Grafton buyback event this Saturday

StevieP

NES Member
WHEN: Saturday, December 16th from 10:00 am – 1:00 pm

WHERE: Grafton Police Headquarters – 2nd floor

Kids and guns do not mix...A gun in the home is 22 times more likely to kill a family member or friend than to kill an intruder. With gun ownership comes the responsibility of storing guns locked, unloaded and inaccessible to kids. If this is not something you can do, let us dispose of the firearm for you by participating in "Goods for Guns."

Turn in your operable gun* and receive:
• Semi-automatic weapon: $75 gift certificate to a local merchant.
• Handgun: $50 gift certificate to a local merchant.
• Long gun: $25 gift certificate to a local merchant.
• Also accepting non-operable guns, live ammunition and firearm accessories (no gift certificates issued).
• Anonymity ensured - no names asked.
• No gun registrations required.
• Licensed gun owners are welcome to pick up a trigger lock free of charge even if you are not turning in a gun.

*IMPORTANT: All guns must be brought unloaded and wrapped in a bag.

Sponsored by the Grafton Police Department, UMASS Health Care, Office of Worcester County District Attorney Joseph D. Early Jr., Injury Free Coalition for Kids and the Central MA Regional Public Health Alliance
==============

Idiots.

Jeez, I wish my PD was giving out free trigger locks!

I have seen some funny videos of FFL's sitting outside gun buy backs and purchasing guns "for fair market value"

Great. Another cache of old hunting guns will be brought in by old women who's husband's passed away and they don't know what to do with them.

These buy backs are stupid.

These things are actually very dangerous. The sorts of knowledgeable people afraid of firearms going to these things are apt to have a negligent discharge.

I also have to laugh at the thoroughly discredited 22 times more likely stat which was withdrawn under peer review nearly 30 years ago.

Hey....it's a free day for all illegal bangers if stopped, to just tell the Po Po they are headed to the gun buyback. No license needed. Awesome!

Got some real crap long guns I'd love to dump for some $$$.

There are some that take the opportunity to make a couple bucks (although these exchange rates are the worst I've seen).

I'm from the camp that turning in anything gives legitimacy to buy backs and expands the "anti-gun" agenda while they parade "all the guns that they got off the street" in the media

f*** them and f*** their buy back

A gun in the home is 22 times more likely to kill a family member or friend than to kill an intruder.

they got those odds reversed, it's more like an intruder will get shot an average 22 times :)

those are slim pickings comrades, $25 for a long gun, I'd do that without looking at the gun. $50 for a handgun, yeah, the times of $200 per rifle are long gone.

The POS derringer I own that only shoots one barrel is still worth more than 50 bucks. $75 for a semi-auto? You can't even get a used hi-point C9 for that. No operable gun would sell for that kind of price. GMAFB these are good for dumping your stolen gun (you used to kill somebody with) and since the good ones are kept by the cops and the bad ones trashed, you'll be getting paid to dispose of evidence.

Great. Another cache of old hunting guns will be brought in by old women who's husband's passed away and they don't know what to do with them.

These buy backs are stupid.
They're also a total rip off. $25 for a Remington 700 or Ruger No. 1? I hope what post #2 said is true that FFL's sit outside these buy backs and offer someone more than that. At least it keeps the FFL's in business and keeps good guns from becoming a junkie hipster's heroin needle.

Which I'm sure some cops also dabble in. Of course that's just speculation as not all departments do random drug tests for their officers.

They're also a total rip off. $25 for a Remington 700 or Ruger No. 1? I hope what post #2 said is true that FFL's sit outside these buy backs and offer someone more than that. At least it keeps the FFL's in business and keeps good guns from becoming a junkie hipster's heroin needle.

Which I'm sure some cops also dabble in. Of course that's just speculation as not all departments do random drug tests for their officers.
The Haverhill one years ago had a picture in the paper of the table of "guns off the street". It was a table filled with browning a5 shotguns, model 94 levers, bolt action rifles and mossy 500/ Remy 870. All old hunting guns probably dropped off by old widows.

Do the police check if anything turned in was used in a crime or is it just evidence disposal?

There's one run by Hartford hospital this weekend (in Hartford) . On their fliers they state that all guns will be destroyed except those that have been forensically shown to be used in a crime. Which tells me every gun is test fired and I'm sure thay have video or something of the person turning them in

The buyback loophole: Manufacture 12 guage handguns from wood, metal pipe, rubber bands, and nails for a couple bucks. Sell for 50. Repeat. ATF says you can't be engaged in the practice of manufacturing firearms to sell, but says nothing about turning them in to police buybacks. :p Somebody else try it and lmk if you end up in prison.

I find it acceptable when the money is used to buy ammo.
That's too bad.

They do this so they can display a table full of guns to convince people on the fence that there's a "gun problem".

A long as useful idiots provide the photo-op, they don't care what you do with the money.

That's too bad.

They do this so they can display a table full of guns to convince people on the fence that there's a "gun problem".

A long as useful idiots provide the photo-op, they don't care what you do with the money.
This would be a great opportunity for The Gun Parlor to get out of the business.

Anyone thinking of "gaming" the buyback by turning in some worthless crap, please note the Worcester Telegram & Gazette (T&G) editorial today quoted the number of guns turned in at buybacks as evidence of some bs to backup their argument against reciprocity.

Hirsh cites these statistics - 3,200 guns in Central Massachusetts have been turned in through these programs over the years, weapons that might otherwise come into play in an impulsive suicide, in domestic violence, in accidents involving children, and as a target for theft. Another chilling thought, 35 percent of weapons used in crime have been stolen.

As we’ve said previously, no single action will solve, or even have much of a dent, in overall gun violence. But steps such as Worcester has undertaken in community policing, in using ShotSpotter technology (conceivably threatened by another proposal, to allow silencers), in enforcement approaches by the district attorney and courts, and even those buybacks, all contribute to Worcester County having the lowest rate of penetrating wounds (by gunshot or knife) in the state. Let’s keep it that way.

Back
Top Bottom