Grouse hunting question

whacko

NES Member
So I hooked up for a free grouse hunting trip for veterans in mid October. It's up in Maine so there will actually be some grouse .Great guide up there he's awesome with veterans and free trips for us....Been out for snow shoe hare with him before. But I digress

Smallest size loads I stock in my safe are #6 shot high brass. Is that too much on grouse? I know I'll be using the IC choke and all..... should I pick up some 7 1/2 for this trip or stick with the #6? If anyone's recommending I go to 7 1/2 I have some 1 ounce or 1 1/8 ounce trap and skeet loads I could use or should I go with 1 1/4 ounce high brass 7 1/2?

I use 7.5s for my first shot and follow with 6s.

I don’t use a dog, so grouse flushes for me are usually 2 - 3 feet. Take a breath and shoot at about 10 - 15 yards. A miss is at 25 yards for the second shot. I’ve never connected with third or more shots.

I usually load all 7.5 or 8's and if it's a hunt they tend to flush early I load it like I do for turkey. First 2 7.5 or 8 and then a 6. Well for turkey I load 2 6's and a then a 4 but that's a different issue....

I use 7.5s for my first shot and follow with 6s.

I don’t use a dog, so grouse flushes for me are usually 2 - 3 feet. Take a breath and shoot at about 10 - 15 yards. A miss is at 25 yards for the second shot. I’ve never connected with third or more shots.
This

I like #7.5 low brass. If you have a 3rd shot that could be your #6 for the longer shot.
Also, Partridge & Woodcock season overlap and there's always a chance you'll flush a woodcock while out for partridge (grouse). High brass 6s wreck a woodcock if you have a solid connect (been there). Plus, you'll get about 15% more pellets with 7.5s than 6s increasing your chances for connecting.

I use 8's in the first barrel, 6's for the second.
Target loads work fine.
Where in Maine? You're gonna have a ball!
Pleasant ridge Maine. Place called pine Grove lodge. Owners are Bob and Andrea Howe. Amazing people. I hunt snow shoe hare with them a lot. They are huge into helping veterans......He takes over 300 veterans on free fishing or hunting trips every year.

I usually load all 7.5 or 8's and if it's a hunt they tend to flush early I load it like I do for turkey. First 2 7.5 or 8 and then a 6. Well for turkey I load 2 6's and a then a 4 but that's a different issue....
Ok thanks. Ill use some target loads in 7 1/2 and pick up a box of low brass #6. I planned on using my old a5 browning with the IC barrel installed (I actually have an a5 from 1969 that has a full choke and an ic barrel both vent rib....And a slug barrel with iron sights). But for this hunt I do have a double barrel with changeable chokes and double triggers......IC And MOD with a 7 1/2 and a 6? Or stick with the browning for a 3rd shot? What would you guys use?

Last edited:
I always used my skeet gun, O/U sk/sk with 7 1/2s. The places I was hunting, there was never a chance for a third shot unless it was a second bird that hesitated.

I always used my skeet gun, O/U sk/sk with 7 1/2s. The places I was hunting, there was never a chance for a third shot unless it was a second bird that hesitated.
I'll may use the dbl barrel then. I have time to think about it. Also on a trip when I'm traveling a few hours to hunt I always bring two guns.....Good idea to have a spare in case my primary breaks. Saved my hunt two years ago when my browning safety spring broke when I was up in maine for snow shoe hare.

I take two guns, my L. C. Smith 20ga. IC and Modified fixed chokes, and a Citori White Lightning 20 with chokes.
If the leaves are still thick I'll often go with Skeet and IC or Mod, leaves down IC and Improved Mod for longer shots.
I do prefer the Smith's handling and double triggers for instant choke choice.

What are these "grouse" that you speak of? Perhaps you mean partridges instead?

7 1/2's or 8's are fine, an open choke is highly preferred early in the season. As far as gun choice, bring several, but most importantly, bring the guns that you can shoulder, point and shoot quickly. If you're going early in the season remember that the leaf cover will still be thick and your shot (or occasionally, shots) will be close and quick. You'll also probably run into some woodcock as well; it's been my experience that neither bird is hard to kill, just hit, that's why you'll want to be on your toes and alert. If your guide has a good dog you will have an absolute blast. Good luck and good hunting.

