Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
My LTC expires in 2017, and by that time I'll be living in Watertown. Should I anticipate them placing restrictions on it (first time renewal)? I hear they are real terrors in that department.

Pretty much, yeah. Watertown is one of the worst municipalities in the state for this.

Why are you needing to live in Watertown? Any chance you could live somewhere like Arlington or Belmont instead? Even Waltham will renew an unrestricted license without placing restrictions on it.

I recently heard ththat the town of Waltham Ma. Is now green, I know of one young man in his early twenty who just got a non restricted ltc...

I recently heard ththat the town of Waltham Ma. Is now green, I know of one young man in his early twenty who just got a non restricted ltc...

Got any more details on the applicant? Even in nominally "red" towns you can sometimes get unrestricted LTC if you have the right political or law enforcement connections, if you're a business owner, if you're a doctor or lawyer, or if you can prove "need" like carrying cash or other valuables, doing work in bad neighborhoods at night, documented threats to your life, that kind of thing.

Waltham has had the policy of a 6 year probationary period with restrictions for first time applicants. It is said on renewal, they would be lifted but I have yet to hear of anyone come forward with actual evidence it has happened.

Also, writing in prior to your six years asking for restrictions to lifted also does not work as well...I know this personally.

Waltham has had the policy of a 6 year probationary period with restrictions for first time applicants. It is said on renewal, they would be lifted but I have yet to hear of anyone come forward with actual evidence it has happened.

Also, writing in prior to your six years asking for restrictions to lifted also does not work as well...I know this personally.

I have evidence. As of January 2016, WPD only has three restricted LTCs that are renewals. Apart from that, all of the active renewal license in Waltham are unrestricted.

When my Waltham LTC renewed, I wasn't even asked if I wanted unrestricted, they gave it to me.

My neighbor around the corner had exactly the same experience.

The licensing officer implied very strongly that anyone who wanted an unrestricted LTC would get one upon renewal.

Well here is an update, I just spoke to the licensing officer in Waltham. They are going to take my restrictions off my LTC. It was due to expire Nov 2018, All I need do is make clear copy of my ltc front & back and tell them I want an Upgrade*** I was told they proses every month and will call me when my new un restricted ltc is ready.

Well here is an update, I just spoke to the licensing officer in Waltham. They are going to take my restrictions off my LTC. It was due to expire Nov 2018, All I need do is make clear copy of my ltc front & back and tell them I want an Upgrade*** I was told they proses every month and will call me when my new un restricted ltc is ready.

Awesome!

Are they going to charge you for a new one (as if it were a new application) or do it for free?

Huh... for some reason I thought it was "expire old one early, issue new one." Is that only if you change towns?

No. Changes in restrictions and replacements for lost/stolen keep the same expiration dates and are not supposed to cost the individual a dime (free replacements for lost/stolen is specifically called out in MGLs).

Only "expire early, issue new one" is when restricted and old town refused to remove restriction but new town will issue unrestricted. That is an entire new application and fee, dates and LTC # changes at that time.

Well this news about Waltham is pretty awesome.

My experiences with Waltham were between the years of 2010 and 2013.

In 2013, my written request into Waltham PD for my restrictions to be lifted prior to my LTC expiration was declined.

I am happy to hear Waltham PD is changing their issuing stance.

Awesome!

Are they going to charge you for a new one (as if it were a new application) or do it for free?No charge..and as ssome one stated my experation date stays the same..I just wanted to share this so anyone else who is in Waltham & has restrictions will know.

proses?

They want an essay, written in prose. As opposed to poetry. Which is a good thing. Having to submit your essay in iambic pentameter would be unduly burdensome.

I'd like a license for a pistol please;
My right to keep and bear arms is at stake.
A citizen of Waltham have I been
For twenty years, a little, give or take.

I just called and spoke to officer Modica. He told me the same thing.. Mail it in and address it to him. I'm pretty excited right now!

Yup. It's true. I have just verified this information myself. Got the same answer.

I would say Somerville is green. My sister, father, and myself all received LTCs with no restrictions, even though none of us have had a LTC before. The police chief told me that he does not give restrictions on LTCs and if you meat the requirements he will give you your licence.

I received a big F U when asking for restrictions to be removed in Woburn. Can we make this town any more red?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say Somerville is green. My sister, father, and myself all received LTCs with no restrictions, even though none of us have had a LTC before. The police chief told me that he does not give restrictions on LTCs and if you meat the requirements he will give you your licence.

In 2015 Somerville only restricted 3 of the 160 LTCs they issued.

I think Winchendon is now green.
Renewal app. mid December LTC-A restrictions none in hand 3/7 (had T&S prior to renewal). Ya, long time but "backlogs/delays" at state...etc...etc. [thinking]

Talked to the nice young woman doing the prints/pics/app....the old licensing officer is no longer with the dept. Also, fairly new chief. Was told that they don't issue anything but 'restrictions none' now. [thumbsup]

Hope it stays this way.

Could this thread be used to track town meeting warrants?

Or should that be another sticky, I'm thinking it would be great to have all towns listed somewhere so we can "check them off" so to speak once we know that nothing was filed, or on the flip side, note what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom