Gun Clubs?

Shirley Rod and Gun may be close enough also.

Shirley? You're Joking...

Sorry I couldn't resist. I'm mostly looking to do some target shooting, I've never really done any hunting. I don't own anything yet, but once I get the LTC squared away, I'll start looking.

I'll take a look at Westford, I think its the closest to where we live. Thanks!

Matt

So my next question is this... Most of these places require a sponsor, in some cases 2, right? So how do you get someone to sponsor you? Do you have to become a member to use to ranges? This is all kinda new to me, so I'm a little confused...

M

Sorry did not realize 15 miles or 20-25 minutes would be too far to travel for you...did not realize you also needed your drivers license and would be riding a bike there. :p

I think you missed the Airplane humor.

Yes most clubs require you to have a sponsor or 2, though at most clubs that isn't an issue. The membership committee meeting is on the 21'st of this month. If you show up before, I'm sure you could find at least 2 people who will sponsor your membership.

Don't sweat the sponsorship issue. Just show up prior to the meeting, introduce yourself to the club leadership and chat. They'll most likely sponsor you on the spot.

I think you missed the Airplane humor.

Yes that I did - pulling foot from mouth. I apologize for my quick and foolish reply.
Back on topic:

I agree on the sponsership - just get to the club and you will find most clubs are more then happy to accept new members and you will find sponsership by just visiting the club. Best of luck with your search XTAV750.

+1 on Westford. Great club and a great group of people. If it's the closest club to where you live, it's a no brainer. The only clubs I know of with more facilities in reasonable distance are Harvard (action pits, 200/300 yd range, class 3 range) and Mass Rifle (indoor 25yd rifle range).

Like Adam said, show up for the membership committee meeting on the 21st at 7pm. If you want to see the facilities, the club is open to the public for Trap at 1PM on Sundays. Also, there's usually a group of us there shooting handguns at 1PM Sunday also. If you send me a PM some Sunday to make sure I'll be there, I'd be happy to show you around.

So my next question is this... Most of these places require a sponsor, in some cases 2, right? So how do you get someone to sponsor you? Do you have to become a member to use to ranges? This is all kinda new to me, so I'm a little confused...

M

Westford requires 2 sponsors, but it's pretty much pro forma. You have to be a member or a guest of a member to use any of the facilities with a couple of exceptions. Trap is open to the public on Sundays at 1pm, and Sporting Clays on Saturday mornings at 9:30. Either Jim Conway or I are usually at the pistol range Sunday afternoons in case you're interested in being a guest. If you just want to stop by and take a look around some other time, give me a PM. The next meeting for people who are interested in joining is at 7pm, Monday evening, April 21st.

Ken

Sorry did not realize 15 miles or 20-25 minutes would be too far to travel for you...did not realize you also needed your drivers license and would be riding a bike there. :p

No no no, from "Airplane"... "I'm not joking, and don't call me Shirley." I was watching it yesterday.... Bad joke, sorry [grin]

Thanks for the input guys. Westford seems like a good choice. I'm putting in my LTC app on the 21st after I take this safety course, so maybe I'll come by then. I'm not sure how long it'll take to get an answer from the PD. Do I need to have the LTC first?

Matt

Last edited:
No no no, from "Airplane"... "I'm not joking, and don't call me Shirley." I was watching it yesterday.... Bad joke, sorry [grin]

Don't apologize - I should have caught the Airplane reference :)

You know its all fun and games until an internet post is misunderstood.

Back
Top Bottom