Gun "BuybacK" Program Fails To Pay As Promised

grrr dang dns keeps giving me page load errors or some stupid search engine thing....

Let me guess, they don't give money or less than stated but steal the peoples property?

EDIT; now it worked.

Sucks that they ran out of money, that means more people brought guns in. and some of those guns look more valuable than $200.... I hope they were all non-functional.

I like these programs since they do get the guns out of peoples hands that don't want them. I wish though they would pay the fair market price for the gun being turned in.

That table is filled with guns that are looking NEW! somone obviously bought them, cared for them, stored properly. At what point did they become an illegal gun that was worth $200? People are being cheated.

Then there is the part of what next after the buyback is over... The cops obviously sort through them and take what they want.

My hope would be that they catalog them, test fire a round for the bullet match and then see if they might be able to solve some of the open cases.
Then they should be offered to the public in an auction like other property.

I'm pretty sure they do check them all to see if they might fit any cases. After that, I imagine it would vary on department policy. Some PDs probably let officers get a crack at them, then sell the rest to dealers, while others might melt them down.

The poll questions the paper had with the article were kind of funny:

T-shirt: "I gave my guns to Suffolk police and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."

"Get out of jail free card."

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis. "

"Bumper sticker: "I have no illegal guns left."

You know, I always wanted to go to one of these "gun buy-back programs" and setup a desk in front of the cops with a sign that says: $210 for your guns.

I think it's $200 for handguns only.

Anyone for a group buy for Lorcins, Ravens, and Jennings? Should easily be able to turn a profit [smile]

I'm fairly surprised that none of the vehement 'Revolution is around the corner' guys are not venomously opposing these buyback programs on the grounds that more arms on the ground keep the powers of the state in check.

People are free to do with their guns as they wish, even selling them to the government. I just hope the government is fiscally responsible and turns around the ones that are worth the trouble.

People aren't being scammed, they're willingly selling these firearms. Anyone can go online and quickly find out the rough market price for their firearm.

I'm fairly surprised that none of the vehement 'Revolution is around the corner' guys are not venomously opposing these buyback programs on the grounds that more arms on the ground keep the powers of the state in check.

I oppose them, namely on the grounds that they're statistically insignificant in terms of reducing crime (AFAIK).

But I also oppose coercing people to dispose of their property against their wishes. In other words: It's your gun, let the government steal it from you if you wish; I wouldn't, but then again, I'm not you! [wink]

"A 42-year-old Port Jefferson Station woman, who asked that her name not be used for fear of repercussions, said she turned in seven illegal guns that had belonged to her father, who passed away 13 years ago. She said she balked when she was asked for her name and phone number."

"How is that anonymous?" she asked. "Anonymous is not 'Give us your name and number and in two weeks you'll get your gift card.' "
----------------------------------------
Such bullshit! Theres no way they didn't retain her information for other purposes.....NO WAY. Just like there's not supposed to be any registration of guns.....another bullshit lie.

I'd have said, you hold my card here in an envelope marked "360" and I'll call you and be back for it in a couple of weeks.

EDIT: Not that I would ever participate in such insanity.

I oppose them, namely on the grounds that they're statistically insignificant in terms of reducing crime (AFAIK).

But I also oppose coercing people to dispose of their property against their wishes. In other words: It's your gun, let the government steal it from you if you wish; I wouldn't, but then again, I'm not you! [wink]

I oppose them if our tax dollars are being used to buy back these guns. If they're running solely on donations, then I have no problem with it. It's an easy way for people who ended up with guns somehow and don't want them, yet don't know how to sell them to get rid of them.

Also I have a POS pistol that I probably couldn't give away for free... if my town did a $200 buyback I'd be jumping for joy.

I oppose them if our tax dollars are being used to buy back these guns. If they're running solely on donations, then I have no problem with it. It's an easy way for people who ended up with guns somehow and don't want them, yet don't know how to sell them to get rid of them.

Also I have a POS pistol that I probably couldn't give away for free... if my town did a $200 buyback I'd be jumping for joy.

Good observation. Those $200 gift cards are ostensibly paid for by our property tax.

They have to get their "throwdown" pieces from somewhere, right? [wink]

When I was a kid there was a cop who would "confiscate" weed from the dealers and he would give it to his kid to sell/smoke. Eventually he was caught and fired (I wonder why they didn't toss a RICO conviction his way...), but I have to imagine for those willing to do it, they would get their guns from confiscations where there was no likelihood of tracing them.

"A 42-year-old Port Jefferson Station woman, who asked that her name not be used for fear of repercussions, said she turned in seven illegal guns that had belonged to her father, who passed away 13 years ago. She said she balked when she was asked for her name and phone number."

5 bucks says all of the guns her father owned were legally registered to him and she just assumed they were illegal.

What kind of stupid 42 year old lady takes her late father's guns and turns them in at a gun buy back?

A) disrespectful to your late father,
B) could have sold them for a hell of a lot more than a stupid visa gift card.

I imagine I'll have a pretty decent sized collection by the time I die. I'll have to set up a trust of some sort so that my offspring can't do something stupid like that ...

What kind of stupid 42 year old lady takes her late father's guns and turns them in at a gun buy back?

A) disrespectful to your late father,
B) could have sold them for a hell of a lot more than a stupid visa gift card.

I imagine I'll have a pretty decent sized collection by the time I die. I'll have to set up a trust of some sort so that my offspring can't do something stupid like that ...

Feel free to give them to me [smile]

gun confiscation

what do they mean by "buy back"the police never owned them.
most of this is a scam.people could sell them to dealers,the powers that be dont want that.Ashland had a "buy back"and some MAC90 and 10/22s were salted by ATF.Brockton had one and I saw colts rugers and other expensive guns for $50 gift certificate.
police could go to 1010 com and for $10 get a pistol.I have seen a retired state trooper with a gift from there S&W M&P with holster.and some others.
I once bought a tool box full of pistols a retired Leo had confiscated in charlestown.there all dead Leos sooo.some police I respect but very few.

Back
Top Bottom