• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Got the Green Light

jaypap

NES Member
The boss says we have enough spare change to buy a Garand from the CMP.

Any recommendations Service Grade vs Special Grade. It's a $350.00 difference.

H&R or Springfield Armory? I've owned mil surps but never a Garand.

Any help from those who have either grade is appreciated.

Jay

I love my Service grade garands both shoot well look nice....I prefer the look of the seasoned stocks vs new

If your looking to shoot and you dont reload maybe a Service Grade and the 350.00 in ammo

im tossed between the service grade special for 950.00 it is a service grade meaning throat wear can have a guage measurement up 5 and muzzle up to 3 BUT the metal is in collectors grade condition has new cmp stock....it could still have a bad bore(unlikely) out of spec parts ect ect...does this have any collector value. I dont know. NOW im considering a CMP SPECIAL for 995.00 complete refinish, new barrel , new stock and I assume all parts are at least checked to be with in specs. Does this mean it will shoot better than a service grade with a thoat measurement of 5 and muzzle wear of 3. Well it should but it might not. Its not easy....I can tell you any way you go you shouldnt be unhappy..... just remember its a battle rifle and not a target gun. on a good day with my reloads im under 4" with my serivce grades. I would have to improve my skills and a good amount of time on load development to get any better than that, maybe.

Still great fun to shoot

Last edited:
I had a service grade special. it was beautiful! i could not bring myself to shoot it. i know it was fired before but the thing was flawless and brand new looking. not a mark in the stock beautiful. i also have a service grade which i kept. it has a decent used stock and is still a beautiful rifle. This one I have kept and shootquite often without

My recommendation buy the service grade for ~600 put the other $350 towards a second service grade of another make! ,,,, or an SKS,,,, or a M1 carbine,,,or ,,,,,or,,,,,, so many guns, ,,,,,, so little money.....

if your thing is a brand new looking rifle however, buy the specaial in confidence!

My service grade that I got in January was a December '42 SA receiver with SA bolt, SA barrel, and HRA everything else. The bore rated a 1+/2+ and was bright and shiny.

MS

I thought about this last night
1. service grade + ammo
2. service grade + 350 should get you everything needed to reload for it. single stage press,dies,trimmer ect ect
3. haveing all of the above im tossed between more service grades or CMP special with new barrel.

So far it looks like the service grades are pretty good.

I went to Armory Street school in Springfield as a kid and since I grew up on the hill I think I will stick with the Springfield Armory over the H&R.

If I do it again I will try to get a different manufacturer.

It's not an easy decision.

I went to Armory Street school in Springfield as a kid and since I grew up on the hill I think I will stick with the Springfield Armory over the H&R.

Good choice. For a shooter, I would only do service grades. Special grades will be great, but mostly will be a safe queen.

I just sent in my cmp paperwork yesterday. I ordered an HRA Service grade (not special) and 400 rds of HXP surplus. My reasoning for the HRA service grade was that due to likely date of manufacture it would likely have seen less use than a Springfield, and would theoretically be in better condition. I still plan on buying a service grade Springfield at some point. I am by no means an expert, but I've been reading all the posts I can find about M1s. Everything I've read points to a service grade M1 being a good shooter and being the sweet spot in terms of value.

I need to take some pictures of my SA Service grade I got 2 weeks ago. 5,970,xxx. New CMP Wood, Barrel Marked NM with Star and Punch and T Markings - 8 54,
NM Op Rod, Trigger Group is mixed with WRA and SA-12 Trigger Guard, Muzzle = 1, TE = 2.

I been looking around for a true side by side test between the service grade and the cmp special that has new wood barrel and is completely overhauled.

A new barrel simply doesn't guarenty its going to be any more accurate than a service grade....I'm tempted to buy a cmp special but when I start thinking about it a decent match grade barrel replacement on one of my current service grades might do me more good.

You still cant go wrong. Search around the cmp forums there's a good right up on accurizeing the m1 garand. Pretty straight forward stuff and it keeps it all garand match leagal.
Cmp is by far the best deal on garands period. See what you can buy locally for under 700.00.......you will either laugh or cry.

If you have not found this yet its a good watch and the web site is fantastic

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=4269

Last edited:
I just got my H&R M1 Garand today from the CMP and its such an easy process. The rifle was $625 for service grade and it looks new, not a scratch on it. Took 3weeks to receive. Muzzle 2x, Throat 3x, Rifle grade G3-HRA. Most local banks will do the notarizing for free. Check out ODCMP.com or give them a call they are so nice to deal with. Class A LTC meets the requirement for participation in marksmanship, dont need to do a CMP match if you cant. IM me if you need help with anything. Good luck I hear they are running low on garands. If you can make a small donation when you submit your paperwork please please do so.

This post made me do a write up on the CMP process and some tips to get it done:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...9-CMP-HR-M1-Garand-Arived-today-tips-and-pics

Peter

Attachments

• IMAG0161.jpg
    IMAG0161.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I was reading through the CMP forums...one section called ask Oresk(cmp director) I came across a post that asked how many M1 garands have been processed through the DMC/CMP. The response was 500,000 or so. This seems like a small number to me. I did learn though that when it was the DMC
They had a limit of 6000 per year. I wish I knew more about the dcm/cmp 20+ years ago.

Are you still in the area? I grew up "on the hill" also and still live close by. My M1 is a Springfield for the same reason. My 03 also. If you would like to look at it, let me know.

Back
Top Bottom