Gun Confiscation Coming in Virginia

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
RaLlIeS dOnT dO nOtHiNg!!!
Ignoring the obvious sarcasm in your post

It shows that rallies/events at capitols can/are effective when pols are actually there.......

Weekend/other events are like the proverbial....."when a tree falls in the woods does it make a noise"?....yea but who cares.....

So....reminder to all NH folks.....show up tomorrow to the hearing tomorrow unless you want a lot of property....including possibly your own to be banned from shooting/hunting legally

Hearing is tomorrow tues 02/18/2020 11:00 am LOB 301

If you cant be there then send written/email testimony.....see thread below for details....email for cmte is in post 8

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thank God!!!

“Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam’s push to ban the sale of assault weapons failed on Monday after some of his fellow Democrats balked at the proposal.

Senators voted to shelve the bill for the year and ask the state crime commission to study the issue, an outcome that drew cheers from a committee room packed with gun advocates.

Four moderate Democrats joined Republicans in Monday’s committee vote, rejecting legislation that would have prohibited the sale of certain semiautomatic firearms, including popular AR-15 style rifles, and banned the possession of magazines that hold more than 12 rounds.”
Good news for sure.
Now the question is ....Who is up for election this cycle and what are the voters going to do about it?

Bob

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Good news for sure.
Now the question is ....Who is up for election this cycle and what are the voters going to do about it?

Bob
House of delegates is a 2 year term and its the next election to occur......the entire house was up for election in 2019......so they're not up for grabs until fall of 2021......northam and the senate are further out a couple years

minininjer

NES Door Greeter
NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You keeping track of whats passed/been defeated somewhere?
No, I'm not. I'm just looking it up as I go but it's a good idea to keep a spreadsheet or something for my own reference. I don't understand how anyone could keep track of all this crap without the internet. Their (gov) websites are not really user friendly at all and I am no computer n00b.

minininjer

NES Door Greeter
NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was surprised to see that there were 4 Senators who voted with Republicans... I thought it was 2, last I heard anyway.

They were moderate Democrats. I just want to say that... you (I, we) may be better off trying to talk sense / convince those who are on the fence on topics dear to our hearts. I wouldn't say it's a lost cause talking to someone who is extremely anti but it's a lot more difficult, to say the least. I did talk to my Senator (who is super Democrat) and I can at least just say I tried my best there. In this case of the AWB, we were able to (hopefully?) sway the moderates into siding with us.

This tactic, I think, is good for people like your anti-gun friends, family, or coworkers (though, I'm not sure I would want to involve coworkers but to each their own on that situation). The most impact you're going to have is to invite someone out to the range for a day. Find someone who is half willing to listen to you and show them the way. They might just be like "hey, that wasn't that bad after all."

jdgill

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Nice job. I'm kind of curious about how many of them did it for the constitution as opposed to being scared they would lose their position in office. Either way, all of you made a difference with the show of people who had enough.👍
Let me go way out on a limb and suggest ALL of them were afraid of losing their position, that's why they voted that way.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Let me go way out on a limb and suggest ALL of them were afraid of losing their position, that's why they voted that way.
This is what happens when people show up at hearings/make their opposition to dumb legislation heard,......

Folks in NH just need to show up/participate

minininjer

NES Door Greeter
NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
very glad to hear Lord Northam’s AWB is on hold. hopefully it goes in recycling bin where belongs.

@minininjer or others, could you summarize what legislation remains in play?
Once I figure that out... I'll make a post.

As I mentioned in my other post, the website is shit and it's so hard to keep track of everything. There definitely have been other antigun bills that passed but they aren't as detrimental as the AWB (HB 961) so that was the main focus of everyone (not to say the others aren't bad but you get my drift). There was one that will take away online/video courses from NRA / state certified instructors. So you'll have to do in person training in order to get your CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit). Not sure when that goes into effect. I think another is the one handgun a month purchase is back... but CHP holders are exempt.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Once I figure that out... I'll make a post.

As I mentioned in my other post, the website is shit and it's so hard to keep track of everything. There definitely have been other antigun bills that passed but they aren't as detrimental as the AWB (HB 961) so that was the main focus of everyone (not to say the others aren't bad but you get my drift). There was one that will take away online/video courses from NRA / state certified instructors. So you'll have to do in person training in order to get your CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit). Not sure when that goes into effect. I think another is the one handgun a month purchase is back... but CHP holders are exempt.
Do you know if they repealed reciprocity with other states?

scatter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
No, I'm not. I'm just looking it up as I go but it's a good idea to keep a spreadsheet or something for my own reference. I don't understand how anyone could keep track of all this crap without the internet. Their (gov) websites are not really user friendly at all and I am no computer n00b.
Let me take a stab at the current status. These are the VA bills that are designated "pending" as of today. All others have either been voted down or left in committee:

