• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun range that allows steel core?

Anyone know if there's a range in the metro west area that allows steel core ammo at their outdoor rifle range?

AFS in N.Attleboro can handle them, they wont let you shoot them because they tell me guys who cant aim down range were putting holes in the sprinklers, lol. Off the record, he told me if I could shoot straight I could fire them.

AFS in N.Attleboro can handle them, they wont let you shoot them because they tell me guys who cant aim down range were putting holes in the sprinklers, lol. Off the record, he told me if I could shoot straight I could fire them.

I've shot steel core there from my Mosin. I called ahead to ask, and they said "absolutely!"

It is an indoor range though.

Keep it away from the steel plates at Harvard (especially the 200 and 300 because I take care of those) and its not a problem

Keep it away from the steel plates at Harvard (especially the 200 and 300 because I take care of those) and its not a problem

Yep. Basically, don't cause any damage to club property or create any safety issues and all is well. I have to clean up your mess on the 100 yard range, so be nice.

Everytime i go to Manchester i get the kid asking can i check your ammo, He even checked Greek's Tula and said no you cant use it. The Magnet test isnt correct at all. Tula is Lead core. Jim says it's ok but i feel the workers need to know this. Happened 4 times

Mass rifle allows steel core.

The rule there is no armor piercing. But it has explicitly been decided by the BOD that normal steel core ammo, including 7.62x54R and 5.56 ss109 penetrator loads are ok.

Don

p.s. Mass rifle has dirt berms outside that would be unaffected by even heavy armor piercing ammo. The danger is in what it will do to overhead baffles. Indoors, we have a chopped rubber backstop that will stop anything. The indoor range could easily handle any AP ammo. But the rules are what they are.

I don't go to MFL any more. I wasted my renewed membership fee. They only started checking after I renewed my membership. Got thousands of rounds they say I can't shoot there. Tried arguing with the moron in the range. Used to be my favorite range. They really don't know what they are doing.

Everytime i go to Manchester i get the kid asking can i check your ammo, He even checked Greek's Tula and said no you cant use it. The Magnet test isnt correct at all. Tula is Lead core. Jim says it's ok but i feel the workers need to know this. Happened 4 times

A lot of Tulammo (possibly other Russian ammunition) has a bi-metal jacketed lead core. Lead core --> steel jacket --> thin copper jacket.

Just threw a magnet at my Tulammo that I bought from Wal-Fart, and it stuck very strongly.

Back
Top Bottom