What are these "grouse" that you speak of? Perhaps you mean partridges instead?

7 1/2's or 8's are fine, an open choke is highly preferred early in the season. As far as gun choice, bring several, but most importantly, bring the guns that you can shoulder, point and shoot quickly. If you're going early in the season remember that the leaf cover will still be thick and your shot (or occasionally, shots) will be close and quick. You'll also probably run into some woodcock as well; it's been my experience that neither bird is hard to kill, just hit, that's why you'll want to be on your toes and alert. If your guide has a good dog you will have an absolute blast. Good luck and good hunting.
The Maine hunting abstract calls them ruffed grouse.....Which IS what they are. Mainers call them partridge for some strange reason .

I've been partridge hunting once at a large game farm in some town out near central MA. It was a gift from my and three buddies' wives for the four of us to go there for the day. It was a great time! Those Chukar's are fast as hell. I think I only hit two of them. I would love to do that again. I don't have a hunting dog but some day before my son reaches the age he can come hunting with me, I'd love to get an upland game bird dog and train him well. I don't know shit about dog training though, and I work like 50 hours/ week so it may not ever happen.

I've been partridge hunting once at a large game farm in some town out near central MA. It was a gift from my and three buddies' wives for the four of us to go there for the day. It was a great time! Those Chukar's are fast as hell. I think I only hit two of them. I would love to do that again. I don't have a hunting dog but some day before my son reaches the age he can come hunting with me, I'd love to get an upland game bird dog and train him well. I don't know shit about dog training though, and I work like 50 hours/ week so it may not ever happen.
I'm not a "bird hunter" by any means. I gave up on the mass pheasant circus years ago. Snow show hare is my favorite. Pine Grove lodge has great rates.....$200 a day INCLUDING MEALS lODGING SNOW SHOES TO USE AND THE HUNT.

Great folks up there.

This trip is another one of his free to veterans events......Never hunted grouse. Should be a hoot.

Just a reminder that woodcock are migratory birds so stamps and maybe a HIP number is require depending on the state.

Bob

Because woodcock are migratory game birds and not migratory waterfowl no federal or state stamps are needed. you do need a HIP number, which you can do online or when you buy your Maine license. Also the 3 shot plugged shotgun rule applies as well. Cool birds to hunt in the fall, as well as watch do the mating ritual at dusk in the spring.

I always thought you needed the stamp. Thanks for the update. It has been years since I chased birds.

Bob

I thought the same thing until I read this. Page 34 of the 2018 Mass Abstracts: "STAMPS For most hunters, federal and state stamps are required for hunting any waterfowl: ducks (including sea ducks), geese, or brant. Stamps are not required for hunitng woodcock, snipe, rails, or coots."

I spent some time on the patterning board and shooting down trap over the weekend.

The double barrel coach gun I have with 20 inch barrels patterns very well. Nice even spreads with ic and mod chokes with 7 1/2 high brass remmy loads. Shot trap with it and hit 17 for both rounds. With my browning I always hit 23 to 25. I'm bringing the browning and the ic barrel just because I use it better.

The veterans hunt at pine Grove Lodge in Maine was a great day. Did not bag any grouse but the guide that took me had good dogs that pointed up 5 grouse. It was raining hard though and the dang birds wouldn't flush.......they would just run into the woods more and hide......is what it is can't expect to harvest wild grouse every day can we?

We flushed two hens and a male in full fan. They were on a atv trail in Phillips Maine. Saw others yesterday.
The dogs pointed 5 for us on the hunt at pine Grove yesterday. Unfortunately with the rain they would not flush......kept running further and further into the Aspen thickets before we could even get to the dog on point.

I saw a nice one on a dirt road edge and went in after it and even had it treed and in range but ......there was a house about 200 feet back that I could see through the trees and passed on him. Didn't want to end up the star if the next episode of North woods law.

The veterans hunt at pine Grove Lodge in Maine was a great day. Did not bag any grouse but the guide that took me had good dogs that pointed up 5 grouse. It was raining hard though and the dang birds wouldn't flush.......they would just run into the woods more and hide......is what it is can't expect to harvest wild grouse every day can we?

Glad you had a great hunt.

Where's your avatar?

Back
Top Bottom