• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide To Gun Rights in your MA Town - 2020 + Edition

I feel like there used to be a different thread for this.. but I see others in here.

Billerica MA - LTC Renewal
8/4/22 - Dropped off renewal paperwork
8/11/22 - Received phone call to set up appointment
8/16/22 - Check cashed
8/24/22 - Interview (was going to be 8/17, but COVID.)
Was told LTCs are running about 2-months out. When I originally called about starting the renewal process, I asked about green cards - I was told that the Chief denies them, even for their own guys.

Update:
The 8/1 appointment was cancelled due to some confusion as to who was the issuing authority in my case (CT resident but MA business owner). Appointment is now scheduled for 8/10 with Auburn being the issuing authority.
Update:
Application was approved on 8/10. Just waiting on the card to arrive.

I feel like there used to be a different thread for this.. but I see others in here.

8/16/22 - Check cashed
Was told LTCs are running about 2-months out. When I originally called about starting the renewal process, I asked about green cards - I was told that the Chief denies them, even for their own guys.
8/16/22 - Check cashed
9/21/22 - LTC received in the mail (you provide a self addressed stamped envelope at the interview)

Card in hand. 7/28 application to 9/30 card in hand. Application was approved on 8/10. The state’s batch processing is the bottleneck in this whole thing.

Pretty sure Attleboro will still restrict any new applicants under the age of 25 to a T&H. They are yellow in that aspect.

I was able to renew for my LTC-A the day after I turned 25 without any issue. So I guess they’re green in that regard.

Renewals haven’t been an issue, but time will tell when I go to renew later this year (if I haven’t moved)

Pretty sure Attleboro will still restrict any new applicants under the age of 25 to a T&H. They are yellow in that aspect.

I was able to renew for my LTC-A the day after I turned 25 without any issue. So I guess they’re green in that regard.

Renewals haven’t been an issue, but time will tell when I go to renew later this year (if I haven’t moved)
Restrictions no longer exist, so you need to revisit "pretty sure".

Card in hand. 7/28 application to 9/30 card in hand. Application was approved on 8/10. The state’s batch processing is the bottleneck in this whole thing.
Good data point. Part in italics was the bottleneck for you. I wonder if it is for everybody, or if there are worse things elsewhere, or if this "state batch processing" varies at all.

At this point, this thread should be shut down, and a new one started from July 2022 and forward.

This is a replacement for THIS thread which is ancient and somewhat outdated

Things have changed, in 2021 there are very few full on red towns anymore.
What we need here is feedback, and I will update the posts here with an index.
Some constraints: Only new app experiences are really useful. Renewals almost don't count, HOWEVER, I'll make an exception.... if some town gives you shit renewing, makes it hard to obtain a receipt, or some other possibly obstructionist BS, it should be noted.
Towns should be rated Bright Green / Green / Yellow / Red
Bright Green is only awarded if they don't have unnecessary requirements on 1st issue. (eg, most towns will not get bright green, because they require reference letters, which is NOT in the law!) you get the
idea.
Frequently asked Question of all time: "Will Town X downgrade me on renewal or on the fly if I move in with an unrestricted LTC?"
Most towns, even the Shitty Mc Shit towns, DO NOT do this. That said, BE CAREFUL. Septic Tank Shit towns like Brookline? I would be shocked if they didn
downgrade you.... but others like Cambridge, or Medford do not downgrade move ins. Even notorious shit towns like Watertown supposedly stopped doing this.
I think most of them stopped doing this shit because it sets them up to get sued and be in a bad position. It's much easier for them to abuse new people with no license time under
their belts.
There should be 3 categories of rating:
General (eg, restrictive vs not, restricted vs unrestricted etc then

Administrative (how hard it is to get an appointment etc) and also
Suitability. Suitability is difficult because most people don't have problems. But if some c*** town says "bweah you ahve a DUI from 900 years ago that shouldnt count, but we still hate you" we want to know because we want to put them on the list and mark it as such.
This is the phirst poast, the 2nd one will be the actual town list with ratings. Phirst post will also be used for link to Comm2A scoreboards/cards etc. When I can get my hands on such info/links....
ETA: Thanks to @Mesatchornug I have attached the 2017 Comm2a Scorecard to this post, if someone has a newer one, I will add/update it.
ETA2: Also added state license total # link, etc... here... also see attachments for backup

second poast TOWN LIST please provide info I will update this post with it.

For sanity sake, 2015+ experiences only. Lets keep the data quality better by keeping it current. What happened 10 years ago is not really useful anymore in terms of rankings

If an entry is bolded (town name) then it means that data is very fresh or considered high reliability.

Town: General Ranking: Administrative Ranking: Suitability Ranking:

EOPS/MSP (Nonresidents):
Yellow ( SOME new people still getting restricted - Red (they're slow as ass - Suitability issues unknown. Need more data.
*NOTE- as of covid land era, EOPS/CJIS is taking annual renewals by mail finally.

Acton - Green

Waltham - Green

At this point, this thread should be shut down, and a new one started from July 2022 and forward.

