Grand dads take home p38

From his little memorial stone mg gunner on the USS Astoria.

I've only gotten a little out of my mom and grand ma. I don't like to press cause I can tell they miss him. My grand ma did tell me that she'll give me his war diary, so hopefully I'll learn more about him.

From what I've been told he came home with it,so he must of traded for it befor he got home. Ether way it means a lot to me. I never met the man, he passed before I was born. Only thing I have of his is the p38 and his Remington sportsman 58 semi auto 12g.
I've shot the 12g I've been mulling it over for some time shooting the p38. I don't want to take the chance of some thing breaking...
If I can find a FFl that will transfer a frame id like to build one to shoot.

Building one sometimes cost more than buying a shooter grade. I would look in that direction first.

A suggestion.

I would write up the history of the gun as you know it, sign and date it and keep it in an envelope with the gun. It will mean a lot to whomever inherits the gun and possibly add something to the value if they ever sell it.

Old firearms with any papers are worth more than those with nothing.

I recently seen a few ac45 mix parts guns like yours for 900.00 in a local shop?z no history no papers....blue book has them at 650 ish

I plan on making a nice display case for it. I like the letter idea to. Won't ever sell it, we'll fingers cross not bad comes to it. Like I said its the only thing I really have of my grand dads.
From the markings on the gun and what I've been told earlier In the thread , it is def a factory mismatch gi style take home. The big mystery is how/when my grand dad traded for it since he was on a boat in the pacific.

Sounds like the diary will have answers to the mystery.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

Exactly. I was putting it in more polite terms. LOL Its amazing how much was looted from the factory.

I understand but am unsure what is a better course of action during a war (and the guns were implements of war so they would have been justified in destroying all that they found too). Back in WWII, US Military were legally allowed to bring back "war trophies" . . . my late Father got on the boat back to the US with 3 such guns (2 lost in poker games) and a bunch of bayonets.

My late Father told me of taking over the Hummel factory and he and others from his unit were throwing Hummels out the windows and watching them shatter on the ground below for amusement.

Another of his stories was that Allied bombs hit a bank in Germany, resulting in money blowing around the streets. My Dad took some of the inflated (overstamped) Reichsmarks and used them to light a cigar (I think he told me that he took pictures doing this) as he felt them to be worthless. Another soldier buddy from Texas had been shacking up with a German woman and gathered as much of the Reichsmarks off the street as he could, giving the woman a duffelbag full and telling her to turn them in (convert them) whenever the gov't did the conversion and he'd be back for her. According to Dad after the war Tex returned to Germany and married her, both being rather wealthy as a result. Spoils of war and different time and place! [A lot of things that were considered "acceptable" back in WWII would get soldiers court-martialed and imprisoned in today's world, of that I am certain.]

if only that gun could speak just the history behind it theres a place in woodstock nh that has some newer age p38's that he sell for 2-500$ but i would never park with it worth more to me than any 1911 ever will wish my dad was into guns because my grandfather had a bunch of repeaters i would have loved to get a hold of but all his hunting buddys got them i was just a little pup at the time didnt know any better

"Factory mismatched AC45" sounds like "G.I. loot" off the Walther plant in Zella-Mehlis.
To the victor go the spoils.

Another of his stories was that Allied bombs hit a bank in Germany, resulting in money blowing around the streets. My Dad took some of the inflated (overstamped) Reichsmarks and used them to light a cigar (I think he told me that he took pictures doing this) as he felt them to be worthless. Another soldier buddy from Texas had been shacking up with a German woman and gathered as much of the Reichsmarks off the street as he could, giving the woman a duffelbag full and telling her to turn them in (convert them) whenever the gov't did the conversion and he'd be back for her. According to Dad after the war Tex returned to Germany and married her, both being rather wealthy as a result. Spoils of war and different time and place!

Now that's a cool story, and that is what makes, IMHO, history come alive. We can read history books all we want, but until you can make a connection with the events, or until you get it personalized, it doesn't mean much. This story is great. +1 for sharing it, Len. Thanks. (I hope Tex and his fraulein had a long & happy life together!)

I'm gonna see if she bring the journal to thanksgiving so I can read through it to see if he says how he got it.. I'll see what she tells me, when he left when he came back. What he did after his boat sank etc ill post back this info .

Back
Top Bottom