Gun locks don't keep out an 11 year old...

Gunlocks are just another useless trinket that should NEVER replace good safe gunhandling, and respect for firearms.

If we didn't have the law on the books,I'd never use one.

Just like any other lock they are only made to keep honest people out, if your kid is using pliers and screwdrivers to get at your gun then there is a bigger problem then the locks not being adequate.

And now stupid ass kids can do a search online find this and know exactly what to do, real smart.[rolleyes]

In my view, these locks constitute a serious threat to the security of every child that has physical access to any weapon supposedly protected by these devices. (Responsible gun owners keep their guns in a secure gun safe with locks that cannot be opened by ball point pens or bump keys. Experts also caution that no gun should be left in a loaded condition -- obviously!)

Right. Your locked firearm is a serious threat to children everywhere! Maybe it would be better if you turned them in to the local police department. They know what to do with them.

Remember folks - never leave even one firearm loaded. It is for the children!

"...Project ChildSafe / California testing criteria could be characterized as a minimal attempt to placate manufacturers, gun owners and the public."

1. Manufacturers don't want to provide gun locks - they are forced to by laws and/or fears of lawsuits

2. There is some consumer demand, but only fueled by perceptions that gunlocks make a gun "safe" rather than a gunsafe and safety training (as noted above), and/or requirements of law in various states.

3. The Public? Maybe those that don't manufacture or own guns want those that do to lock them up. But it circles back to the anti-gun crowd aiming to lock unloaded guns in safes with gunlocks, separate from ammo - allowing the "keeping" of arms but eliminating the ability to "bear" arms in any useful way - just another step toward a ban.

Meaningless gestures are often a forced compromise in politics, but gunlocks are a counterproductive gesture, often leading to more harm than good.

Meaningless gestures are often a forced compromise in politics, but gunlocks are a counterproductive gesture, often leading to more harm than good.

+1, The only safty device worth a damn is seated squarely between your ears. Make sure everybody who will be near your firearms without your direct supervision has this device firmly engaged.

That kid is my hero - if I could publish videos to the internet when I was a kid, that would have been me!

And yeah, I agree with what you guys are saying. If I ever have kids, trigger locks will be replaced by education (proper storage is already in play).

Just like any other lock they are only made to keep honest people out, if your kid is using pliers and screwdrivers to get at your gun then there is a bigger problem then the locks not being adequate.

And now stupid ass kids can do a search online find this and know exactly what to do, real smart.[rolleyes]

What he said .................

The author of the article is a bleeping moron. If you have kids that are
resourceful enough to use hand tools or a bump key, then you will have
bigger problems regardless... you can put the biggest badass lock on
there, but then the kid will just chuck that SOB into daddy's drill press and
rip it apart anyways. None of the gun locks on the market, IMO, were
designed to do anything other than satisfy some poorly conceived
laws. I think the reason they are the way they are is because the people
buying them want to keep the costs down, because any gun owner
that is beyond a fudd just throws them away anyways or throws it into the
junk drawer. IMO the locks are no substitute for education (most
important) or "harder" security like a safe or another kind of container.

-Mike

any gun owner
junk drawer.

Dear me; someone is being Politically Incorrect.

The term "Fudd" has been deemed pejorative. The new term is:

Politically inert, unaware and naive, long-arm traditionalists.

I understand they have formed their own gun lobby:

Woodsmen
Interested
Mainly in
Protecting
Shotguns

[devil]

I think the reason they are the way they are is because the people
junk drawer.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with a drawer full of gun locks. :)

Seriously I think I've only used the darn things twice.

Dear me; someone is being Politically Incorrect.

The term "Fudd" has been deemed pejorative. The new term is:

Politically inert, unaware and naive, long-arm traditionalists.

I understand they have formed their own gun lobby:

Woodsmen
Interested
Mainly in
Protecting
Shotguns

[devil]

Divide and conquer. It is a magnificent strategy!

So it's an even better strategy to make that divide bigger?

All the Fudd nonsense is doing exactly what the "Fudds" are being accused of.... [angry] Dividing gun owners!!!

Well, I've only been shooting for 31 years . . . and I've seen it up real close and personal (I used to shoot skeet/trap with them weekly). When Ch. 180 was passed in 1998, club officers and BOD members wouldn't believe that it would ever affect us . . . I had enough of it finally (after 24 years) and quit that club.

It's like Ken Maurer said recently, it's like teaching a pig to sing . . . all you do is annoy the pig and waste your time!

Making believe that this divide doesn't exist will do nothing for the cause! They have and will continue to sell us down the river at every chance they get.

Well, I've only been shooting for 31 years . . . and I've seen it up real close and personal (I used to shoot skeet/trap with them weekly). When Ch. 180 was passed in 1998, club officers and BOD members wouldn't believe that it would ever affect us . . . I had enough of it finally (after 24 years) and quit that club.

It's like Ken Maurer said recently, it's like teaching a pig to sing . . . all you do is annoy the pig and waste your time!

Making believe that this divide doesn't exist will do nothing for the cause! They have and will continue to sell us down the river at every chance they get.

And furthering the divide by lumping all into "Fudds" helps the cause how?

Originally Posted by drgrant
I think the reason they are the way they are is because the people
junk drawer.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with a drawer full of gun locks. :)

Seriously I think I've only used the darn things twice.

I can't believe anyone would ignore safety by just throwing these into a drawer. [wink] I personally have a hook on the pegboard in my safe where they all hang in limbo indefinitely, unable to bring harm to anyone. I thought about selling them on ebay but the $1 or so they would fetch hardly seems worth the effort.

Really?

And who, pray tell, have the "terrorist rifle" and pistol owners whored out? [flame]

First of all, who said they "whored out" anyone? [rolleyes]

And what does that have to do with the fact that divided gun owners are less effective politically than a united group?

Look, I agree that there are some in the hunting community that don't get it, and all they care about is their shotgun. However, I strongly believe they are in the minority. In my experience as a hunter, whether it be in hunting camps, or at DU, RGS, Pheasants Forever, or HRC events for the past 30+ years, I can honestly say that the VAST majority of folks I have encountered there are FIRM supporters of the 2nd amendment. Not just shotgun or hunting rifles. The second amendment. Period.

I hunt. Many of my friends and family hunt. All of them stand firmly for ALL gun rights. To lump hunters as Fudds is plain wrong, and is PRECISELY what the antis want. Ridiculing and name calling is not exactly the best way to win friends and influence people. Especially the people that we most need to become enlightened and truly on our side.

Back
Top Bottom