• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide To Gun Rights in your MA Town - 2020 + Edition

Almost 6mo and still waiting :rolleyes:
As of this week it's with the FRB. Does that mean that the local PD cleared it and now it just needs to be printed and mailed?

This is my wife's renewal and she doesn't want to make waves. Me, I will not play nice - submitted my renewal SEVEN months early in December and I'm going to hound them for it. Completely unacceptable that it's taking this long.

As of this week it's with the FRB. Does that mean that the local PD cleared it and now it just needs to be printed and mailed?

This is my wife's renewal and she doesn't want to make waves. Me, I will not play nice - submitted my renewal SEVEN months early in December and I'm going to hound them for it. Completely unacceptable that it's taking this long.
app submitted at PD
PD sends it to FRB
FRB OKs it (background check) and sends it back to PD
PD OKs it (suitability) and sends it back to FRB
FRB prints and send it back to PD
PD give it to you

This is very simplified and of course the back and forth is electronic, but it gives the basics of the back and forth. I got the same process independently from both a local LO and the FRB about 6 years ago. For what it's worth the FRB told me they run just a couple weeks max for processing pre actual printing (that is batch processed). Without saying it outright there was the implication that any big delays were while it was with the PD.

So you "with the FRB" could before the PD OK or after.

Is that per the PD? IIRC, if you call the hotline, they'll give you a little more info than "it's with us." (In case you already called them, maybe this'll be helpful for the next person)

Firearms PIN and License Status Hotline
(617) 660-4722
Open M-F 8 a.m.–5 p.m.

I posted the process (provided by the FRB Director) as a sticky in my sub-forum. Last I checked, no critical changes have been made to the process.

My son dropped his off about a week ago in South Hadley. Was told 6-8 weeks.

He received a letter with his license and pin just about two months after his "interview", which was just the licensing reading his application out loud as she entered the information into the computer.

Dropped off my renewal on 18 Dec. Just called DCJIS - my PD didn't even enter the application until February. They're supposed to issue it within 40 days and they took longer than that just to get it into the system. Wow!

Dropped off my renewal on 18 Dec. Just called DCJIS - my PD didn't even enter the application until February. They're supposed to issue it within 40 days and they took longer than that just to get it into the system. Wow!
as long as you got the receipt you should be good until you get new one

Carrying an extra sheet of paper is more effort than is required by law. Why do I need to remember to bring it everywhere when the PD should've done their job by now?

The MIRCS receipt can not be generated UNTIL the PD enters the applicant's info into MIRCS!!! So he had no receipt that meets the law.
Are you sure? The receipt was filled out by hand right in front of me when I dropped off the application. I don't think anything got entered via computer at that time.

Are you sure? The receipt was filled out by hand right in front of me when I dropped off the application. I don't think anything got entered via computer at that time.
The receipt is an electronic printout that says DCJIS on top. My understanding is that’s the receipt you need for the indefinite grace period and that only happens when the PD submits.

Mine is a DCJIS letterhead form that says that it's a receipt of my renewal submission. It also cites the MGL section that allows me to keep carrying. But the information specific to me is hand-written at the PD.

Mine is a DCJIS letterhead form that says that it's a receipt of my renewal submission. It also cites the MGL section that allows me to keep carrying. But the information specific to me is hand-written at the PD.

I don't think that I ever have received such a form throughout 4 or 5 renewals.

Would you be willing to post a copy WITHOUT your personal information showing?

Looks like they made a photo copy/scan of a partially filled out form and "customize it" for applicants. In other words, I don't believe that it is valid in the system.

It's more of a question of "will they prosecute me for carrying on an official-looking form even though nothing's been actually entered"?
Once they do a MIRCS query, they will know that the form is bogus. More likely to charge you with forging a gov't document than going after the PD that created it.

Looks like they made a photo copy/scan of a partially filled out form and "customize it" for applicants. In other words, I don't believe that it is valid in the system.
I agree, nothing should be handwritten on that "receipt".

The genius in my town once gave me a hand written receipt that had her name and signature, the PD's name, the date, the amount of money I paid, and LTC in the memo section. She tore it out of a numbered receipt book and told me it was good enough until my license came in! She further stated that If anybody had a problem with the receipt, to just call the department and ask for her. Total FAIL!

Back
Top Bottom