1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Moderator, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Masswhole

Masswhole NES Member

Completely new to guns with no connections at PD.
    He owns a contracting biz (like me, but mine still took 8 weeks in another green town) so maybe that helped.

2. LT1MCSS

LT1MCSS

Danvers should probably be switched to Green. They were bad for a while but in recent years things seem to have changed. I know multiple first timers who have gotten unrestricted licenses in Danvers in without issue.

3. Scotia902

Scotia902

my gf and I both applied for an unrestricted in boxborough both were approved. The Sargents we worked with both made the process painless. Process was 6 weeks total

4. crispnipz

crispnipz

Well, just over 8 weeks to the day and I've got my LTC-A in-hand from Medford...with Target and Hunting as a restriction, as promised by the licensing officer. If anything, they were honest about the timing and restriction.

Anyone have recommendations for how to nix the BS restriction? Should I go straight to Comm2A? Should I try to talk man-to-man to the chief first?

5. bostonasphalt2

bostonasphalt2

efforts to get rid of a restriction typically would have been better served working to avoid getting one in the first place.

6. crispnipz

crispnipz

7. bostonasphalt2

bostonasphalt2

Not what you asked, but still relevant. If I knew ahead of time that I was going to get restrictions if I applied, I would be holding off on applying and determining if there is anything I can do to dodge getting restrictions when I do apply. After the fact is a hell of a lot harder.

8. whacko

whacko

Haverhill MA.....renewal......called April 26 for an appointment.....left message.....det Corthell called me back next day with an apt of may 2. Spent 15 minutes shooting the breeze with him while he processed the documents......today is June 5 my new unrestrictes license is in.

Haverhill.....still green everyone.

9. PaulR

PaulR NES Member

Hadley MA renewal:
    Applied May 11th (with a load of other people/women whom I would never thought carry)
    Received June 3.
    ~23 days, unrestricted. [smile]

10. slap shot

slap shot NES Member

Any special instructions for Haverhill? I see it's green but asking for a very noob co worker and i'd like to give him good advice.

thanks in advance

11. devldog131

devldog131

Was just talking to somebody here in Haverhill who went through it in March. He says the chief is making Det. Corthell issue sporting restrictions for new licenses. The good detective told him to call back in a year and he'll have it removed.

This is a bit disappointing. I went through it last year in Haverhill and got my unrestricted LTC with no questions asked.

Sounds like Haverhill is becoming a little less green.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  12. slap shot

slap shot NES Member

thanks for the info and yes, that does suck.

13. DecOFlaherty

DecOFlaherty NES Member

What's with the yellow Newton?

14. Alex9661

Alex9661 NES Member

We're so special that we have our own color.

On a serious note, it looks like new applicants get T&H that can be easily upgrades to unrestricted in a year or so.

15. Pilgrims Pride

Pilgrims Pride

How long is it taking to renew in Plymouth these days?

Appointment was 5/16. Still waiting

16. TC204

TC204

Too bad the Plymouth County Sheriff doesn't control that, I heard the Chief isn't Pro 2nd A.

17. samuelcruz

samuelcruz

So class A can open carry them? Is there any lawful permit for it?

18. kalash

kalash

Huh? Yes, open carry is legal in MA with an LTC, if that's what you're asking.

19. 42!

42! NES Life Member NES Member

IANAL
    There no longer is a class A or B, so they are all class A. As Kalash said, you can open carry, UNLESS you have restrictions. For example if you are restricted to hunting/target use only, you can NOT carry open or concealed.

And depending on your chief and where you open carry you could find yourself deemed unsuitable very quickly.

20. boiler_eng

boiler_eng

I can confirm whacko's assertion that renewals are a breeze and the detective is a good guy. However I am a little concerned to hear about new licenses being restricted. Also, I know that in the past year they are requiring letters of reference from applicants (both new and renewal).

Any thoughts on what one can do to push back against this? I wasn't about to start in on it with the Detective as it was clear it wasn't his decision and I can relate to dealing with BS that the boss is pushing. However I own property in the city, I pay my taxes, so if I think something is wrong it is my right to push back on it.

21. milktree

milktree NES Member

Corrections:

There are still class Bs out there, but there aren't any *new* class Bs

And, under a target/hunting restricted LTC-A, you *can* carry a loaded handgun, so long as you are engaged in the activities listed in the restrictions, or at home.

"engaged in the activities" includes "travel to and from the activity from your home". so, although you can't have a loaded handgun while hunting because of the hunting regs, you can carry there and back.

Having said all this, open carry, although legal, is a really bad idea. The chances that someone will freak out and call the police are high enough that it's not worth the ginormous expense and hassle of getting arrested.

22. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

On restricted LTC-As, the Bolded part above is ONLY true if the issuing chief agrees with this. What you are referring to is a memo by FRB that only has legal standing for NR LTCs that FRB issues. The FRB can not over-rule local chiefs on issuance of Resident LTCs.

23. milktree

milktree NES Member

So.... I got this from a guy who was (I think) the licensing officer in the department he worked (but not the chief) in 2006. It came from a mailing list he's on that deals with LTC issues.

Yes, I realize that was 11 years ago, but the list of state agencies that appear to have signed off on it is pretty compelling.

Have there been changes since then?

24. Len-2A Training

I know all about the memo as well as what some towns mean wrt restrictions. I keep in tune with what's going on in LE and I was a member of that LE eList when that was posted.

25. milktree

milktree NES Member

OK, so you're saying that the memo is widely ignored, or never had any meaning?

I'm not trying to challenge you here, just trying to get the history.

26. Len-2A Training

FRB is not a law making body, nor legally are they supposed to "interpret" law. So their "guidance" is well-meaning but they can't tell local chiefs what to do. Since FRB issues NR LTCs, that memo does mean something for NRs.

I specifically teach this stuff in my Mass Gun Law Seminar to make it clear to folks. If a local chief goes along with what is in the memo, that is great for those he restricts, but many will not . . . Boston as an example absolutely will not allow any concealed carry on restricted LTCs and they make that clear to applicants.

27. one2one2

one2one2

In the process of applying for a renewal. Currently unrestricted, but living in Springfield now :(. Has anything changed from Red to green???

28. jbosco

jbosco

Looking to apply on my 21st birthday next month in Reading. Had my fid card for about five years now. Anybody know the chances i will get an unrestricted ltc-a?

29. 42!

42! NES Life Member NES Member

Unless they decide you're unsuitable for an LTC (not likely given your FID), then the "A" is a given since there is now only one class issued. Someone else will have to speak up about Reading and restrictions.

30. jbosco

jbosco

Thats what i was thinking too. Thanks!