HB 2 requires background checks for all transfers, with enough exceptions (including gun shows) that I can't see why it even matters. Referred to Senate Judiciary Committee on 1/21/2020
HB 9 requires that lost or stolen firearms be reported. Referred to Senate Judiciary Committee on 1/31/2020
HB 421 gives localities the authority to go above and beyond state law to limit possession, carrying, etc. of firearms. Referred to Senate Judiciary Committee on 1/31/2020
HB 674 is the "red flag law." Referred to Senate Judiciary Committee on 1/31/2020
HB 1288 basically prohibits people convicted of domestic crimes or "hate crimes" (my words) from possessing firearms. Referred to Senate Judiciary Committee on 2/12/2020

This is based on a VERY QUICK search of the VA Legislature website, which as minininjer said, is pathetic. I welcome corrections and additions. Just trying to get something out there for scrutiny.

But all you VA residents should all be glad to know that one of the pending bills being debated by our legislature, at our expense, is to repeal the current ban on spitting in public. Yay.

CatSnoutSoup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say it's a lost cause talking to someone who is extremely anti but it's a lot more difficult, to say the least. I did talk to my Senator (who is super Democrat) and I can at least just say I tried my best there.
I suggest maybe you follow up with a strongly worded "Thank you for meeting me and then promptly ignoring me" card. These folks should not be allowed an unchallenged self-image as heroes of the people.

🐯

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You'll still need to watch the sneaky bastards like a hawk.
NY passed the Unsafe act in the middle of the night in an "Emergency " session IIRC.
NY also didnt have 35,000 armed protesters show up in Albany to "encourage" pols to do the right thing.......

Dont underestimate the power a pile of people showing up at hearings/writing/calling etc....on the outcome of dumb legislation

But you are correct......never trust dems with your rights

TrashcanDan

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
They should be.
Not necessarily the same as whats going on in VA, but the end result is there-
For the t.l.d.r.- everyone in a political position that supported that tax increase, was systematically voted out.

DarthRevan

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I was surprised to see that there were 4 Senators who voted with Republicans... I thought it was 2, last I heard anyway.

They were moderate Democrats. I just want to say that... you (I, we) may be better off trying to talk sense / convince those who are on the fence on topics dear to our hearts. I wouldn't say it's a lost cause talking to someone who is extremely anti but it's a lot more difficult, to say the least. I did talk to my Senator (who is super Democrat) and I can at least just say I tried my best there. In this case of the AWB, we were able to (hopefully?) sway the moderates into siding with us.

This tactic, I think, is good for people like your anti-gun friends, family, or coworkers (though, I'm not sure I would want to involve coworkers but to each their own on that situation). The most impact you're going to have is to invite someone out to the range for a day. Find someone who is half willing to listen to you and show them the way. They might just be like "hey, that wasn't that bad after all."
While I would agree, to do that is a full time job. You're spending your time trying desperately to get people to overcome their biases to even get to a point of rational discussions about it. I hate to admit it but I have been guilty this past year of having been fairly apathetic with all the bullshit we face in MA. It's not easy being 100% invested all the time.
Luckily for me my old college club is having it's revival with a whole new crop of students into the gun scene and it's rejuvenating.

minininjer

NES Door Greeter
NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While I would agree, to do that is a full time job. You're spending your time trying desperately to get people to overcome their biases to even get to a point of rational discussions about it. I hate to admit it but I have been guilty this past year of having been fairly apathetic with all the bullshit we face in MA. It's not easy being 100% invested all the time.
Luckily for me my old college club is having it's revival with a whole new crop of students into the gun scene and it's rejuvenating.
While you’re at least somewhat right... I just mean... people who are either on the fence or are ignorant about it and don’t have a say either way. You don’t need to spend 100% of your free time. Any time is better than no time.

I didn’t grow up anti or pro. I wasn’t specifically told guns are bad or guns are good. I saw what I saw on TV. I started playing video games at a very young age. When I was old enough to have money to buy my own games (high school), I was often playing violent, shooting games. I had no opinions at all on real guns. I didn’t even know really that I could own a gun. Being young (ignorant?) may have contributed. Years ago, I had the opportunity to shoot, I said yes. I shot and said “hey, that was fun! Can I do it again?” And here I am.

DarthRevan

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
While you’re at least somewhat right... I just mean... people who are either on the fence or are ignorant about it and don’t have a say either way. You don’t need to spend 100% of your free time. Any time is better than no time.

I didn’t grow up anti or pro. I wasn’t specifically told guns are bad or guns are good. I saw what I saw on TV. I started playing video games at a very young age. When I was old enough to have money to buy my own games (high school), I was often playing violent, shooting games. I had no opinions at all on real guns. I didn’t even know really that I could own a gun. Being young (ignorant?) may have contributed. Years ago, I had the opportunity to shoot, I said yes. I shot and said “hey, that was fun! Can I do it again?” And here I am.
Literally, same.

