Gun care in a coastal climate

Hello All,

I am moving from Michigan to Portland ME and am curious if I should take extra steps to prepare for the coastal climate. Currently in MI I simply store my weapons in a closet. I am wondering if that will suffice in Portland or if I should take other measures to counteract the humidity and salt air. Possibly a goldenrod dehumidifier, although I am rather hesitant to have a constantly running heat source in a closet.

I do not have a safe nor will be acquiring one anytime soon, for now everything stays in the closet.

What do you guys think?

At least a goldenrod. I've got one running in my safes. They each sit on top of the safe carpet. The oldest one has been running 24x7 for the last 15 years.

Thanks for the advice! Initially I was thinking that normal care would be all that is required although it is better to be safe than sorry.

I live right on the coast of Maine (50 yards away). I keep most of my firearms in a gun cabinet (I wish I had a safe) with a normal light coat of oil and they usually are fine. I also have some under my bed in gun cases that I worry about more but, most of the time, they are fine too. That said, I have had guns show rust starting to develop if I didn't pay attention to them for too long. If you check them out and re-oil (try not to touch the metal with your hands) at least a few(3) times a year, you should be all right.

Up here in the notheast it gets humid, so you need some type of dehumidifier. When I visited NC Outerbanks I almost sh*t myself when I onened my gun case. I imediately cleaned and drowned them in CLP.

what does

Maine law require for safe keeping of your firearms.... i would at least
have a lockable metal cabinet. Stack on ain't the best but at least
its lockable.

JimB

A closed locking cabinet or safe that limits circulation is a good idea. Add a VpCI* emitter in there with the goldenrod and you should be set. That and general good care with wiping down before putting away.

* - Vapor phase corrosion inhibitor, for example a Bullfrog brand emitter (made by Cortec, the company that makes most of the "VCI paper" out there used to wrap firearms nowadays from the factory instead of heavy coats of oil)

I don't believe there are Maine laws for safe storage although I remember an attempt to make you liable if a child gets hurt/killed with your firearm. I don't know the result of that but for the most part, Maine is easy going towards gun laws..so far.

Depending on the weapons you have, but remember that average weapons are not like cars that need different paint, oil, etc in order to acclimate for the city you are on. Weapons are more like humans and they adapt to all conditions as long as you take normal care of them.

Ish.

Back
Top Bottom