Grouse hunting in NH

I moved to NH just over a year ago from VT and missed hunting last fall....

I am looking for some recommendations for a descent hunting spot for grouse in NH (preferably no farther north than the white mountain area). I am living in Salem, but I have family that live in Bristol, so anywhere around either of those places would be great. I am obviously willing to travel, so nowhere in NH is out of the question.

Thanks for any info and/or recommendations! Feel free to PM me with any replies.

If you get some replies can you please put the locations here? I would like to hunt Grouse next fall as well.

I haven't hunted grouse in quite a few years,,,but generally speaking, the farther north you go, the more grouse there are. I still hunt southern NH for deer and pheasant, and very rarely put up a grouse. I haven't been north in 6 or 7 years, but I remember it being fairly common to have a dozen or more flushes in a day. I guess my whole point is that your time may be better spent driving a bit more, even if it means a bit less hunting time. The number of flushes per hour hunted in the north makes the drive time worthwhile.

It's the same way in Minnesota dixi, the further north you go the more grouse you see. When I used to white tail hut I would sling my .307 and carry my 12 gauge with bird shot for my walk back from my stand to the deer shack. I would always kick up a half dozen or so.

Thanks for the info, it is tough moving to a new area and leaving the old favorite hunting spots behind. I will definitely get in touch with Chuck and see if he can lead me in the right direction. Sounds like north is the way to go, and I am fine with that. Like you said dixi, the longer drive is worth it if you see more birds...

Thanks again for the info, and I am still up for more suggestions if people have any.

-jason

Back
Top Bottom