find out about taking firearms training from the pros.

"It's better that you know how to use it," Santiago said. "You know, take the class, take the course, protect yourself."

And she's not alone. A National Shooting Sports Foundation survey found that the top two reasons women seek firearms training are for personal protection and target practice.

At Illinois Gun Works, the owners say they've seen a 40 percent increase recently in the numbers of women looking to take classes, and that the number of women coming in to purchase guns is rising, too.

"A lot more. We purchased this business seven years ago, and I've noticed the increase," said Debbie Mastrianni.

"It's not so much because they're scared. I think they just want to learn about it," said Don Mastrianni.

Josie Santiago says the lessons in personal security are something she wants to pass on to other women in her family, but she wants them to learn the responsibility of being behind the trigger as well.

"If it's in the wrong hands, you know, a lot of damage can be done," Santiago said.

Santiago is taking her interest in public safety a step further now. She's going for a degree in criminal justice and eventually would like to become a police officer.

Both Illinois Gun Works and the National Shooting Sports Foundation offer classes for first-timers.

For more information, click the links below.

Good for them i hope more and more get guns to protect themselves. i am still trying to get my mother to carry.. she just moved to texas and im here now and i sure as hell wish i had mine on me.... dallas is nice but some interesting people

hahaha i bet they are... This is so wierd how polite ppl are here its insane... everyone talks nice and lets u go in traffic all sorts of nice stuff... def not like MA

Back
Top Bottom