GSG-5 for Appleseed

I've got a buddy interested in doing the Harvard appleseed. What sling do people suggest for a GSG-5? It's the only rifle he has that could be used for appleseed.

I only question what sling because the mounts are on the side of the rifle and not under it like on a 10/22

get creative with some black paracord. you can put a sling loop just about anywhere. and use a HK style j-hooks on each end of your sling to quickly detach or attach your sling. i have used this method on numerous rifle setups, and it works excellent

I've seen it done (weren't you on my line for Harvard this year?). The GSG5 just isn't a great option for appleseed. It will work in a pinch, but if you can get a 10/22 or some other conventional 22 in his hands he'll probably enjoy himself more.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think a side sling mount should probably be fine. I read about some appleseed training for some fresh DM's and they were using the GI web sling on a side mount. That is if I recall correctly... my head is pounding.

I'd think that a standard Garand sling would work if your friend has standard 1.25" swivels on it.

Two other things that he should know, though:

1 - make sure that he's got at least 4 10 round mags - I know the shoot boss (I see him every time I brush my teeth or shave), and he WILL be doing a fair amount of rapid-fire AQTs. [smile] (This is a four week warning, and I urge him to take it seriously - otherwise we'll be having to find someone to load his two mags for him as he's shooting)

2 - make sure that his sights or scope are LocTited DOWN. I watched a guy blow a Rifleman score and we couldn't figure out why... until we realized that the scope on his GSG had worked it's way loose. Heck, we had two scopes work their way loose this weekend! One lady would have cleaned the Redcoat target, I think, except for her scope mount working loose.

One recommendation would be for him to go to the range some weekend and blow about 200+ rounds through it in a day - see if there are any weak spots to the rifle. I see it EVERY DAMN SHOOT - someone brings a rifle that just got out of the shrinkwrap and we then have to spend half the morning troubleshooting the damn thing. He gets to waste his time - AND money - doing what he should have done before, and NOT learning.

I, and all my fellow instructors, want to be TEACHING, not troubleshooting. We have a very important message that we want to communicate, and we can't do it if a shooter is sitting there worrying about his equipment.

I know this sounds like a rant, and perhaps it is - but I believe that we can best serve our cause if we're teaching and not acting as gunsmiths.

So, Stratocaster... please invite your friend to go shooting, and wring that puppy out. Find any problems BEFORE your friend comes to the Appleseed Shoot.

Please? I guarantee he'll have a much better time if he has a reliable rifle!

get creative with some black paracord. you can put a sling loop just about anywhere. and use a HK style j-hooks on each end of your sling to quickly detach or attach your sling. i have used this method on numerous rifle setups, and it works excellent

Yep!! I'm making a paracord sling now..

Yeah, I was on your line Ninsho. I was right next to that guy. I wasn't really using him as a measuring stick for using a GSG-5 at an Appleseed though.

He has 3 mags now and just ordered one more. We put a good 100-150rounds through it the other day, and I'm sure we'll put a good amount more through it before the end of august. Make sure that all of the mags are reliable.

I was teaching him some of the basics and posted some AQT's at our range and he shot a 153 with his GSG and no sling. He had to reload in the middle due to lack of mags, so the overall time was off, but I thought it was pretty good.

My concern is with the how loosey goosey the rear sight seems when you loosen that top screw and the fact that the sling mounts are on the side.

What if he was to get one of these hooks:

slinghook_844_detail.jpg

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=730&idcategory=76

for the back end of this:

sling_288_detail.jpg

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=893&idcategory=76

or maybe this:

ambislinggreen_1894_detail.jpg

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=689&idcategory=76

Hmm... OK, after googling the rifle so I could get a feel for where the sling mounts are, I realize that I was thinking of a different rifle at the Bennington shoot. (some more googling yields that I was thinking of the G22. [rolleyes])

Looks like the front sling mount is just a ring? If so, I'd think that the hook pictured above would work.

About the mags... he does have the 10 round ones, right? Also, does he have the Standard model, the Carbine or the SD? Looks like the SD doesn't have a front swivel.

anyway, tell him to bring what he can - we'll work with him to find a position that works for him. If we can't make it work... well... there are usually a few loaners hiding in the instructors' cars. [smile]

I'm not 100% sure, but I think a side sling mount should probably be fine. I read about some appleseed training for some fresh DM's and they were using the GI web sling on a side mount. That is if I recall correctly... my head is pounding.

You are correct on what was on those M4's.

Now, a side mount is no problem. That's what an AK or SKS uses, and we make it work.

He got this sling from 5.11.

We're still bringing my extra USGI web sling just in case. [wink]
Well, it looks like it'll work - it's just a loop sling that he's paying 5 times as much for as you did.

One nice thing, though - check out the video. That man is in a damned GOOD seated position. PRACTICE THAT POSITION. You'll be learning it at the shoot. [smile]

Last edited:
I also like that I can do a loop sling, but still keep the sling long to toss the rifle over my shoulder comfortably.

I didn't even notice that it unclips in the middle. It was kind of awkward trying to attach the armband when it was already on, and that will definitely help.

The nice thing about the Garand sling is that there are THREE different ways to use it to sling up... and we'll be teaching them all at the shoot.

Back
Top Bottom