I really think a new thread should be started, since all restrictions are now off the table. The field has changed completely. Then again, you also mention suitability. That is their new go-to for disallowing licenses.

A new thread, possibly titled "Guide To Gun Rights in your MA Town - 2023 + Edition+"

In the first post, list all cities/towns with updates, alphabetically, that are posted to succeeding posts.

Anyone with more insight into the process hazard a guess on when I might expect to get my new LTC? Here's the details; today is day 40 since I submitted my application, I called the FRB hotline the other day and they said my application was approved and my LTC listed as active and to call my PD. So I called my PD but haven't heard anything back. They've been responsive up to this point so I don't want to nag them, but I also want my LTC in hand.

Anyone with more insight into the process hazard a guess on when I might expect to get my new LTC? Here's the details; today is day 40 since I submitted my application, I called the FRB hotline the other day and they said my application was approved and my LTC listed as active and to call my PD. So I called my PD but haven't heard anything back. They've been responsive up to this point so I don't want to nag them, but I also want my LTC in hand.
40 days would be quick.

Granby MA - Applied December 1st, issued on the 16th, received on the 22nd. Did not give anything in terms of recommendations or even references. Lieutenant Pohler's hands were soft and gentle in the fingerprinting session.
They way it should be for every town in MA. What really should be is Constitutionally Carry across the country with no fees!
Pittsfield, MA
Dropped off paper work January 13th, received new LTC February 15th.

It looks like they are getting closer to the 40 day law in some towns.

Yeah I was surprised when the FRB said my LTC is active and basically sitting with my PD, which kind of promoted my question/confusion here
But not this one, apparently. What is the town?

To be fair I have to bite my tongue, LTC came in the mail today. Applied 1/23, issued 2/22, arrived 3/4. If there's a bottleneck anywhere it's the mailing process; it looks like PD put it in the mail on 3/1 so it took 3 days to travel 8/10ths of a mile to my house 🤯

To be fair I have to bite my tongue, LTC came in the mail today. Applied 1/23, issued 2/22, arrived 3/4. If there's a bottleneck anywhere it's the mailing process; it looks like PD put it in the mail on 3/1 so it took 3 days to travel 8/10ths of a mile to my house 🤯
aren't they supposed to deliver in person directly to the LTC holder?

Townsend, Realized my license was expiring in Feb, so I called and was seen that same week (January 27th). No issues and license arrived in the mail from them yesterday, March 10th.

Last edited:
A friend of mine applied in Attleboro back in August 2022. He was told to make an appointment and the wait time was going to be SEVEN months! This month he was called and told to bring a check and a written letter of reference stating how long the person knew him and another two to three sentences regarding his character. I don't know if more than one letter of reference was needed but I found this entire situation to be extreme and a total disgrace! I believe that this practice is designed to cause an applicant to give up on obtaining a LTC and I'm questioning the legality of it all also.

A friend of mine applied in Attleboro back in August 2022. He was told to make an appointment and the wait time was going to be SEVEN months! This month he was called and told to bring a check and a written letter of reference stating how long the person knew him and another two to three sentences regarding his character. I don't know if more than one letter of reference was needed but I found this entire situation to be extreme and a total disgrace! I believe that this practice is designed to cause an applicant to give up on obtaining a LTC and I'm questioning the legality of it all also.
You are correct, that is exactly what they are doing. And there is no legal requirement for a letter, but know the consequesces of not giving in, delay or denial. If your friend is up for a fight, might want to contact a firearms lawyer and/or Comm2a.

One caution, a general law lawyer will do more harm than good, you need one that knows firearms law. There are a few out there, @nstassel is one of them.

You are correct, that is exactly what they are doing. And there is no legal requirement for a letter, but know the consequesces of not giving in, delay or denial. If your friend is up for a fight, might want to contact a firearms lawyer and/or Comm2a.

One caution, a general law lawyer will do more harm than good, you need one that knows firearms law. There are a few out there, @nstassel is one of them.
There are extenuating circumstances in the distant past that may be overlooked if he just follows orders, like a good puppet, I mean soldier! If he receives a denial, then an attorney will definitely be consulted. He was told by an established firearms attorney prior to applying that his distant past circumstances could, but shouldn't, play a role in the decision process. If it does, then an appeal will be filed. I will update when I find out what the results are.

There are extenuating circumstances in the distant past that may be overlooked if he just follows orders, like a good puppet, I mean soldier! If he receives a denial, then an attorney will definitely be consulted. He was told by an established firearms attorney prior to applying that his distant past circumstances could, but shouldn't, play a role in the decision process. If it does, then an appeal will be filed. I will update when I find out what the results are.
better going in with all your ducks in a row, than to fight a denial IMHO

when I got my first LTC from Attleboro, I had to provide 2 letters of reference

better going in with all your ducks in a row, than to fight a denial IMHO

when I got my first LTC from Attleboro, I had to provide 2 letters of reference
That's why he consulted with an attorney beforehand. The attorney informed him the odds of acquisition were more positive than negative and to call him if things didn't go as planned.

Back
Top Bottom