Got Pulled over, Trooper questions me on.....Concealed Carry permit

Yes, these are the questions LEO's ask of armed citizens they consider to be "on the same team." I gotta say, j_c, I think you're living in a dream world with that whole "LEO's will see me as one of the good guys" thing.

Face it, if this story is factual, there was no way this was going to end up pleasant, declare or no. "Do you really need a gun? How were you able to get a gun permit?" Those questions have nothing to do with whether or not he informed the officer at the outset.

to each his / her own.

while some people want to get defensive for being stoped and ask "for their papers" as written here, i prefer just chill out, common courtesy goes a long way.

i'm not kissing no ones ass either, just common courtesy.

bottom line, speeding with a car full of guns is bad... mmmmkay

There should be a "Should I Present My Papers" mega-thread.... This has been hashed to death. Do what you will, but 100% of the LEO's I've spoken to, say the same thing: "Don't hand me your LTC unless I ask for it"....

As to the OP, if indeed this exchange took place, it's a safe bet that this trooper needs a bit or reeling in...It's no surprise that there's anti-2A LEOs out there, but that does not give them license to be discourteous, judgmental and feeling the need to lecture you. I would report this incident post-haste....

I got pulled over on my way home from the gun range, as soon as I saw the blue lights come on I knew he was coming after me, I was speeding. The 2 officers walked over to my car, one officer was looking in my back window of my chevy tahoe while the other officer was asking me for my license and registration(he takes them and walks back to his car. The second officer is still looking around and see's my gun case so I decided to offer up that I do have CCW permit. Let me explain, I have a chevy tahoe that has no trunk and when I go to the range I have a range bag that carries all my equipment for the range(eye wear, ammo, cleaning equipment,etc, etc) and I just leave my gun boxes out in the open in the way back of the truck because they wont fit in the bag. So the officer who took my license and registration starts drilling me, WHY didnt you tell me right away about your CCW permit?? Why do you have a CCW permit? Do you own your own business? DO you really need a Gun? How where you able to get a gun permit? This goes on and on trust me!!!!! I tell him I have a right to carry a gun just like you do and it is my right as a citizens of the US. I know I am getting a ticket but at this point I dont care, just give it to me and let me go. I really couldnt believe how much he drilled me and made me feel like I was a criminal for carrying a gun.

Aren't you supposed to tell them right away that you are a CCW holder and am carrying? That's a requirement for UTAH, you have to notify them soonest.

I know that IL does have a CCW permit. I am unaware of the statute in WI.

Did you really think that important people would not be able to obtain LEGAL packing people? It is the same reasoning behind a non-resident alien being able to obtain a LTC in the Commonwealth whereas a resident alien is forbidden from doing so.

The important people get protection. IL allows security companies to arm CCW.

IL does not have CCW permits. IL issues a FOID card, and concealed carry is verboten.

Aren't you supposed to tell them right away that you are a CCW holder and am carrying? That's a requirement for UTAH, you have to notify them soonest.
Each state is different with regard to the requirement to notify an officer of your CCW status. In MA and NH, for example, there is no statutory requirement to notify an officer if you're carrying. That's what facilitates these mega "should I or shouldn't I" threads.

For pretty good info on whether or not required to inform law officers this web site has a nearly complete dossier by state http://www.handgunlaw.us/ It also has a good deal of reference material about CCW and a mapping program as to where your license/licenses are honored. It has been posted before but it seemed like a good time now to re-post.

If you actually got pulled over by an "undercover" officer I am guessing that there is more to the story.

"Undercover" police officers do not conduct motor vehicle stops for civil motor vehicle infractions unless it is an extremely severe circumstance.

Just my .02

Undercover cops do and will pull people over for traffic violations...I am not talking about those unmarked cruisers you see on the pike, those folks still wear trooper uniform.

I got pulled over once by an detective (I asked...) who wore a t-shirt, badge and gun... he said he'd give me a ticket in the mail, but then let me off with a verbal warning.

Undercover cops do and will pull people over for traffic violations...

Although legally allowed to do so...True undercover officers will not pull people over for civil motor vehicle infractions. That is why there are uniformed officers. Most Departmental policies and procedures prohibit it as well.

I got pulled over once by an detective (I asked...) who wore a t-shirt, badge and gun...

Was this simply for speeding? Not saying that it never happens but if so it is not good practice to do so.

Tell the Gestapo trooper to read the constitution and pay special attention to the 2nd ammendment. I can just imagine how the Gestapo skinhead troopers in my state of NJ would react to someone if there was CCW here!

It has happened in Mass,as well as many other states. I have told my mom and gf many times,if you see a car,unmarked,don't pull over. Use the cell and call the sp. or if close enough,drive to the local police dept.

Too many cases of woman being raped by some jack ass with a $30.00 light on his dash.

Good info!

He was very nice about it saying it's well within my rights to carry, that LTC holders aren't the problem and that if it's not germane to the stop, there's no reason to bring it up. He did say that if the LEO asks you to step out, inform the LEO before doing so and ask how to proceed.

I only wish we could assume that all LEO's had this attitude.

David

Quincy is indeed green. They got rid of Chief Crowley a couple years ago, I think. A friend/coworker just got his unrestricted LTC in Quincy in Feb. He was told that applicants 25 and older are issued unrestricted licenses.

Also, I'm sure the OP meant "unmarked" and not undercover. There is a trooper in a dark grey unmarked cruiser parked/hanging out along Wally beach all the time; I've seen the car dozens of times.

BTW, its VERY tempting/easy to drive over the speed limit on that road; its a 30 or 35 mph zone despite being 2 lanes in each direction. Plus the timing of the excessive number of traffic lights just about begs you speed up to make the green at the next light. There are actually signs that say "lights timed to require frequent stops" Annoying as F.

Back
Top Bottom