Great CMP timing

I submitted my paperwork via USPS on 12/22. I received a telephone call checking on a fact from the CMP on 12/27. (They wanted to know why my Harvard membership card did not have an expiration date. I told them that I was a life member and did not want an expiration date.) The M1 is in my hands today.

Astounding.

Yes, it was a Greek return. When the CMP folks contacted me they stated that it would be at least 3 months to get a non-Greek M1, that the
"regular" M1s were on backorder, I reconsidered. Considering that I am not looking for a collectible rifle (I want a shooter), and that all of these rifles go through the same arsenal refitting process, I elected to get the Greek return.

The stock is not in the best shape. Some dings, but no splits or cracks. The wood is very dark, and I am not good at judging why. The barrel and gas tube appear to be new, as is the front sight, recevier wear is about 85%. Overall, I am pleased.

I will post a photo soon.

I submitted my paperwork via USPS on 12/22. I received a telephone call checking on a fact from the CMP on 12/27. (They wanted to know why my Harvard membership card did not have an expiration date. I told them that I was a life member and did not want an expiration date.) The M1 is in my hands today.

Astounding.

lmao.....Good for you.....

The first I got from CMP took 11 days from my sending it in and the second was 8 days. They can be very quick !

Congrats !

worthless.gif

Nice rifle! Such a good feeling having a Garand, isn't it?

To be honest, I used to be a bit of a snob about the Garand, prefering SA M1As and ARs. I've got to say that, now that this is at my home, I have a great deal of affection for it. I think about that old Marine Corps recital: 'This is my rifle/There are many like it, but this is mine ...'

The rifle seems to convey solidity and practicality. It's a good feeling.

I love the CMP, every year I try to upgrade my Garand to the next better one and could only afford to do it through the CMP. The last one I got is a service grade and I bought a replacement stock set for $127 for it. I figured I would prefer a shooter rather than a collector so I went for the nice stock that was fitted correctly.

Next stop Camp Perry [grin]

To be honest, I used to be a bit of a snob about the Garand, prefering SA M1As and ARs. I've got to say that, now that this is at my home, I have a great deal of affection for it. I think about that old Marine Corps recital: 'This is my rifle/There are many like it, but this is mine ...'

The rifle seems to convey solidity and practicality. It's a good feeling.

I bought an M1A in November, it has an older serial number and it shoots better than I can. A friend has gone through two of the newer models where he has found some issues with both of them. One serious enough to go back to the factory but he returned it to the gun store who promptly sold it again.

I have to admit there is a certain thrill to hear that clink when the M1 Garand shoots the last round.

Emoto, Wear a HAT!

As far as I'm concerned a hat is essential to keeping hot brass off one's face, clips off the head, etc.

Back
Top Bottom