DarthRevan

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This will come back in a year or unfortunately when they cause something tragic happens so they can get strong support of emotional people.

FIFY
I hate thinking with such a thick layer of tinfoil on, but there is probably an unstable person online getting groomed to die to push their cause.

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Virginia lawmaker: Man with assault rifle tried to coerce me at my home | WTOP
Nope.
Del. Mark Levine, D-Alexandria, said an armed man stood outside his kitchen window in an effort to coerce him to change his vote.

“On Saturday, a man with a large assault weapon with a large extended magazine came to my home. He stood outside my kitchen window for a couple of hours or so,” Levine said Monday on the Virginia House floor.
"Large assault weapon" and "large extended magazine" so there was compound largeness.
Alexandria police Lt. Courtney Ballentine confirmed that officers responded to Levine’s home Saturday and said the unnamed man was not trespassing on Levine’s property.

scatter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Let me take a stab at the current status. These are the VA bills that are designated "pending" as of today. All others have either been voted down or left in committee:

HB 2 requires background checks for all transfers, with enough exceptions (including gun shows) that I can't see why it even matters. Referred to Senate Judiciary Committee on 1/21/2020
HB 9 requires that lost or stolen firearms be reported. Referred to Senate Judiciary Committee on 1/31/2020
HB 421 gives localities the authority to go above and beyond state law to limit possession, carrying, etc. of firearms. Referred to Senate Judiciary Committee on 1/31/2020
HB 674 is the "red flag law." Referred to Senate Judiciary Committee on 1/31/2020
HB 1288 basically prohibits people convicted of domestic crimes or "hate crimes" (my words) from possessing firearms. Referred to Senate Judiciary Committee on 2/12/2020

This is based on a VERY QUICK search of the VA Legislature website, which as minininjer said, is pathetic. I welcome corrections and additions. Just trying to get something out there for scrutiny.

But all you VA residents should all be glad to know that one of the pending bills being debated by our legislature, at our expense, is to repeal the current ban on spitting in public. Yay.
Here is an update to the current status of VA proposed anti laws. I didn't include Senate bills in the previous version. These statuses are current as of today but I cannot say that I've caught every single bill in process that might affect the 2A (VA Legislature site still sucks).

HB 2 requires background checks for all transfers, with enough exceptions (including gun shows) that I can't see why it even matters. Passed House, Referred to Senate Judiciary Committee on 1/31/2020
HB 9 requires that lost or stolen firearms be reported. Passed House. Referred to Senate Judiciary Committee on 1/31/2020
HB 421 gives localities the authority to go above and beyond state law to limit possession, carrying, etc. of firearms. Passed House. Referred to Senate Judiciary Committee on 1/31/2020
HB 674 is the "red flag law." Passed House. Referred to Senate Judiciary Committee on 1/31/2020
HB 1288 basically prohibits people convicted of domestic crimes or "hate crimes" (my words) from possessing firearms. Passed House, Referred to Senate Judiciary Committee on 2/12/2020

SB 14 Prohibits bump stocks and the like. Passed Senate. Referred to House Committee on Public Safety 2/18/2020
SB 35 gives localities authority to limit possession, carrying etc. Pretty much the same as HB 421. Passed Senate on 1/16/2020
SB 64 Prohibits brandishing a firearm or anything the looks like one while assembled with one or more other people with the intent of intimidation. Passed Senate; referred to House Committee for Courts of Justice on 2/12/2020
SB 69 One handgun purchase per month. Exceptions include CCW permit holders. Passed Senate; 2nd House reading was today 2/18/2020
SB 70 requires background checks for all transfers, including gun shows. Passed Senate; referred to House Committee on Public Safety 2/13/2020
SB 240 Red Flag law. Passed Senate. Referred to House Committee on Public Safety 2/13/2020

Last edited:

Dadstoys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nope.

"Large assault weapon" and "large extended magazine" so there was compound largeness.
This really isn't all that complicated.
Follow the constitution and don't try and make criminals out of people that have never done a wrong thing in their lives.
It really upsets them to be attacked for no other reason than they aren't voting for you.
And that's what it boils down to , punishment for a differing point of view.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Nope.

leftist gun ban pol said:
In wrapping up his speech to colleagues, Levine said he welcomes any discussion, protest or act of civil disobedience from those with an opposing viewpoint.

“What’s not appropriate is to come to my house with a loaded gun to coerce me to change my position on a bill,” Levine said. He continued, raising his voice, “That will not work, that will never work with me. And I suggest it will never work with any member of this body. Don’t do it.”
Translation.....protest/civd etc are ok....so long as he doesnt have to see/hear/pay attention to the oppositions message.....typical dem

Top Bottom