Gun Degreaser

So, I was curious what other people use as Gun Degreaser. I stopped at DSG today and was going to buy some Birchwood Casey but its like 16 dollars a can. My farther has used brake cleaner for years, and says it works the best. What works for you?

Simple green and a toothbrush. Gunscrubber/brake cleaner works great, but its gotten pricey, doesnt last very long, and is very dangerous if used on the wrong finish/ material.

One of the motorcycle mags had an article about a guy who was almost killed using brake cleaner as a degreaer. The guy used it to clean a section of metal he was welding. When he started to weld the brake cleaner iginited and let off a cloud of what turned out to be a gas The inhalation of this almost killed the guy.

One of the motorcycle mags had an article about a guy who was almost killed using brake cleaner as a degreaer. The guy used it to clean a section of metal he was welding. When he started to weld the brake cleaner iginited and let off a cloud of what turned out to be a gas The inhalation of this almost killed the guy.

By the brake cleaner that says it has no chlorine.

Ill secound simple green. I always find myself going back to it. For small quick jobs I will use break clean.
Simple green, dry then CLP.

I use either brake cleaner or carb/choke cleaner. The difference between the two is that carb cleaner leaves a small amount of lubricant behind. I try to avoid the expensive gun cleaners and lubricants unless they are absolutely necessary. I don't mind spending $ on bore cleaners, but everything else can be done with less expensive products. Synthetic motor oil is just as good as any of the gun lubes on the market and costs much less, and, obviously, brake cleaner is a lot cheaper than the Birchwood Casey miracle product.

PS I have an ammo can half filled with mineral spirits that I use for big jobs like frames and slides. I soak these large parts for a while and scrub them with a tooth brush. It doesn't take much to remove dirt, grease and powder residue, so inexpensive cleaners such as mineral spirits work very well. I save the expensive cleaners for the bore where they are necessary.

Shooters Choice non-aerosol spray action cleaner can does a good job and goes a long way. It doesn't work as good as gun scrubber. I like the idea of trying simple green, I'm giving that a shot (no pin intended) too.

One thing to consider with Simple Green is that it can corrode aluminum. You might want to track down their formula for aircraft or possibly use an orange based degreaser.

http://www.simplegreen.com/solutions_faqs.php?search_query=aluminum&search=Search

Admittedly though, it takes Simple Green a long time to corrode aluminum and even then, only if the aluminum is bare. Anodized aluminum should be fine.

Non-chlorinated brake clean evaporates alot quicker than chlorinated but is very flammable.Brake clean can also cause plastic parts to become brittle.
I prefer CRC or equivalent electronic cleaner(aerosol spray like brake clean).Works well for cleaning and prep and safe for delicate parts.

I keep hearing good things about Simple Green. My problem is that I just can't accept using water based cleaners on metal. Maybe I'll get over it.

for routine cleaning of pistols and revolvers i use Hoppes with a pistol
brush. i put all of the parts in a small cardboard box lined with paper towels
and take it outside, a little gun scrubber to remove the residue and your
good to go.

a 26oz can lasts a long time with this method. i like the pressure.

Last edited:
I use Mpro7. Non flammable and non toxic...awesome stuff.

Beware chlorinated hydrocarbons like brake cleaner, gunscrubber, TCE, etc. While an excellent solvent, it is really nasty stuff. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation (like outside) and something to catch or absorb the excess.

Back
Top Bottom